12 vs 20 shells comparisons

llsetter

I am deciding whether to buy either a 12 or 20 gauge for hunting pheasants 75% of time & grouse, woodcock the rest. (The 16 gauge is a great gauge, but not one of my choices in this conversation.) I'm sure this topic as been discussed at length & many times in various formats, so here's my stab at this dilema.

Current/modern shotgun shells have come a long way from the old days. More choices & better components. I realize there are many shotgun shell companies offering various weights, shot size & shot materials such as tungsten, but for this discussion I'm going to use Fiocchi, Federal & Winchester lead shot. From all the different shell configurations from these 3 companies, IMO I chose the following 2 most solid/effective loads form their websites. Others might choose differently.

2.75"
12 ga 1 1/4... 1 3/8
20 ga 1 1/8... 1 1/4

3"
12 ga 1 5/8... 1 3/4
20 ga 1 1/4... 1 5/16

Of note, I would mostly like not use 3" 12 ga for pheasants but would use 3" 20ga.

It appears from this small chart that using these loads, a pheasant hunter loses an 1/8 or 1/4 of shot using a 20 vs 12. Is this the main reason why many 20 ga advocates recommend carrying a lighter 20 vs 12? And then you get into the 3" roman candle. Is it effective? necessary? shot string issues? poor patterns? etc..

Would like advice on what you know & your experiences.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are getting 1.25oz 2.75" 20ga or 1-5/16oz 3" 20ga. Unless their Turkey loads. I have seen 1-1/2oz 3" 20ga Federal Heavy weight Turkey loads.

I use 1.25oz in 12, 16 and 20. Just like to switch up guns often. Just seems to work for me.

Rounded loads in any gauge throw the best patterns and shortest shot strings. These would be 1 1/4oz 12ga @1300fps and 1oz 20ga @1220fps. I personally don't think you need any "magnum" loads to effectively kill pheasants and I feel most confident shooting these 1oz loads at wild roosters and can drop a rooster stone dead out to 40yds. Imo if a person needs more than 1oz of shot to feel confident they should not shoot a 20 as they don't seem to pattern heavier loads well. Let the discussion begin.:D

Well,you can shoot 1oz loads in either a 20-16-12. Likely the individual firearm and choke will have more influence on pattern than the gauge. If you need a heavier payload then the larger bores will usually give you more velocity and likely better patterns. I have owned and killed birds with both 12 and 20 and truthfully don't find one kills any different than the other. Having said that im thinking of trying a 16 this year. Life is too short to not have some fun right?

The 20 ga loads chosen are for turkeys. Wanted to see if you guys feel the need to use them so that most of my bases are covered with the 20 ga. I realize pattern your loads & chokes is essential in this process to really see how your gun performs. Is the 12 overall better & preferred than the 20 when it comes to pheasant hunting? Or is the 20 ga ALL one ever needs?

The 20 ga loads chosen are for turkeys. Wanted to see if you guys feel the need to use them so that most of my bases are covered with the 20 ga. I realize pattern your loads & chokes is essential in this process to really see how your gun performs. Is the 12 overall better & preferred than the 20 when it comes to pheasant hunting? Or is the 20 ga ALL one ever needs?

Your really getting into personal opinion with much of this. Many hunt only with a 20ga and to them. that's all they need. To others, they wouldn't caught dead with anything but a 12ga.

It really has to be up to you in the end.

Interesting discussion...here's input from an "old guy."

I own both a 12 and 20. The 12 is an old A5 and the 20 is a Bng. Gold. both 26" and improved cyl.

The A5 mounts better,faster than my 20, probably cuz I've shot it for 50 years and the "hump" seems to line up better.

I use the 20 for sporty's and generally outshoot those that use their 12's.

Both guns seem to pattern better with 7.5's. Size of shell doesn't seem to matter much with birds, but 7.5 and 8's pattern well with sporty's.

Here would be a thought from a " not quite so old guy as Johnny":D. I shoot both at pheasants. I have killed them dead with both for many years. I tend to agree with Onpoint that this is more of a personal decision, vs one is better than the other. If I was to limit myself to only one gun, I doubt it would be a 20. I would be more apt to shoot a light 12.

A 12 can do everything a 20 can do and more. At the risk of being a broken record, you can really learn a lot more about this subject by reading Bob Brister's book, Shotgunning: The Art and the Science.

DOG GUN TIME:

Perhaps you could enlighten us about what Brister say's about 12's and 20's, so we don't have to plow through the book - your thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
12 or 20

Might just want to have both a 20 and a 12, then you can change off and enjoy the differences between the two. Kinda like changing muskie baits or broadheads; it makes things interesting and gives you a reason to practice, buy more stuff and spend more money. I shoot a 12 autoloader, and want to buy an ou in 12. If I live long enough I would like to shoot a 20, as well. Along with two pair of boots, I think two pair of guns is a good idea too.

Back