J
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Bird -- Hope the info helped. As I stated, for pheasants I would stick with a 1 oz load of #3 or #2 steel and choke appropriately for the distance of your shots. I've only been on one ruff hunt so don't know much about that hunting but would think a 2 3/4" 3/4 oz of #6 steel or #4 steel would work in the early season and a 1 oz load of #4 steel in late season. I would think a 3/4 or 7/8 oz load of #5 steel would be ideal but not sure if anyone makes one.
    Good luck.
    I have been just now going through the posts that I generated regarding steel vs. lead in a 20 o/u. I appreciate all the info you presented. I really enjoy shooting my Weatherby Orion 20 that I have had for over 20 years. I believe I can shoot steel through it and it can handle 3" shells. The info you provided is invaluable and very much appreciated. I live in Michigan and do a lot of Ruffed Grouse hunting but have been coming out west for pheasants since 1987. This fall will be the first year we have used steel. I am a pragmatist and know that it is inevitable that lead will be banned all together. I don't duck hunt so I am trying to figure out the best type and size of shell to use. Thank you for your input. John (BirdmanMI)
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back