Lab guys sorry but....

In October,November December and January I hunt cattail sloughs and my pointers/versatiles/Weims do fine.šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ƒšŸ˜„šŸ˜

My dogs do fine in crp,river bottoms,corn,and or milo fields, shelterbelts,pastures,walk-in areas,GPAs ,WPAs, CREPs,National Grasslands,and your mom's house.
So your hunting solo, your dog goes on point in a sea of cattails, what do you do?
I used to hunt Vislas and English Setters and if I walk into the cattails the rooster would hear me coming and run,
and it would take me quite some time to get to the pointer in a thick sea of cattails.

I keep a eye on my dogs the best I can. I use vibrate and tone to get them to check back or hold if on scent. I try and keep them within 40 yards of me or someone else in or out of the thick stuff. We all do it enough that the dogs know what is expected of them. Newbies I take out hunting quickly learn.

My buddy uses the locator collars on his vdds. I don't care for those but his dogs are harder to see in the thick stuff then my weims. Large solid color verses his being patches. He also let's his dogs run further out then I do.

When we hunt our dogs are steady to flush and steady to shot which is important so as not to be busting birds out.

This is 1 of my favorite pictures of my dogs because of the context. Female is on point , male is backing ,and my best dog is coming back as if to say those birds are gone. He already checked it out.FB_IMG_1546324693128.jpg

And I might add I have a friend who hunts more then I do( he hunts a lot) with GSPs. He wants his dogs to run big so he stays out of the cattails or his dogs are just busting birds because they want to charge out then hunt back. He has no interest in being in the junk.

I take my dogs into the junk he runs the perimeter. He gets points along the edges and fencelines. He runs GPS on his dogs and checks it when he can't see them.

"I bow to no one in my admiration for and love of pointing dogs; I have two pointers that as I write this are keeping my family-room couch from levitating. But if you gave me... six shotshells, pointed me toward a patch of good cover in good pheasant country, and told me I had to come back with three roosters or else you get your choice of my favorite shotguns, I'm taking my female black Lab Murphy with me... In typical, fairly open cover, that is, not in a thick cattail slough but more like a CRP field, a pointing dog, because of the way they range, is going to find more birds for you than a flusher... But the object is to put the birds in the bag, and from the beginning to the end of the bird season, nothing does it quite as well as flushing dogs - Labs, Goldens, Chesapeakes, and Springers."

Steve Smith, longtime editor of The Pointing Dog Journal and author of quoted text America's Bird, The Many Faces of Pheasant Hunting Pgs. 13-14

So your hunting solo, your dog goes on point in a sea of cattails, what do you do?
I used to hunt Vislas and English Setters and if I walk into the cattails the rooster would hear me coming and run,
and it would take me quite some time to get to the pointer in a thick sea of cattails.
I can't speak for him, but my dogs will flush on a release command. I hunt a lot solo so being able to get in a shooting position and letting the dogs do the flush helps a ton. I don't believe it make them that much worse on pointing. They aren't one trick dogs.

My point still stands - if you want to put wild pubic land birds in the vest then there is no doubt labs are gonna get it done way more than a pointer. Heck I've even seen some of them bros with pointers walkin around looking at a goddam gps while hunting. How stupid is that. Don't even know where the dog is.

View attachment 7854
Iā€™ve been to some pubic areas but none had birds.

Are labs bread to point, and retrieve all types of game? My Vizsla was great for upland birds, rabbits and retrieving ducks. Labs donā€™t usually go for furry animals.

Are labs bread to point, and retrieve all types of game? My Vizsla was great for upland birds, rabbits and retrieving ducks. Labs donā€™t usually go for furry animals.
Out of curiousity, how good is your Vizla on waterfowl. Does it mark and retreive triples in tough conditions? Will it make a 150 yard water blind retreive? Will it dive for cripples? I have been around labs for 50 years and think they are great on waterfowl. Are we talking the same kind of great.

Out of curiousity, how good is your Vizla on waterfowl. Does it mark and retreive triples in tough conditions? Will it make a 150 yard water blind retreive? Will it dive for cripples? I have been around labs for 50 years and think they are great on waterfowl. Are we talking the same kind of great.
You donā€™t understand why the other breeds are called ā€œversatileā€ breeds. You made that obvious.

I mainly hunt waterfowl, maybe 60 times a year. I have been hunting uplands more and the closest area to me the pheasants are sparce and spooky. I hunt my older flushing lab and his skills have gone down over the years. I have talked to many hunters in the area and I would say the guys with pointing dogs do better than us lab flushers. I get a lot of hens in my face but roosters running and jumping up at 40-50 yards.

That said last year I was talking to a guy who had a pointer and he said he was mad he had jumped a mallard out of the ditch and made a long shot on it and had a good mark on it and his dog couldn't find it. He told me where he walked and I said I was going to try the next field over but will look for the duck on my way to it. My old boy dug it out of a muskrat mound. I gave it to the guy and he sheepishly said those labs know there ducks.

To me, labs are pointers are both very versatile. I just think they have different overall skill sets.

You donā€™t understand why the other breeds are called ā€œversatileā€ breeds. You made that obvious.
Yes I do, that has nothing to do with it. You said your Vizla was great on waterfowl. What does that look like? I am just curious not trying to start anything. To me it is at a master hunt test level, triples, hand signals with casting, honoring, blind retreives. To other people maybe like you maybe, you need sone rocks on your pocket. It is easy to answer. What could your Vizla do?

Yes I do, that has nothing to do with it. You said your Vizla was great on waterfowl. What does that look like? I am just curious not trying to start anything. To me it is at a master hunt test level, triples, hand signals with casting, honoring, blind retreives. To other people maybe like you maybe, you need sone rocks on your pocket. It is easy to answer. What could your Vizla do?
It doesnā€™t matter. The point is a lab isnā€™t considered a versatile breed.

It doesnā€™t matter. The point is a lab isnā€™t considered a versatile breed.
It does not matter, AKA maybe my Vizla wasn't so great on waterfowl. But we can put the word versatile by him so he is superior to any labrador. Thanks, I needed a great big laugh this morning. I have hunted around a lot of dogs. I never ever think of their breed, color, pedigree, sex. To me it is can they do the work, not that they have the word versatile by their name. But to each his own.

It does not matter, AKA maybe my Vizla wasn't so great on waterfowl. But we can put the word versatile by him so he is superior to any labrador. Thanks, I needed a great big laugh this morning. I have hunted around a lot of dogs. I never ever think of their breed, color, pedigree, sex. To me it is can they do the work, not that they have the word versatile by their name. But to each his own.
Versatile isnā€™t just the description. Itā€™s defined by a breed used for furred and feathered game, that points as well as retrieves.
Do you still need more clarification? Are you laughing because you finally understand?

Versatile isnā€™t just the description. Itā€™s defined by a breed used for furred and feathered game, that points as well as retrieves.
Do you still need more clarification? Are you laughing because you finally understand?
OMG please get off versatile!! I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS AND ALL THE BREEDS IN THE CATEGORY! I WENT TO NAVHDA EVENTS PROBABLY BEFORE YOU WERE BORN. ANSWER THE QUESTION- WHAT DOES YOUR VIZLA DO ON A WATERFOWL HUNT? DO YOU FINALLY GET IT. IF YOU DONT ANSWER IT THEN YOUR VIZLA MUST NOT BE THAT GREAT AT WATERFOWL LIKE YOU SAY! I CAN NOT MAKE IT ANY MORE CLEAR.

Back