12-9-13 hunt

rascal

was VERY cold here yesterday...was off work...up early doing some internet planning for a trip to Kansas later this month...talked to some DNR people on the phone..looked at maps..all that good stuff. Was planning some quail hunting for the day ..waited till bout 10am to load up the dogs and gear....didn't start hunting till 1 pm. I was checking out a piece of ground that I'd never hunted before ...it looked AMAZING. I only hunted for 2 1/2 hours but was VERY productive....Ace pointed 2 coveys and few singles.....I only managed to get one bird ...from the first covey point....no shot at second covey they ran and flushed wild ahead of the dog before I got up to flush....birds were running bout as much as I'd ever seen quail run.......even the singles were running. I did miss a single that held well...:mad:

Ace pointing first covey

Ace pointing a single in the woods

Ace on another single...taking this picture cost me a shot at this bird

Cool hunt , literally! Where are you planning on hunting in kansas? Been there several times myself.

Flint Hills region for most part. used to hunt further to the west but since last couple years of drought have shifted eastward. I went last January after our IL season closed....it was so so.

Great pics and it appears Ace is on top of his game!:)

I sure do miss the days of quail here in Iowa. I miss them at the table as well!:p

Thanks for the pics of your hunt.:10sign:

thanks...we've been lucky this year finding new ground. I was very worried about bird #'s this year with ALOT of late winter snow last year and bad ice in some areas. early in the season I was finding alot of very young late hatch birds. I think they bounced back quite well.. I try not to hunt coveys more than couple times all season at each place. I hope they continue to do well and I'd like to see them bounce back in Iowa as well....last few years I've had an Iowa pheasant trip in back of my mind and keep researching it but its hard to leave my home turf for a big unknown. I've never hunted Iowa. its same distance to get to good Iowa hunting as it is to go to Kansas for me so I just go to Kansas....and license is alot cheaper as well.

thanks...we've been lucky this year finding new ground. I was very worried about bird #'s this year with ALOT of late winter snow last year and bad ice in some areas. early in the season I was finding alot of very young late hatch birds. I think they bounced back quite well.. I try not to hunt coveys more than couple times all season at each place. I hope they continue to do well and I'd like to see them bounce back in Iowa as well....last few years I've had an Iowa pheasant trip in back of my mind and keep researching it but its hard to leave my home turf for a big unknown. I've never hunted Iowa. its same distance to get to good Iowa hunting as it is to go to Kansas for me so I just go to Kansas....and license is alot cheaper as well.

Racal, I contacted a gentleman who's working with the IL pheasant DNA study. He stated the study is still underway. If you can, each time you shoot a wild rooster can you save 10-15 breast feathers for the test? Place their feathers in a zip-lock bag (each bird with it's own/separate bag) and place them in a freezer for now.:)

I'll send you info once it's updated as to where to send the samples in/info. Also, can you keep track of where your shooting each bird?

Thank you!
Nick

Nick...I can try to do that...I don't know if I will get any more wild roosters this year or not....I've been focusing on quail

Back