16 ga Winchester Model 12

$400-$450 maybe....but condition is only a part...barrel length, choke, Nickle steel, chamber, rib, grade all enter the picture.

And depends upon what level the buyer wishes to elevate the purchase.
Top refinishing may run $500 w/o new wood and what ever gunsmithing may be required to bring it up to operational snuff.
Doesn't need such as that, then good.

There are pecks of 16 Model 12s out there...I just bought a less than good example a month ago.
Basically, the less you want to fiddle with it, the more it will cost.
Great scattergun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info OD. The small gun shop is asking 500. It is a fixed full choke, couple small nicks in the stock. All original wood. Blueing is good. The gun has a lot of appeal to me as I am looking for a nice light pump but don't want to get taken.

A Bit High

The 16 ga. Model 12 is my main pheaseant gun. I would say that $500 is high for a field grade full choke (The most common choke). With modern ammo a Mod choke makes a better hunting gun. But, if you like it, I would offer $400 and see what developes.

Lock and Load! :D

Only you can decide what it is worth to you. I have several 16s, my model 12 is the one I grab to hunt with. I have hunted with a full choke all my life. I don't know why I would want anything else.

Model 12 16 ga has been my go to gun for many years. Bought a Citori 16ga. last summer, doesn't quite have the same feel as the M-12. hope i get used to it.

Wow thanks for all the replies. Sounds like this is a pretty well used gun for pheasants. That was one question that game to mind was the choke. Keep the full or have the work done to make it a mod. Guess I have to get the gun first.

I know this tread is over 2 years old but I'd like to revive it. Most of you know that I love the 16 ga. I have a Citori White Lightning and a '60 Sweet Sixteen. I have run across a really nice 16 ga. Winchester Model 12 choked Mod. It was manufactured in the mid 50's and has the 2 3/4 inch chamber. The gun is all original and I would say in at least 95% condition. Looks like it has rarely been used. I haven't seen one this nice that hasn't been refinished. I'm looking for some advice on the value. Owner is asking $700. I'm thinking it's worth closer to $600. Or is that still too much?

Funny you brought this thread up. I never did buy that particular one. I bought an older one with the slim stock, it is chambered 2.5" so I have to buy shells from RST. I didn't like the thick stock. I actually ended up liking the gun so much I bought another so I have two. Both are early 30's manufactured I believe. If you just want it to hunt with I would look for a cheaper one. One of mine has been refinished and one hasn't. I wouldn't be afraid to look for a refinished or to do it yourself.

Yeah, I know I could buy a cheaper one and it would probably make a good shooter but I like my guns to look nice as well as being a shooter. I also prefer the 2 3/4" chamber since I'm also shooting 2 other 16's.

I've looked on the internet and found some for $300-400 but they were in tough shape. Bluing only 50% and wood was quite dinged. I'm willing to pay a couple hundred more for one in near new condition.

This is what I"m looking at.

pix417375055_zpsd2478c52.jpg

pix724596703_zps3b57f09d.jpg

pix949532162_zpsd7e90e19.jpg

pix730120075_zps181f6c81.jpg

pix764071197_zps4d8213c4.jpg

Fine looking guns those model 12s. Here in Indiana 4-600 hundred in real nice shape, but the 16s are a little more scarce around here, so 700 is not out of line.

I'm probably not the guy to ask whether you should spend money on a gun. if I really like a gun and it's a harder one to find in great shape, I buy it unless it's unreasonably overpriced. At 55 I'm starting to value time a little more than money.

I'm hoping the Winchester 9422 that I have for sale will go. Then purchasing something else would be easier. I was all "hot to trot" about the Model 12 but now I've been thinking a little 28 ga. SxS might be nice. I'd use it in my field trials. Too many decisions!!! Still the Model 12 would be nice.

Pic of the one I ended up buying. It obviously has been refinished. Long live the 16!!!

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back