1st week of pheasant season.

State owned Wildlife Management Areas can not be hunted by non residents the first week 9/7-9/13. This opens WPA , and non posted private. Theres very little private that isn't posted anymore. At least in the area I hunt. If you hunt on WPA's (Waterfowl Production Areas) non toxic shot must be used.

esetter means 10/7-10/13. I wish it opened this week. lol

not sure about school lands? anyone know if out state can hunt those the first week?

Hi all, this is from the Game & Fish website regarding Non-Resident pheasant hunting:

"Nonresidents may not hunt on lands owned or leased by the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, including state wildlife management areas and Private Lands Open To Sportsmen (PLOTS), for the first week of pheasant season. This restriction applies to all types of hunting, not just pheasants. This restriction does not apply to lands owned or managed by other state agencies that may be open to hunting, such as state school lands, federal lands that may be open to hunting, such as U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service waterfowl production areas, or to private lands not enrolled in the Game and Fish PLOTS program."

So looks like School land are a go. One thing to be aware of, School Lands are NOT marked. No signs or other posting stating they are School Lands. So be careful and make sure your hunting where you should. Otherwise, you may be in for a a$$ chewing from a rancher/farmer whose land your on.

WPA's can be great, I've had some great luck on them, sometimes better than some private land I've hunted. The Grasslands, don't generally hold many pheasants. There are pockets of them by farmed land on the edges, but you'll have to do some scouting and looking to find them.

Good Luck!

Greg

Also most school lands are pasture, because no one wants to do all that work (plow them up), for such a short lease.

So, a lot of time there are cows on the schools lands, and if cows are present u need permission to hunt whether or not the land is posted. Cattle are consider the same as if the farmer had a standing crop (I am pretty sure on this).

Thank You, GJW for info. Our land hits up against some school lands and never knew if I could hunt opening week.

ty
Jim

Back