Rainy Day Shotgun Under $500?

BritLab79

Any suggestions for a cheap shotgun to take out on the handful of rainy days that happen on my days off that I don't want to stay home? 12 or 20 doesn't matter.

Any suggestions for a cheap shotgun to take out on the handful of rainy days that happen on my days off that I don't want to stay home? 12 or 20 doesn't matter.
Rem 870? Or use what you have and give it a good cleaning afterwards. I use my citori 525 feather rain or shine and still looks like the day I bought it other than a scratch in the stock that I got on a perfect day.

I picked up a Benelli Nova for that reason a few years ago. I have only used it a couple of times, but it seems to be a pretty good shotgun.

Jerry

If you can’t kill with it, who really cares? More about fit and balance than $$. You drive too far to shoot poorly.
Life’s too short to shoot the wrong gun. 😀

Are you looking for an auto, a pump, O/U or SxS? I bought a Stoeger auto years ago with a camo finish for a turkey and bad weather gun. It's been a great gun.
I have a stoeger m3020 as a back up and would recommend. It's never let me down and fires even the cheapest shells just fine.

I'm with Rogue. A cheap but efficient SXS. Not much inside that is bothered by water, At the end of the day they come apart quick. Swab the barrels, wipe her down and done. No worries about an action full of mud and water. If you don't like doubles any used pump will do! A very under rated one was the Stevens I think 67?.

I am going to plug the Winchester Model 59.

You can purchase one on Gunbroker for $350 to $500.

The gun is a semiauto is available in 12 gauge and it weighs about 6.5 lbs.

The gun is unique for several reasons. The aluminum receiver and fiberglass wrapped barrel will not rust. It has an unusual floating chamber that is easy to clean.

It was developed with design elements developed by a convicted murder who Jimmy Stewart played in a movie about his life.

If I were to buy a pump for this purpose and could find one for under $500 (doubtful) it would be an 870...mostly for it's easy of breakdown, clean, and assembly.

I am going to plug the Winchester Model 59.

You can purchase one on Gunbroker for $350 to $500.

The gun is a semiauto is available in 12 gauge and it weighs about 6.5 lbs.

The gun is unique for several reasons. The aluminum receiver and fiberglass wrapped barrel will not rust. It has an unusual floating chamber that is easy to clean.

It was developed with design elements developed by a convicted murder who Jimmy Stewart played in a movie about his life.
Carbine Williams. I'm thinking he went to work for Winchester when he got out of the pin. Did he have something to do with the m1 carbine maybe? Any way's the 59's were cool. I have a 50 with the same system.

Carbine Williams. I'm thinking he went to work for Winchester when he got out of the pin. Did he have something to do with the m1 carbine maybe? Any way's the 59's were cool. I have a 50 with the same system.

My understanding is that David Marshall Williams was involved in the development of the short stroke gas system used in the M1 Carbine.

I have both a Model 50 and a 59.

If you are talking tough gun for wet, muddy, cold weather or for really dry and windy ND field waterfowl hunts (that fine dirt gets into the deepest parts of your gun) ... I would go pump. I have Browning BPS for just that reason. My son has a Benelli SuperNova. 870s are fine too.

Unlike an auto or double barrel, you just have to remember that you and only you chamber that second (and subsequent) round.

I agree with the Stoeger M3000 very happy with mine for waterfowl in all weather since I bought it last fall but maybe look at a Weatherby Element 12 gauge auto. I got one for $499 plus tax last fall for use pheasant hunting very happy with it as well.

Stoeger double

Any double would be easiest to maintain and clean, just restricted to 2 shots obviously. I would look at an Rem 870 express. You can also put skins on guns for protection that might be an option too.

Back