any reloaders??

alan

im posting this here rather then classifieds... i had a guy i do lawn mowing for give me about 100 to 150 shotgun shells (he reloaded them) i dont know if i really trust them i wanna make sure they are good and wont blow or damage either one of my guns.. and i really dont know what shot size they are... does anyone reload here?? i thought if anyone did i may just let you have them or redo them and just check them out rather be safe then sorry later...i think theres either 2 or 3 black boxes of them and they are all 12 gauge and im not sure the shot size thought he said some might of been big like almost a goose load

Have you aksed the guy you got them from what he loaded as far as powder and shot? Personally, I'd dump them unless you can confirm what's inside and that they are safe. Why take a chance of doing damage to your gun for a few boxes of shells.

Unless a person shoots a lot of shells I don't see where reloading is worth it. I use to reload but sold all my equiment years ago. I have a friend from Wisconsin that I meet twice a year in Minnesota for some pheasant hunting. He probably doesn't shoot a box of shells in 2 years. Yet he has these shells he has reloaded and insists on using them. We give him crap every year. Well this year he had one that was a dud and just went "pop". Fortunately, he decided to check his barrel before proceeding and found the wad stuck in the barrel. Could have been a bad situation on the next shot had he not checked. We are hoping he throws his reloads away and buys some shells.

I have been reloading since the early 60's. I still do it today. I reload for my 20 and 28 gauge guns. So I have 3 presses, 1-20 and 2-28 gauge. I have very few problems with my shells for I am very careful and weigh each powder charge. With modern powders and formula's it easy to match or come close to factory loads. I have one hard and fast rule. " Never reload when your tired or distracted by daily life." I find it an excellent way to pass time in the winter when there is not much doing.........Bob

Too much of a risk due to the unknowns of the shells. I would pitch them. Cutting one open you could determine the shot size, but it would be difficult to determine the powder used. There are so many variations in hulls, wads, powders and load data for them it would be difficult to determine if they were safe without knowing the specifics. If you can get some of that info from him, it will make the determination easier.

Not Needed

I have been reloading since the early 60's. I still do it today. I reload for my 20 and 28 gauge guns. So I have 3 presses, 1-20 and 2-28 gauge. I have very few problems with my shells for I am very careful and weigh each powder charge. With modern powders and formula's it easy to match or come close to factory loads. I have one hard and fast rule. " Never reload when your tired or distracted by daily life." I find it an excellent way to pass time in the winter when there is not much doing.........Bob

Bob;

You do not have to "weigh each powder charge" when reloading shotgun ammo. The press measures that for you. You check once to insure the press is dropping the correct charge but after that, it's not needed. I have reloaded shotgun ammo since the late 60's and never weigh charges after the press is set up. I have never had a problem.

Hope this saves you some time.

Lock and Load! :D

Check Them Out First

Alan; don't shoot them unless you can find out for sure what they were loaded with. As to reloading, it's great if you can obtain the components at a good price and you shoot a fair amount of ammo. If you only hunt and shoot the occational practice round, it's probably not worth it. But, if you shoot a box a week, you can save up to 50% on the ammo. Gun Clubs can often get a deal on components that they pass along to their members.

Lock and Load! :D

im not shooting any of them..im thinking 100% safety here.. not only for me and my guns but if someone happens to be with me.....i just thought if someone here reloads and wanted them to redo or wants the lead id give them to someone

heres a pic with them inside the black boxes
1203101648.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
MG call me stickler for uniformity or what ever. MG weight about the half box and keep track of the variance in the droppings. They may be in the realm of safety, some are close to being not safe. I just the peace of mind of knowing what I shoot is safe and uniform. I agree with Alan give them to somebody to break down and salvage. They will never get anything but the shot. Everything else will be worthless and unusable.......Bob

that is right, but you can also keep the primers if you know the type. I think I would get in touch with the guy who gave them to you to see what the receipe is and if he was a little slow or undecided in his answer, well i wouldn't take a chance with them and just take them apart. if you go to ebay, sporting goods, than i think trap and skeet you will see a device they use to cut the hull right at the wad so you can salvage what you want. I think they are $23.00.
BETTER to be safe them soory. would hate to ruin a gun, hurt someone or yourself.
just my $.02

Centerfire ammo or shotshells, the only handloads I trust are the ones my hands loaded, period.

CPH, Have you ever tried to salvage Primers from a shotshell? The pin that pushes them out of the shell rests right on the flash hole. The pressure needed to get the primer out of the shell is great. It could close or damage the flash hole. If you try to salvage them be prepared for a lot of misfires..........Bob

Bobeyerite,
You know I have not, I only that the device's instructions I made reference to above states that you are able to save the primers, but know that you informed me off the problems I can see what you mean and I can see how they would damage the primer.
Thanks, I hope Alan see your reply

Back