2 Trips, 2 vastly different results

jackrabbit

When the pheasant counts come out for the year I wasn't too worried, I am going to take my 2 trips regardless.

Trip #1 was in mid-November and featured all of the hunting within roughly a 80 mile radius of Mitchell, 1 day on Public Land, 1 day private on one farm, 2 days private on another farm. Bird numbers may have been down than in previous years, but it certainly wasn't anything noticeable on the public land and on one of the farms, the other farm it was probably down 40%. In fact the public land hunting was possibly the best public land hunting I've ever experienced in 8 years of SD hunting, must have just hit the right area that held a pocket of birds.

Trip #2 was this past week and was a mix of public and private. Day 1 was in the same public land areas as mentioned above, and the same results. Then headed to the Winner area for Days 2 and 3. To say that the bird numbers are down in the "Golden Triangle" is almost an understatement. Day 2 started on private where we have had luck in the past, but after not seeing many birds we moved to some public. Walked a lot of cattails and sloughs and saw one hen. Group of 4 didn't even fire a shot on Day 2. Day 3 was private land, and the farmer told us that he released 20 birds for us a few days ago. We didn't know that he was going to release birds for us, nor has he ever released them before this year (has had to every weekend this fall now). Honestly though, we ended up being thankful they released them. We hit everything we saw, which was most of the released ones and one wild bird. Without those released birds it would have been a long day/trip. And wow, released birds are quite a bit easy to hunt and shoot, for both humans and dogs. Either way, it was still fun.

Landowner said that the guy he bought the birds from has sold about 49,000 roosters in the area this year. He said that any farm that has somebody hunting on it for more than 1 weekend this fall has had to release birds, and they are lying to you if they say otherwise. 3 different landowners I was talking with while out and about all said the same thing to me, "the season needs to close for a few years or else the bird numbers will never come back." 2 of the 3 also said they may need to start the "preserve rule" on all private land that requires hunters to pay - you need to release a bird for every bird shot on your land. If 300 roosters (even if all wild) are shot on your land in the fall by paid hunters, then sometime before the following season you need to release 300 roosters. Not sure if I agree with that or not, but almost sounded like landowners may be willing to.

I am not sure I follow how shutting the season down for 2-3 years will help the birds? You can only shoot roosters so thinning the roosters in theory should help carry more hens over shouldn’t it? You need hens to build the population not carrying over roosters. I think it it pretty well known that roosters will kick hens away from the best feeding opportunities in the winter so I would think it’s best to carry as few a roosters as possible from year to year?

I am not sure I follow how shutting the season down for 2-3 years will help the birds? You can only shoot roosters so thinning the roosters in theory should help carry more hens over shouldn’t it? You need hens to build the population not carrying over roosters. I think it it pretty well known that roosters will kick hens away from the best feeding opportunities in the winter so I would think it’s best to carry as few a roosters as possible from year to year?

I agree, just stating what a few different landowners said.

I recall reading an article a few years ago that said that you need 10% of the rooster population to survive to the spring in order to repopulate back to what it was at the beginning of the fall. More than 10% of the rooster population surviving until spring could actually be bad because, like you stated above, they could kick the hens out of areas they need to survive.

I don't know if that would be an effective route to follow. A high percentage of release game farm birds do not survive longer than a few weeks in the wild. What has me concerned is the lack of hens that we saw out in S.D. We hunt private premier ground that several of my friends own and we cancelled our remaining trips after the first trip being a disaster.

The bird situation this year was very spotty this year from what I saw hunting in 15 different SD Counties from Harding to Minnehaha. Often a move of 3-4 miles made a huge difference in number of birds encountered, even in the east central area (Spink County) It's a lot different in the northwest as the cover is really spread out and we are used to traveling many miles between spots. Where there was some cover remaining, we had good results tho worked much harder than the two previous years. The areas east and south of Lemon were almost birdless. McCook and Lake Counties where I usually find birds---poor. Actually did better in Minnehaha County. A lot of the CREP was mowed and I did not hunt there much early season as usual. In December it looked like the CREP not mowed had been pounded to death. No birds on spots I saw them the last three years.
I had two good hunts the last two weeks of the season, one not mine to reveal, the other in southern Lyman on the last day of the season. Lots of birds to include hens. A little wild, yet 6 of us were done by 1:00 PM. Birds doing ok this winter as tho we have had a couple cold snaps, fields generally open for food and the longest cold snap was only about 9 days. Bottom line I am optimistic about 2018!

The bird situation this year was very spotty this year from what I saw hunting in 15 different SD Counties from Harding to Minnehaha. Often a move of 3-4 miles made a huge difference in number of birds encountered, even in the east central area (Spink County) It's a lot different in the northwest as the cover is really spread out and we are used to traveling many miles between spots. Where there was some cover remaining, we had good results tho worked much harder than the two previous years. The areas east and south of Lemon were almost birdless. McCook and Lake Counties where I usually find birds---poor. Actually did better in Minnehaha County. A lot of the CREP was mowed and I did not hunt there much early season as usual. In December it looked like the CREP not mowed had been pounded to death. No birds on spots I saw them the last three years.
I had two good hunts the last two weeks of the season, one not mine to reveal, the other in southern Lyman on the last day of the season. Lots of birds to include hens. A little wild, yet 6 of us were done by 1:00 PM. Birds doing ok this winter as tho we have had a couple cold snaps, fields generally open for food and the longest cold snap was only about 9 days. Bottom line I am optimistic about 2018!

Excellent assessment, Buck. My theory for east-central SD (since it didn't get pounded by drought) is that most places that had significantly lower numbers this year also had significantly less quality nesting cover. I think all the mowing/grazing of public land & walk-ins did a number on them (although I can't say what time of the year this happened). It also seems more ditches are mowed each year, which in these parts is a big deal. Also, I think the type of cover on our public ground is deteriorating in terms of nesting habitat. It's great for winter cover, but lots of it (in my guestimation) is terrible for nesting.

2017 Was a bad hatch and habitat challenged year. But at least this winters weather has been pretty decent, with no major blizzards or ice storms. The wildlife hasn't had to work too hard for food and there is adequate cover to survive.
I think we will see a good recovery in 2018. The months of February and March there will be lots of local chapter pheasant gatherings. I am confident the local members and landowners will come up with ideas to increase numbers.
I normally have a dozen pheasant wintering in the back 40, but this year we have three. More to follow. Have hope. Sdvikings

2017 Was a bad hatch and habitat challenged year. But at least this winters weather has been pretty decent, with no major blizzards or ice storms. The wildlife hasn't had to work too hard for food and there is adequate cover to survive.
I think we will see a good recovery in 2018. The months of February and March there will be lots of local chapter pheasant gatherings. I am confident the local members and landowners will come up with ideas to increase numbers.
I normally have a dozen pheasant wintering in the back 40, but this year we have three. More to follow. Have hope. Sdvikings

Yes it has been a good winter so far. I saw a dozen hens in one spot the other day. We will need good nesting weather.

Back