Gun training puppy

I took my puppy out, fired a 20 gauge several times.Puppy payed no mind.Ive never had a gun shy lab. I did no training.
I take some steps to intro a pup to gunshots…have a buddy 100 yards away shoot, come 10 yards closer, etc, etc…while I’m playing with a wing with the pup…buddy is shooting a light load from a 20 gauge or even a .22 on the first go around…I’m terrified of a gun shy dog, and it doesn’t cost anything or take any great time or effort…but to each his own! 😄

I have used similar methods to what BB describes. Usually by myself starting with a .22 pistol. I makes sure the puppy is has their nose engaged in something before I shoot the first time. So far, I have never had an issue....

I put the pup in the bed of my old 1970 F250, show the pup the shotgun , explain to him how I want him to hunt pheasant and then give the pup a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon in his dog house. It's worked perfectly every time.

I take some steps to intro a pup to gunshots…have a buddy 100 yards away shoot, come 10 yards closer, etc, etc…while I’m playing with a wing with the pup…buddy is shooting a light load from a 20 gauge or even a .22 on the first go around…I’m terrified of a gun shy dog, and it doesn’t cost anything or take any great time or effort…but to each his own! 😄
I just have to keep puppy from shredding bird when my older dog brings it to me.I have not figured that out.

I just have to keep puppy from shredding bird when my older dog brings it to me.I have not figured that out.

Maybe, i dont know... Try actually training the dog instead of just taking it hunting? Just a suggestion. I know you said before training is for stupid dogs, but who knows... Maybe you got one

I bought a toy cap gun on amazon. Surprisingly loud. I'd fire it when we were in the backyard playing fetch. Did that off and on for a few weeks, and then took the pup out to some public land nearby. Wife would take the pup 100 yards or so away and I'd fire a shot off with a shotgun. Then move a little closer and fire again. Repeated that a couple of times. Pup was never bothered by the cap gun or the real gun shots. So last Fall when it was time for her to start hunting for real, I figured she was good to go, and I was right. We're early in her 2nd season now, and she's had a ton of shots fired over her.
No way I was gonna risk having her end up gun shy.

I bought a toy cap gun on amazon. Surprisingly loud. I'd fire it when we were in the backyard playing fetch. Did that off and on for a few weeks, and then took the pup out to some public land nearby. Wife would take the pup 100 yards or so away and I'd fire a shot off with a shotgun. Then move a little closer and fire again. Repeated that a couple of times. Pup was never bothered by the cap gun or the real gun shots. So last Fall when it was time for her to start hunting for real, I figured she was good to go, and I was right. We're early in her 2nd season now, and she's had a ton of shots fired over her.
No way I was gonna risk having her end up gun shy.
I forgot, I did the cap gun thing too…my youngest is 4 currently….did it the summer of 2019…you can’t be too careful, these creatures are with us 10-15 years…👍

Taking a shotgun out and shooting it around a puppy before any kind of conditioning is for stupid owners. Once you screw one up you’ll play hell fixing it.
What I did is first I took the little Ithaca 20.Next u took the sweet 16, next will be the a5.

I've used a variety of techniques with both of my labs to condition them to not only gunfire, but to other loud, sudden noises that may create stress for them.
I've used wooden blocks slapped together, vehicle panic alarm, staying protected in the garage during a good thunderstorm with the overhead door open, going to gun ranges and trap ranges...all while engaging the pup or dog in an activity they associate with normal/routine and fun. No different than training for any other activity you expect your partner to perform.
I work with and around law enforcement K9s and they/we train for those dogs to perform in extreme situations and produce desirable responses. I've picked up alot of tips from them over the years.

(lab owner)

I followed the advice of standing stone kennels on youtube. At 14 weeks i introduced him to gunfire (4th of july was approaching and i didn't want fireworks to be his introduction and risk shyness)

I loaded some empty hulls with just a 209 primer (also called popper loads). I had my buddy stand 40 yards away and point the gun away from me and the dog. I then played fetch a couple times with him before finally signalling to my buddy to fire when the dog was half way to the bumper. Dog stopped right in his tracks and looked back at the gunner, then turned back forward and got the dummy. Second and third time he flinched a bit but didn't stop. Then didn't care about it anymore, so we continued and worked all the way until he was standing next to us.

A couple days later i took him to the trap range and walked around so he could hear all the shooting from a distance, then stood behind a shooter (with permission) and gave him a piece of kibble every time the guy shot.

From there it was on. I started shooting the caps over the dog when dummy was in the air, before hand, and at random times. No negative effects, just excitement.

I shot loaded 20ga over him at 5.5mo just before dove season, then he was a hunter from there. Hes had a few hundred loaded shots over him since sep 1 and is good to go.

Gun Dog Supply and Dog's Unlimited sell 12 ga. popper shells (no shot). The report is definitely lower. I have used those to introduce gunfire to a pup while they are having fun exploring the grasslands in front of them. I only use 5 - 7 or so before moving up ... so one box lasts through quite a few dogs.

Reloaders can probably do this pretty easily.

I will share my current main bird dog IS NOT GUN SHY in anyway and in fact if I am carrying a shotgun he is excited ... but he hates fireworks ... he does not shake or cower when he hears them, but certainly wants to go inside.

Back