2 3/4" vs 3"

I was given some Prairie storm shells today. You know, the one with the "flight stopper" lead and the flight control wad by Federal. however, they are 3 inches long as opposed to the customary two and three quarters. What's the difference between the two sizes, and how shall I adjust my hunting style? Never used this size before.

First of all make sure your gun has a 3" chamber. If it doesn't, you'll need another gun that does. Or just pass them on. Otherwise, they are pretty heavy loads. In an auto you might stack regular 2 3/4 inch shells up first and second and use the 3" for the last long shot. Or just shoot them like anything else. In a double of pump recoil might be an issue.

In my opinion 3" Prairie Storm shells are way more than are needed at any time for pheasant hunting. But then I'm not a fan of the Prairie Storm loads in any configuration. I feel they pattern too tight even in a more open choked gun. But, each to there own.

In my opinion 3" Prairie Storm shells are way more than are needed at any time for pheasant hunting. But then I'm not a fan of the Prairie Storm loads in any configuration. I feel they pattern too tight even in a more open choked gun. But, each to there own.

I agree with this. I feel the pattern very tight. But your result may very. you can decide for your self.

I only shoot federal shells, just don't love the PS.

Also, I very rarely shoot 3 inch shells at pheasants. I change sizes From 6's to 4's as the season progresses and rarely move off the 2 3/4 inch shells. The only time I have used 3 inch shells are on some hunts over Christmas. But that was a few years back.

But if you are hunting without a dog (like I think you said). Might not be that bad of an idea. like I said before, you can decide for yourself.

I know there are guys on this forum that love the prairie storm.

Genuine curiosity here, did you form that opinion based on shooting experience or reading experience. Because I was thinking about picking up a box of 2 3/4" prairie storms too.

Genuine curiosity here, did you form that opinion based on shooting experience or reading experience. Because I was thinking about picking up a box of 2 3/4" prairie storms too.

I formed that opinion, from shooting about a case of shells at pheasants (and missing some easy shots) and then pattering them. Different set ups can produce different results. But I shot 3 shells at an old building and the BB's where so tight in the wad it put the wad throw the building. maybe i had a bad batch. I just went back too shooting the federal wing shok in the red box. I love them.

I am an early adapter when the newest thing comes out for hunting, so I was excited for these shells. and they were pretty new on the market at the time. So maybe they have fixed this issue. But for me I won't shot them anymore. but other guys on this forum love them. so you might want to decide for yourself.

I'm taking them out to the sporting clay range this weekend. We shall see how it goes.

Prairie Storm aside, is range the main benifit to shooting a 3" shell? What are the downsides?

My Franchi does take 3 inchers, so I'm set there.

I'm taking them out to the sporting clay range this weekend. We shall see how it goes.

Prairie Storm aside, is range the main benifit to shooting a 3" shell? What are the downsides?

My Franchi does take 3 inchers, so I'm set there.

Usually more pellets.
More powder so more force.
better for longer shots.

Negatives
More Kick-I shot 3 inch shells out of my citori Feather light and I could hardly shoot the next day.

birds at close range can be tore up. but you can do this with 2 3/4 inch shells too.

these are just some +/-...... 3 inch shells might be seen as over kill by pheasant hunters. I don't think may guys use them for early season hunting.

any one else have an opinion?

I personally use 12guage 1 1/4 oz 6's, in 2 3/4. for early season pheasant hunting.

for late season hunting I use 12guage 1 1/4 oz 4's, in 2 3/4. sometimes I move up to 1 3/8oz for late season also.

but this is what I have found works best for me after years of trial and error.

this forum is a great place to get a wide range of ideas and opinions, then you need to decide works best in your gun for you.

Well, I'm a big guy, thus able to absorb more recoil than most. And I'm hunting solo which, at least last year, presented longer shots. Sounds like these things might be worth a try, provided the tight pattern doesn't effect my shooting too much. A range trip is definitely in order.

Thanks everybody for the input!

I posted the below comment back in 2010. Things haven't changed with Prairie Storm.

"I shot a number of patterns with 12 ga. No. 6 2 3/4 inch Prairie Storm last week. I used Imp. Cyl. in a SBE shot at 30 yards. The patterns looked like I used an extra full choke, very tight. The spread was 16 inches with lots of center density.
It would really hammer anything you hit with it. It's probably due to their flitecontrol wad. It has a solid cup, no slits."

That said, if you had a gun with no choke (Cyl) and needed to get some range out of it, this would be your load.

MG :D

Well, I'm a big guy, thus able to absorb more recoil than most. And I'm hunting solo which, at least last year, presented longer shots. Sounds like these things might be worth a try, provided the tight pattern doesn't effect my shooting too much. A range trip is definitely in order.

Thanks everybody for the input!

I am a big guy also, I am just saying, when I shot 3 Inch shells in a featherlight gun, it packs quite a wallop (simple physics). They are great to carry but I only shoot 2 3/4 inch shells out of them. Other guns I have no problem shooting 3inch shells out of.

I personally believe this is why Browning Citori super featherlight only comes with a 2 3/4 inch chamber.

The browning is in the 6lb category for the 12g. its a dream to carry just tuff to shoot 25 shells through it in a day.

I am sure your gun will be fine (I don't know the weight). You will now after you shoot it at clays 15-25 times.

Okay, so I shot the 3" Prairie Storm shells yesterday at the sporting clay range. You guys weren't kidding about the recoil. They are considerably stronger than the 2 3/4". But after a few shots, I was able to be just as accurate with them as I am with my target loads. I used an improved cylinder for the first time and that took some getting used to. Over all, out of 50 shots, I mixed in (10) 3" shells, one for each station. I only missed three clays with those shells.

In conclusion, based on my field trial, and what you guys told me, I think I'm going to give them a try. Though I think I'll keep some standard Federal #5 shot in 2 3/4" around, just in case.

Thanks again for all the input!

If you are shooting a 20 ga. and use 3" shells - the speed and pellets are about the same as a 12 ga...I think. I know they pack a good kick!

On some ranges, you cannot use 3" shells or anything under 7.5 - at least thats the case at the Horse and Hunt range - Minneapolis.

What's your favorite?

My favorite is Remington Nirto Pheasant with Copper Plated Shot, with Winchester in Copper Plated Shot second, Federal makes a good shell also but they don't cycle in my 1100. Does that make them a bad shell no just not good in my gun, but maybe yours.
This year I will be shooting B & P. MB Long Range 12ga 2 3/4 inch Nickel Plated 5 Shot 1 1/4oz 1330 FPS. Randy Wakeman thinks highly of this load, you can google him he reviews guns and ammo and does a good job of it.
I bought a case and will have my Father & Brother using them also. I have been hunting Pheasants for 40+ years and know what will bag a Pheasant.
I will also say this any shell with pellets other than round is a Loser. Federal makes great shell's and the ones with the Saturn Ring is not one of them.
Just FYI the first month of the season in Iowa the plan old Duck and Pheasant load 12ga 1 1/4oz 1330 FPS 6 shot lead shot will work fine at low cost.

Back