19° with a steady 17/20 mph wind , is everyone soft?

Weimdogman

Maybe I am just crazy ? I think the conditions are just fine but I don't even see the goose or deer hunters out. Maybe tmrw forecast of mid thirties has them all on hold?

Softy , better days ahead! All kidding hunt when you can, not a fan of moving birds when the weather is terrible , may be hard on the population? Never seen any studies on flushing upland birds during sub zero weather?

Where I am hunting there is plenty of cover to be found. There are stubble corn fields, that haven't been disced ,and cattle in a pasture and stubble field. So there is food available nearby.
One thing I am curious about there are chokecherry thickets loaded with berries I wonder if the birds feed on those ? Not covered with tracks so maybe not at this time.

I have hunted when it was bitter cold with deep snow - birds circle back to cover or come back at dark.

Softy , better days ahead! All kidding hunt when you can, not a fan of moving birds when the weather is terrible , may be hard on the population? Never seen any studies on flushing upland birds during sub zero weather?
I don't have any studies, but I do have anecdotal evidence. There comes a time when birds are in survival mode that any decent hunter will leave them alone. I applaud your consideration for the wildlife'

Maybe I am just crazy ? I think the conditions are just fine but I don't even see the goose or deer hunters out. Maybe tmrw forecast of mid thirties has them all on hold?
Steady 20mph with gusts to 40mph. Wasn't a great experience but better than sitting at home!

As long as there is good thick cover in the area, imo they are ok if flushed.It isn't good for them, but it isn't bad either imo.

Where I am hunting there is plenty of cover to be found. There are stubble corn fields, that haven't been disced ,and cattle in a pasture and stubble field. So there is food available nearby.
One thing I am curious about there are chokecherry thickets loaded with berries I wonder if the birds feed on those ? Not covered with tracks so maybe not at this time.

I have hunted when it was bitter cold with deep snow - birds circle back to cover or come back at dark.
When those berries freeze,they won't eat them.

If there is 16 inches of snow or a quarter inch of ice with the temps around zero I could see giving them a break but with the conditions you guys are talking about, the birds are laughing at you.

Sounds like what we had in NW IA yesterday, but with a bit more wind. Not what I like hunting in (the wind that strong), and it was more difficult to get the birds. It was almost noon when 2 of us quit with 4 birds. This morning similar temps, but the wind was to be 10-12 mph, I was alone and was limited in less than 45 minutes. Not a fan of 20 plus mph wind.

19 degrees above zero is not what I would call terrible conditions.

If it is below zero I will likely not be stirring-up the birds, they just don't need me harassing them in those conditions. If you feel it is OK to chase them during sub zero temps, maybe do in the morning, as they should have time to find a good roosting place for the bitter cold night that is coming.

I'd prefer better weather, but Sage and I made it out to play. Glad we did, as it turned out to be an awesome venture.

I don't know much beyond the radius around my home town that I hunt, but I see WAY more guys out and about on nice days then on the cold/blustery ones. I also wonder if some guys don't have a bit of apprehension about hunting on opening weekend of deer season. Around here, the "iron pony chases and bullets flying everywhere" days seem to be in the past. Tower blinds and Mr. Buddy Heaters rule the day.

You must've been in a shelterbelt to have had a light breeze like 17-20. 😉 Over toward Thompson it was 30-35 sustained. Still, it was a great day to hunt & not miserable at all (especially when you're seeing & shooting pheasants). In our part of the world, things have to get really, really bad before flushing pheasants from cover becomes an issue. Your average pheasant around here has many easy options, usually within 1/2 mile, many times even closer. They live relatively easy lives compared to birds in other states, where 1 slough or shelterbelt or CRP field might be the only significant cover for miles.

Saturday, I first hunted the leeward side of a big shelterbelt. Zero wind on that side, & it felt like 60 degrees in the sun. No wonder pheasants like them, as did/do people with homes in the country.

As cold & windy as it was, it was well worth the effort. Didn't have to work very hard. We're still seeing really good numbers on public land, even with so much other habitat around.

20221119_144754.jpg

Last edited:
I used to love cold nasty weather to hunt in. Now not so much. I'm not afraid of it and will still hunt in it but I prefer 30-40 and cloudy. Mid 50's here for the next week. That's to warm but if I complain too much it will drop to 0 and stay there the rest of the season!!

I just returned from a 12 day trip in SD. Drove up from MS on 11/3 . My dog and I Hunted public 11/4 thru 11/8.

Was supposed to meet 10 guys (also from MS) in Mitchell for a three day guided hunt on thurs. night (11/10) and hunt Fri, Sat and Sun.

Tues. night all 10 of them backed out on account of the cold and windy weather forecast, so I was on my own for the rest of the trip. They elected to reschedule for January

The farmer let me hunt his place by myself Wed (11/9) and Fri. (11/11); and paired me up with his cousin and a friend Saturday and Sunday.

Weather turned out considerably better than the forecast that scared the rest of my group into staying home. Temps im the 20-25 deg range with 10-20 mph winds. My dog and I filled out all four days after the weather turned.

All in all, it was a great trip and the conditions were not near as miserable as the weatherman forecast.

254F4262-99B2-4A67-8469-0742F591F70E.jpeg426F8B93-C5F0-40C9-B360-E366EAFC0827.jpeg30137C9D-5366-48E7-9D63-0E7772A0FC3B.jpeg

Back