1100 20 guage doesnt cycle all the time?

Ok for you gun gurus out there please only respond if you know the problem. I bought this gun for my girlfriend from cabelas a guy had a scope on it so he was shooting slugs out of it with a mod fixed barrel when you put 3 shells in it sometimes it shoots and the hammer stay all the way back doesn't jam just stays back like when you pull it back to put shells in it and it only does it when you have 3 in it? I took it to the gunsmith he cleaned it said it had a burr on it nice 100 bucks out the window anyone know ? thanks bryan if it wasn't such a good shooting gun I would just get rid of it but it smashes clays best shooting 20 ive ever seen.

1100 are notorious for needing o rings replaced regularly. The fact that it only happens when its loaded with three makes me think that the magazine spring may be weak. Causing the shells to not get cycled back into the breach. Sorta like the gun ''thinks'' it has been shot empty but hasn't. Make sense?

the hammer stay all the way back doesn't jam just stays back like when you pull it back to put shells in it and it only does it when you have 3 in it.

First I'm hoping that the hammer you are refering too is the Bolt? If not you need to better explain. The bolt catch could be sticking, and of course the magizine spring could be weak or broken. Typical if the gas O Ring is bad the bolt will not lock to the rear.

Find a better Gunsmith by the way! Because he riped you off.

A couple of to check besides the O-rings.....the gas ports will become clogged with powder residue. Look on the bottom of the barrel and you should see two small holes (I think). Clean with a small nail the blunt end of a drill bit. Also as mentioned, the magazine spring and tube will also become dirty with grime or even rust. Remove the cap and spring, then clean the magazine tube and spring and lube with light oil.

cr

1100's are GREAT shotguns. Look online for an old movie of the 1100 by Remington and you will see them shoot thousands of rounds through it (without cleaning) with the forearm wood smoking from the heat. Then they throw it in a creek and pull it out and keep right on shooting it.

First of all, the "O ring problem"... You need to ROLL the o ring off when you disassemble to clean; if you just slide it off you can cause cracks that will lead to failure eventually. Secondly, get some cheap pipe cleaners and use them to clean the gas ports in the barrel ring. Third, remove the butt pad and remove the return spring that's in there and clean it...bet it's never been done. Better yet, replace it with a new one. Lastly, shoot it dry...no oil or lube.

I had an 1100 for years and for all those years I kept a spare o ring in my wallet...never used it.

I think they said them all. Possible a weak spring, "O" rings are a wearable item. I get them from the hardware store for .10 a piece. use teflon on them to make them slick, always clean the gas ports, I would check out and clean....dry cleasner.... the trigger mechanism. I shot a twenty gauge for years and thousands of rounds. Never ever a problem. No recoil at all. In rain heat and cold. If it's an semi-auto, if it's not an 1100 gas design, (everybodies is now), or a long stroke recoil, like a Browning, the equals have not been seen. Of course I don't do a million bird Cordovan dove shoots, and or use my gun as a crutch or an anchor, in the marsh either. "New" is not always better, but optimum mechanical performance is. You can buy timmney triggers, stainless steel guts, a wide varieties of stocks and shims, barrels to shoot nearly everything. almost anything you can do yourself at home at the kitchen table. Only other issue might be your ammo. I have seen a lot of nasty factory loaded shells in the last few years, primers which don't fire, under publicized loads, etc. Bad ammunition will shortcut you systems.

My dad and I both owned 1100's back in the day and we had similar issues.
A friend suggested we only use Rem-oil or similar Teflon based lube. Once we began using the Rem-oil.....never had the problem again. I cleaned the magazine tube and o rings, then applied a coat of the Rem oil.

It has been many years since those days, but the Teflon lube really worked well.

okay thank you very much I am so dumb when it comes to stuff like that it seems if the gunsmith cleaned it he would have checked all that stuff ??

Back