16 ga. Loads for Pheasant

DZ,In all the books I have. I found only 1 formula for 1255 Fps and that uses 30.5 grains HS-7 powder in a Federal Paper Base case. That powder has not been made for years. It has been replaced by Longshot pretty much. That is why I said you have to reduce to 1 1/8 ounce to get the speeds you want. Longshot produce's to much pressure to be produce a safe heavy load like 1 1/4 ounce in 16 gauge. The book I found that formula in was printed in 1995, so It really tells a story there.---Bob

Bob,

I understand that. What I was attempting to point out was that Buck thought you were saying there was no such critter as a 1 1/4 oz load in 16 ga. That's why he mentioned the Federal Wingshot Magnum. But I realized you were talking about reloads with a higher velocity.

Is this getting confusing? Is everyone on the same page now? :)

DZ

Yep sure am. You did read me correctly. Those loads 1 1/4 ounce loads are there but they only have speeds of 1165, 1175 etc.. In my 20 gauge, I hate 1165 loads for Pheasant I can cripple them but I cannot kill them. Unless I get lucky and get a head shot.---Bob

Guess I am an ol' timer. The speed issue has never spun my prop and I do not reload anymore. Not up on the powders anymore. In the old days you used denser, slower burning powders to push the heavier loads.
I have mentally trained myself to see the spot on the spot re pheasants and waterfowl, that being the head. The hand follows the eye.
________
Honda nx250

Last edited:
Guess I am an ol' timer. The speed issue has never spun my prop and I do not reload anymore. Not up on the powders anymore. In the old days you used denser, slower burning powders to push the heavier loads.
I have mentally trained myself to see the spot on the spot re pheasants and waterfowl, that being the head. The hand follows the eye.

That's about the way I see it too. I just shoot the standard loads and try to get them on sale for under $10 per box. I don't worry too much about shooting pheasants stone dead either because chasing downed running birds is my dog's job.

Futhermore, I find that hitting a pheasant is relatively easy, which I suppose comes from hunting them for so many years. So for me paying more for fancy shells doesn't improve the game any, if at all. Besides at my age, I prefer to spend my money on comfort items like good quality clothing, light guns and so forth. I'm thinking that I may need to hire someone in a few years to carry my extra gear, shells and pheasants just to make it through the day.

LM

Last edited:
Uncle Buck; those high speed shells, "Don't turn my Prop" either. I do believe the standard high brass loads should be used. 12ga. 1/1/4 ounce shot 1330 FPS. That shell was the standard back in the 50's when I started hunting. I now shoot a 20 gauge and the standard is 1220FPS one ounce of shot. I have tried those cheap 1165 Sport or Game loads and the stories I can tell about them. All I will say is NO WAY.---Bob

Back