12ga. Remington 1100 too heavy?

870-Lefty

Anyone hunt with a Rem. 1100 12ga., 2&3/4" chamber Modified choke barrel? If so, do you feel it is too heavy to hunt wild pheasant with all day?

1100 are great guns and have killed millions of birds I’m sure. I wouldn’t prefer to carry one all day though to be honest with you. They are a classic but heavy. Maybe we have all just became wimps compared to the generations before us???

It’s subjective, really. If the gun feels good to you, then you’ll use it. They may be heavy by comparison, but it’s not like they weigh 20lbs. The issue for me is how they handle. Only you can decide if it feels right.

Seems the weight of a gun becomes more of an issue as we age. If you're a young stud the 1100 probably is not too heavy. But if you are in your 50's, 60's and beyond it would be a load to haul around all day. There are a lot of lighter options.

Yep, they are heavy. However, so is my ancient Citori. If you have the gun and like it you’ll carry it. However, I wouldn’t go looking to buy one to carry all day.

Really subjective obviously. But in general, I'd say "no" it's not too heavy. Is it a dream to carry? No. But no heavier than a lot of guns guys carry all day pheasant hunting. About the same as an old style Sweet 16. Lighter than a Light 12. Lighter than many over/unders. I'm 49, not powerfully built at all, & carry a Sweet 16, which is nearly the same weight as an 1100. Although I wish it didn't weigh so much, it doesn't bother me to the point I don't want to carry it. I love the gun & shoot it well. That's why I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet of a new, really nice, & significantly lighter gun. Because by many reports, they take some getting used to (shooting wise). I don't want to go through the growing pains for something I may never like as much or shoot as well. I may feel differently in 5-10 years.

Nope. It's not. Listening to men fret about carrying 8 pounds of wood and steel is embarrassing.

Nope. It's not. Listening to men fret about carrying 8 pounds of wood and steel is embarrassing.

Tell me that when you're 72! :D

I think is is also a function on how your hunt is going, more birds and shooting the less you notice the weight. Yeah they are heavy but a great gun to shoot. I have doubles that are close to that weight. These heavier guns are typically more forgiving to shoot compared to lighter guns with same loads. Again i will say when hunting i dint notice the recoil, however, when target shooting or siting in i do. My father carried his 1100 with a 30" plain barrel till he stopped hunting when he turned 75. I did buy him a 26" barrel but he rarely used it.

They are not as heavy as an a-5 mag.Ive used a lot of 1100's, and 1187's.Great, dependable guns.I always load 5 shells.

With bird numbers down I think it is heavy for a field gun. I’m 48 and have lugged some big uns around to include a Citori 12 gauge that was over the 8 pound mark. I think something a little under is 7 is optimal. Franchi Affinity, Browning Maxxis, Beretta A 400, a plethora of Benellis, Winchester SX3 or 4, all these are good medium weight guns.

Carried my dad’s old 1100 around all day yesterday. It seemed light compared to the Citori I carried all day the day before. That being said, I would like to get a lighter 12 gauge late season option.

Carried my dad’s old 1100 around all day yesterday. It seemed light compared to the Citori I carried all day the day before. That being said, I would like to get a lighter 12 gauge late season option.
I use an 1187 premier a lot in late season, hunting in snow in montana. Ic seems to work best. It does get a little heavy, but it has good range.I also use a 20 gauge 1187 field gun, on private land, ic, or mod, 3 inch lead loads usually. It's light! Nice field gun, with good fire power

I don’t have a huge 12 ga stable but have a pretty good mix of configurations across the gauge spectrum, if you ever get to Minot and want to try/borrow any of them give me a shout. My biggest gripe of the shotgun world there isn’t a good method to try before you buy kind of like there is in the pistol world.

Jaquas (Jaquas.com) has a Fabarm L4s Grey Hunter (used) for $1195. Go to their Gun List in the main menu. Choose Field, 12 gauge, Fabarm, and Used in the search fields. My 1100 with a 26 inch barrel is 8 pounds. My L4s Initial Hunter is 6 3/4 pounds with a 28 inch barrel. They are very easy guns to adjust for POA/POI. Softer shooting than an OU but not as soft as an 1100 mostly due to the weight difference.

Back