2011 Habitat Photos

1GB

Seems like this section has been slow lately - anyone working on habitat projects? If so, feel free to share some photos here.

Despite a ridiculously rainy spring delaying planting ...
IMG_1042.jpg

and then a long drought that was much earlier than we typically see in MI, my pheasant food source might actually end up decent this year. I swear it's put on 3'-4' in the last 3 weeks since it actually started raining again. this photo is from ~5' looking dead on at my egyptian wheat:
IMG_1298.jpg

Due to my newfound fear of getting stuck I didn't get to plant as much as I wanted, being that I had to plant ASAP due to the shorter growing season in the north for my sorghum. (I highly prefer planting sorghum simply due to deer/raccoon damage to corn). I ended up with ~1 acre, alternating 3 rows of sorghum/EW and 3 rows of quicker-bearing millet/buckwheat.
IMG_1293.jpg

I also try to avoid spraying as much as possible - don't think it's good for the environment despite what some studies might imply. So I get weedy plots, but birds and bugs love good forbs ("weeds")! And birds love bugs - double win! So I've got a mixed primarily of buckwheat, a little millet, and lambsquarter, not to mention other various forbs:
IMG_1294.jpg

Inside the taller rows I've also got WGF sorghum and volunteer buckwheat:
IMG_1297.jpg

... annoying image limit ...

I primarily focus on trying to help the birds since they honestly need more help than the deer, but I did carve out a little spot to throw down some rye in a few weeks to encourage deer movement too:
IMG_1302.jpg

I've also got another spot where I threw down what little buckwheat seed I had left from last year. As a a result of tilling I got an amazing amount of foxtail as well (at least 2 different types). Most people aren't a fan, but I don't think the birds will mind the additional food source:
IMG_1310.jpg

Overall things are shaping up despite the weather. :)

There ought to be some birds in there somewhere! Good job. Maybe we can reclaim habitat a few feet or acres at a time. I always get foxtail somewhere too!

There ought to be some birds in there somewhere! Good job. Maybe we can reclaim habitat a few feet or acres at a time. I always get foxtail somewhere too!
I've resisted "checking" to see if my dog and I can flush anything just yet, but I do see the trails in the dew from time to time, so I know there are a few. Hopefully this fall I can have the pleasure of taking 1 or 2 roosters (not many birds in my area like they were 20 years ago). The plots are meant for conservation as much as hunting, helping to provide a safe food supply near escape cover so the birds aren't exposed to predators/adverse conditions through the winter.

Truly awesome 1GB! Sure wish that was in KS and we were best friends;)
Thanks and me too! There'd be more birds and from photos you've posted I've seen that you've got some beautiful brits to hunt behind!

This is also my 2nd/3rd year of trying to get a stand of switchgrass going and it's finally starting to fill in! I didn't have suitable equipment when I started, but this summer I noticed a big difference after being able to clip the CSGs/early-season forbs that the RU didn't get using a 3pt mower.

sg1.jpg

I also started clearing an area of undersirable shrubbery - autumn olive, in order to mow and hopefully encourage the switchgrass I planted here too.

IMG_1207.jpg

A shot after a high clipping just above the switchgrass:

IMG_1303.jpg

I don't have a lot of acreage, so I'm trying to compliment what is offered on surrounding properties from people who aren't actively managing for wildlife. Primarily adding a secure winter food source to keep them less exposed from predators and adding nesting/brooding cover. (I'm surrounded by a variety of CSG that is OK for nesting, but horrible for brooding, and woody shrubbery for winter/escape cover.)

I've also got a section of "old field". I was originally thinking about trying to turn it into more switchgrass, but last year I observed the birds use this more throughout the entire year with the exception of late december through March, than anything else. Recently having acquired a disc, I'm tempted to just strip disc sections occasionally and let it be otherwise. Right now it's a mixture of orchard grass, timothy, golden rod, queen ann's lace, small switchgrass patches, and other various forbs/wildflowers.

IMG_1304.jpg

Lastly I've got a small patch of little blue stem. It's not something I would have picked typically, but my mom had some extra seed and it's pretty to look at. I've been trying to help it spread by using a little RU when it's dormant to kill off the competition:

IMG_1316.jpg

Lookin' real good 1GB!! How long did it take to get the tractor out or were you able to crawl it out with the bucket?

Lookin' real good 1GB!! How long did it take to get the tractor out or were you able to crawl it out with the bucket?
I spent 6 hours on it with a friend and myself digging and sinking objects under it to try and get traction. Then I called a neighbor with a 4x4 tractor that turned out to not be as large as I thought. After he got stuck a second neighbor with an excavator who pulled us both out. The spot I got stuck was never a wet spot in the past, but we got record setting amounts of rain to start the spring - hopefully next year goes better.

Last edited:
Still looking good

Some more photos of the 2011 habatit

CRP5.jpg

Foodplot2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great SDJIM - thanks for sharing!

What type of grass(es)is that in the second to last photo?

What mix is your foodplot(s)?

Looks great SDJIM - thanks for sharing!

What type of grass(es)is that in the second to last photo?

What mix is your foodplot(s)?

The grass is as follows
Big Bluestem 25%
Indiagrass 20%
Switchgrass 30%
Western Wheatgrass 25%

The food plot is 50% Monsanto RU ready corn--no RU used after planting, note how weedy it is, (planted on east half )and 50% food plot mix from Milborn Seeds of Brookings SD---custom mix for my local chapter of PF--heavy on sorgum with millet, dwarf corn, buckweat and sunflowers (planted on the west half) total of 12 acres

Last edited:
Back