12 ga Loads for a Mixed Bag

Schemy

What size loads do you guys shoot when you may encounter a mixed bag. Was thinking 6's, but didn't know if I would turn any quail I encountered into dust. Anytime I've hunted quail in the past, we've usually shot 7's or 8's. But I don't think that would take down any rooster that we could come across.

Thanks

I always carry some 8s in my other pocket if quail are possible.

I hunt 95% of the time with a 16 ga, and nearly always with a repeating gun, (unless I'm jumping ducks and might need to shoot steel, then I carry a 12) but in mixed bag country or cover, I generally load a 7.5 in the chamber, followed by a 6, then a 5.

You have to push the 5 into the magazine tube before the 6, obviously. Then if I bust a covey I adjust for chasing singles and load all 7.5s.

I use a pump. 6's in the barrel, 7.5s in the tube. I only keep two shells in the gun. If a flock of pheasants lands in front of me (this happened once), I can put another pheasant load in.

I am a deliberate shot. Couple weeks ago was able to pump out the six on a covey rise and get a bird. Being deliberate, the quail is out 30 yards so damage is minimal.

I live in Texas and quail hunt almost exclusively. I normally shoot 12 gauge, high brass 7 and 1/2 Fiocchis for quail. This round has 1 and 1/8 ounce shot and travels over 1300 FPS. However, you can't find the Fiocchi loads just anywhere so when I don't have access to the Fiocchis I shoot Federal 6's. Both do the job on quail.

I've often wondered how the high brass 7 and 1/2 load would do on pheasant.

Last edited:
Remington Nitro 7.5's is what I use on everything. Quail, pheasant, chickens. Never have had a problem. I have used 5's before but have had more success with the nitro's

Depends how versatile you want to be & how much you'd prefer to see a rooster fall, rather than keep flying. Although I prefer lead 5's, 6's will be sufficient for most roosters this time of year. Will a couple of them disintegrate a quail? No. I wouldn't fart around with different loads for different shots. Pick a shell & choke(s) & have at 'em.

Load the best shell for the principle bird you are hunting. If mostly expecting pheasants, 5's or 6's and worry about quail if they show up. If in quail country where you might meet up with a rooster, 7.5's and hope for the best on the ringneck.

With my sxs a load of 7's in the open tube and tight tube 5's . With a double trigger gun instant choice of load !!!

I was trying to answer this question myself and so I did some research and built a spreadsheet to give me some answers. Here are 2 screen shots that should help you out.

Image 1 theoretical pattern density. Red is sufficient for quail, green for pheasant.

Image 2 velocity, shot size, lethality chart. Green sufficient for Pheasant and quail, red sufficient for quail.

Image 1 above is 1 1/8oz load

As you can see 6's have sufficient killing power for pheasants as far as most of us can shoot at 1240fps however in a modified choke you theoretically risk a quail sneaking through the pattern at 30 yds.

For me I decided on 1 1/4 of 6's at 1250ish is the best compromise for me.

I shoot a 20 almost exclusively, but when I do reload some 12's for pheasant/guail I'll do 1 1/8 oz of #6 at 1250 fps. Seems to do a decent job on both.

Depends how versatile you want to be & how much you'd prefer to see a rooster fall, rather than keep flying. Although I prefer lead 5's, 6's will be sufficient for most roosters this time of year. Will a couple of them disintegrate a quail? No. I wouldn't fart around with different loads for different shots. Pick a shell & choke(s) & have at 'em.

I couldn't agree more. If in both pheasant and quail country buy some number 6's and go get 'em. Trying to keep different size shot in the chamber and magazine in some particular order just seems like too much thinking. Sometimes I think we spend way too much time analyzing things like this. Just apply the old KISS theory. "Keep it Simple Stupid". :) And in the end if you can't shoot straight it isn't going to matter what size shot or choke you're using.

I'm going to fart around with different loads. Anything I have to do to kill the bird quickly with minimal damage to the breast. Not going to walk around with 7.5's. But need those 7.5's after the covey is busted. Quail are tiny compared to pheasants. More pellets increase your odds for a good shot.

Well, I think I'm going to go with 7.5's followed by 6's. I have no clue what we may get into, but my research has told me that quail are going to be out there. I'll adjust if the birds start flushing out away. Either way we'll have a good time.

Thanks for all the replies.

Also, couldn't help noticing that Zeb has a mile of posts - 5,280.

Geez, a mile worth of posts! Do I get some kind of prize for that? :)

Been on this site for nearly 8 years and obviously must spend way too much time here. :D Still over 1,100 posts behind FCSpringer.

When and where? I think most go overkill on Pheasant, et least early. Hunting Phez alone in Iowa with my 20, My first barrel has a SKEET tube and 7/8 of #7.5 (Win Sporting Clays AA) going fast at 1300fps. Second barrel is an ounce of 6s at 1300fps and I/C. Later in the season (starting this weekend actually) the 7.5s get shelved.

6s are still a lot of pellets in 1-1.25oz of shot. If pushed to a corner I'd load 6, and keep a pocket full of 7.5s. I loaded up some straight #7 once and they were awesome...

When and where? I think most go overkill on Pheasant, et least early. Hunting Phez alone in Iowa with my 20, My first barrel has a SKEET tube and 7/8 of #7.5 (Win Sporting Clays AA) going fast at 1300fps. Second barrel is an ounce of 6s at 1300fps and I/C. Later in the season (starting this weekend actually) the 7.5s get shelved.

6s are still a lot of pellets in 1-1.25oz of shot. If pushed to a corner I'd load 6, and keep a pocket full of 7.5s. I loaded up some straight #7 once and they were awesome...

According to the info I compiled in my spreadsheet 7.5s at 1300 have enough energy to kill a pheasant dead to 25 yds. 6s extended your range to 50 yds.

I shoot Improved on both barrels on my O/U, and use 6's exclusively. I hunt over a pointer so I have no trouble knocking down pheasant at just about any distance up to about 30 yards or so. Over 30 yards I just don't shoot.

Quail I actually have to pause a heartbeat to allow them to get out a ways or they can get pretty shot up.

Moving to a 20 ga, this year. Will see how that works. Just tired of lugging that 12 around.

Back