Reports

One thing we've noticed is the amount of hawks that are around as well. The birds are easy pickings since the feed fields don't have much for weeds now a days. Was in South Dakota last weekend and I made the comment to my hunting buddies how we weren't seeing very many if any hawks. Kansas is hurting, hope it can recover but at this point not sure.
I saw a TON of hawks and a few owls in my first trip to SD this year. Believe me they are there.

Hence the eye roll…. That’s the exact point I was making. Yet people still think it is because they see more of their predator of choice. Sure they get some but they’ve always been around. Of course it’s habitat. I was being a bit sarcastic.

Last edited:
Hence the eye roll…. That’s the exact point I was making. Yet people still think it is because they see more of their predator of choice. Sure they get some but they’ve always been around. Of course it’s habitat. I was being a bit sarcastic.
I am to old for those stupid emoji's. I leave those to the jr high girls.

Alright ladies, I saw 9 roosters and 5 hens yesterday, all on private land. Hunted from 7:30-4:00. Shot 3 roosters. Would have had a limit but didn't recover the 4th bird. When that happens I just count it as my limit and quit. Saw 2 fields of CRP being cut. Many properties of CRP ground is up for sale. I had permission to hunt one and was informed yesterday that it sold. I have witnessed zero ground being put back to CRP even though acres were enrolled. Trash everywhere around WIHA properties. I have put in an offer to lease some WIHA ground.

I live in KC and am a glutton for punishment so I'm heading out there again thanksgiving weekend. Will probably hunt some WIHA in the Russell area (saw a rooster fly over I-70 at dusk last friday when I was driving out) on the way out to Thomas county then make some day trips to the Wakeeny/Plainville area while hunting in thomas county in the morning/evening since that is where the home base will be.
I also live in KC area. I was out your way this weekend. Drove out Thursday evening. Started Friday morning on a small private patch. Saw about 15 birds, all but three were roosters. All were extremely wild. Hunted WIHA the rest of the day. Only saw birds in one other spot. 4 roosters also very wild. Went back to the private yesterday morning. Put a nice clean MISS on one and only saw two more that flushed wild. Went back to the WIHA where I saw the birds Friday. 5 roosters and one hen all flushed wild. Called it a trip. Had a great lunch at Made from Scratch in Wilson on the way back. Cover was not anything like it was the last couple of years in the same spots. I'm done with Kansas for the year.

Two of us on one private field with one dog. Each bird was pointed. Shot a 7th, but couldn't find it even after two wild scrambles for it. Saw one hen and two other roosters. Central KS. It is absolutely the definition of pockets of birds.
Might make the list of a top 5 all time hunt.

Attachments

• best day 11-19.jpg
    best day 11-19.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 9
There is a 450 acre tract locally for $850,000. Here is another https://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/2022899/. Average seems to be $2000 an acre but if it has any deer hunting on it, plan on over $3000 per acre.
Thanks. CRP payment on the one link offers 1.5% return. Not real good. Would expect it would increase in 2025 if renewed but even if it doubled which would be a large jump still not a great return. More realistic would be 50% increase so 2.25% or so. Unless someone also paying to hunt on it than more likely it will exit the CRP program when the current contract expires.

This afternoon I was hunting chickens with no luck. This morning I was on a state marsh. I walked a lot but saw 15-20 birds. Pretty wild. The first 2 birds flushed wild but didn’t go far and landed in some pretty heavy cover. I followed them to see if we could flush them again and watched 6 or 8 birds fly out of the top of a big cottonwood tree. Followed them out into marsh instead. Flushed a hen and a rooster and knocked down the rooster. The dog didn’t get a very good mark and it took a while to get her on iit and she was having a hard time tracking it. Cattails 10”s of water and ice just thick enough to walk on but broke through twice.
Gave up. Followed a dyke for a while until we got to an access path and a rooster dragging a wing ran across the path 50 yards in front of me Same bird , maybe ? But it was a quarter mile from where he was shot and last I saw him he was on a different route.
This time the dog was on good scent and was out of sight for 5 or 10 minutes. And then lost him again.
Walked some other stuff and then walked a diversion ditch and killed 1. I think there are a few birds there and with some good ice and maybe a little snow it might be a good hunt

Last edited:
Back