Lost my hunting mojo

kick them up

So as the title states I think I lost my mojo to hunt birds this fall and I am not sure it will come back at this point. Some of you will relate to this story but so far this summer I have had to put my Britt Rufus down in July and now my G.O.A.T Lab Josie Belle was diagnosed with late stage large cell lymphoma at 4 years old and just at the time we were going to breed her. Now I have another lab Lizzie who is almost 2 years old I can hunt with but I feel I owe it to Josie to stay by her as it would kill her to see us go without her. We are treating her with Prednisone as chemo wasn't an option. We had a big year planned with hunts in WY, KS, SD but those are all now off the table. I sure hope my feeling change but this one hurts bad and has crushed my spirit. josiesd2021.jpg

I'm full of advice haha. I say put Josie in the rig with Lizzie and play it by ear as you head out to WY, KS, and SD. Wouldn't Josie rather rumble along in the rig and maybe just hang around the rig while you and Lizzie went afield? Or tag along as best she could? Adventure in her final days.

Last edited:
First I am sorry for your loss and the current issue with Belle, but I agree with Britchaser. I say make her as comfortable as possible and bring her along. Maybe even let her do short hunts on her own. I did it with my last couple of dogs with age or issues, ten minutes might not seem like much but their enthusiasm for a short bit made up for it later.

I took my 14 year old springer to SD in 2018 and pretty much new he wasnt going to be coming home with us but I couldn’t think of a place he wouldn’t rather spend his final days. He got to smell birds every day and on his final day we took extra time and took lots of pics before we headed to the vets office. Still can’t type that without a tear coming to my eye.

I say all that to say take her with you and enjoy the time. She will love being along and experiencing the trip.

I wouldn't take Josie if she is going to go nuts when she gets left in the truck when the hunting starts. You know your dog and what she can handle. Hang in there, you still have a young dog that is counting on you.

When I took my dog for his last ride on Father's Day, it was with a new vet, the fella that told my wife, less than a week earlier, his day were limited. At the clinic, they thought I was leaving him there, that was never going to happen. He is resting right where I want my ashes to be spread when my time comes.

I’m sorry for your loss and I completely understand. I lost my old GSP in the spring of 2004 and couldn’t bring myself to hunt that year. First season I missed since 1970. I bought a pup in 2005 and haven’t missed a season since. It wasn’t the hunting as much as it was chasing and watching my canine buddies!

Google joe tippens and fenbendazole

I would definitely try the protocol on your dog
Not expensive and no big side effect issues

lots of talk in veterinary circles about it

I took my 14 year old springer to SD in 2018 and pretty much new he wasnt going to be coming home with us but I couldn’t think of a place he wouldn’t rather spend his final days. He got to smell birds every day and on his final day we took extra time and took lots of pics before we headed to the vets office. Still can’t type that without a tear coming to my eye.

I say all that to say take her with you and enjoy the time. She will love being along and experiencing the trip. I've never had this dilemma, but my gut feeling is to take your dog, and let her do as much as possible.

Back