2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

Yesterday I had some very solid dog work from my youngest dog. Unfortunately my hot streak came to a screeching halt. He deserved better. Prior to this I think I must have killed a dozen or so birds in a row. The video doesn't show all the birds. There were at least 8 roosters in that little cattail patch. I had my hat tipped down too far, so the footage isn't the best.

Welcome to the 4 and 0 club. I'm also a member of the 5 and 0 club! 😁 Does the pup's tail always go that fast or does he smell them?

Welcome to the 4 and 0 club. I'm also a member of the 5 and 0 club! 😁 Does the pup's tail always go that fast or does he smell them?
He was definitely birdy there, but the tail wag is constant. Too say Cash has a high prey drive just doesn't seem to describe it correctly. My female, Berkley, has a high prey drive. With Cash it's more of a passion. After I have a bird in the vest and we are back to hunting, he will run behind me every so often. He doesn't slow down, but I know damn well he's checking on the bird. A couple days ago I got home late morning. I had a lunch date so I left the birds on the cleaning table in the garage. When I had finished getting cleaned up for lunch, I couldn't find Cash. He had let himself into the garage (regular Houdini, story for another time) and pulled the birds off of the table. He didn't chew them up at all, he was just laying next to them on the garage floor, proud as could be.

Unfortunately my SD trip next Thursday is looking like it’ll have to be cancelled due to the storm, luckily there’re a few birds around in Wisconsin to keep the dogs entertained.

I cracked up laughing hearing about your dog’s nutz again. Every time I’m like, “oh this guy” LOVE IT!

A short clip from our hunt from last Sunday morning. Private land, in the Loess Hills of Iowa. I need to find a better system for mounting the GoPro. I've missed 2 kills (and a couple misses) on birds that were to my right this week. In this clip, the popcorn flush was right into the sun. Some of those birds cackled, but I couldn't make them out in the sun. Then I missed my first shot, hit the bird you can see on video, and dump a second bird with my next shot (off screen). We hunted with a big running GSP. I was worried Cash would want to run big, too. He worked pretty good, overall.

A short clip from our hunt from last Sunday morning. Private land, in the Loess Hills of Iowa. I need to find a better system for mounting the GoPro. I've missed 2 kills (and a couple misses) on birds that were to my right this week. In this clip, the popcorn flush was right into the sun. Some of those birds cackled, but I couldn't make them out in the sun. Then I missed my first shot, hit the bird you can see on video, and dump a second bird with my next shot (off screen). We hunted with a big running GSP. I was worried Cash would want to run big, too. He worked pretty good, overall.

Thanks for sharing, Lefty!! I love a high intensity hunting dog. Very fun to watch!!

I love how Sage goes after the bird and thats part of the reason I got me a lab. My buddy tried telling me to get a pointer but it seems like a hunting dog should go after em and not just standing there like they had a stoke or somthing lulz

Depends on how they are trained. Dont think pointing dogs wont retrieve. I had a Setter that was tge best Ive seen. Water and all. He wouldnt quit .

I love how Sage goes after the bird and thats part of the reason I got me a lab. My buddy tried telling me to get a pointer but it seems like a hunting dog should go after em and not just standing there like they had a stoke or somthing lulz
I'll take a lab every time.My dig retrieves to hand, and finds them in the thickest cover.She isn't great at runners, but if they are anchored,it's a done deal every time.

Smasher,

That is why I got a Lab from very strong pointing lines. He is is trained and titled in both AKC and APLA hunt tests and is a monster in the field at only two and a half.

Attachments

• Whisky2.jpg
    Whisky2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 9
I appreciate the kind words, but would just add my $0.02 that a hunting dogs and hunting styles are as wide and varied as people who own them. I've watched some really good pointers pin down pheasants that Sage and I would have been running after. Love the dog you've got and know that the only people your style matters to is you and your dog. Best wishes on your journey!

I appreciate the kind words, but would just add my $0.02 that a hunting dogs and hunting styles are as wide and varied as people who own them. I've watched some really good pointers pin down pheasants that Sage and I would have been running after. Love the dog you've got and know that the only people your style matters to is you and your dog. Best wishes on your journey!
1671569612060.png

Back