1.5 YO Pup Will fetch pheasants but not grouse... ideas? Maybe afraid of feathers?

Thanks for the tip! I actually did this while we were practicing with the live birds and you are right, it worked. I agree that sometimes dogs get a bit confused when people are always barking commands.
A students gets confused when a teacher constantly barks commands. But when a teacher teaches the command the students learn. Your dog is the student and you are the teacher. If your dog gets confused it is because your lesson is lacking clarity. Teachers who constantly bark commands are generally poor teachers. And a confused dog has been taught poorly. Training a hunting dog correctly is a long, consistent regimen broken down into phases.

A students gets confused when a teacher constantly barks commands. But when a teacher teaches the command the students learn. Your dog is the student and you are the teacher. If your dog gets confused it is because your lesson is lacking clarity. Teachers who constantly bark commands are generally poor teachers. And a confused dog has been taught poorly.
Ok.

The pro trainer who taught and mentored me long ago told me "the key to training is bridging the communication gap between the dog and trainer". I've never forgotten that. Basic OB must be rock solid. Simplify and clarify the task/desired behavior. If you start losing patience, put the dog up and try again tomorrow. If the dog is having issues learning a task, go back and re-visit the closest corresponding basic OB (sit, stay, here, & heel). Always end a session with a success & praise, even if it's a small success...

Good luck with you dog...

Back