10 Mistakes Often Made With Puppy Training

AKSkeeter

https://missskeeter.podbean.com/e/retriever-puppy-training/
In this podcast, I list ten mistakes I often see newbies make while trying to train their first puppy. These mistakes include:
1) Repeating Commands
2) Giving The Wrong Command
3) Not Building Pup
4) Cheerleading Pup
5) Ignoring A Problem
6) Creating A Gunshy Retriever
7) Not Teaching Pinpoint Marking
8) Pup Trains The Trainer
9) Trainer Not Accepting Responsibility For Pups Behavior
10) Trainer Gets Frustrated With Pup

In this podcast, I list ten mistakes I often see newbies make while trying to train their first puppy. These mistakes include:
1) Repeating Commands
3) Not Building Pup
4) Cheerleading Pup
5) Ignoring A Problem
Great list, but I would add not following a program as number one. The first thing you need to do is have a goal for your new pup then decide what method you are going to use to get there. Borrowing bits and pieces from different philosophies will never help a dog reach its potential. Which very few dogs will ever reach their full potential trained by the average hunter.

While I agree there are several very good programs out there..like Stawsky..Hillman..Lardie ect..
I do disagree that one method and one only can be used on all dogs.
Strict adherence to only one method or style will not work with every dog.
The top pros..Rorem Farmer ect are continuing to evolve and adjust..
Agree that for someone just starting a program like one listed above is a very good idea..
Strict adherents to one method only will not work with every dog..style..temperament ect.

3 is probably the biggest if it means what I think it does - rushing ahead with training when the building blocks aren't being set.

While I agree there are several very good programs out there..like Stawsky..Hillman..Lardie ect..
I do disagree that one method and one only can be used on all dogs.
Strict adherence to only one method or style will not work with every dog.
The top pros..Rorem Farmer ect are continuing to evolve and adjust..
Agree that for someone just starting a program like one listed above is a very good idea..
Strict adherents to one method only will not work with every dog..style..temperament ect.
We are talking about "Newbies" not pro trainers such as Rorem. Hince the post topic.

1) Repeating Commands
3) Not Building Pup
4) Cheerleading Pup
5) Ignoring A Problem
Yeah, I'm guilty of most of those at some point, but still somehow manage to produce a gundog.

The first part of this video clip is the most common mistake I see newbies make to condition pup to ignore commands:

We are talking about "Newbies" not pro trainers such as Rorem. Hince the post topic.
If you had read my post??
I did agree that a program could be a good thing for someone starting out.
But I then did say that no program or single method can fit all dogs especially as they advance..
Used the example of Rorem et a.as a example that adjusts and is flexible and adjusts with time and methods since I’m more familiar with him.

If you had read my post??
I did agree that a program could be a good thing for someone starting out.
But I then did say that no program or single method can fit all dogs especially as they advance..
Used the example of Rorem et a.as a example that adjusts and is flexible and adjusts with time and methods since I’m more familiar with him.
I did read it. Maybe you should have read mine. Again we are talking about mistakes for newbies. The best thing a newbie can do is to pick a program like Evan Graham or Hillman and stick to it. They don't have the knowledge to jump from program to program or still bits and pieces from an internet forum.

One reason that mixing programs might be risky to a newbie trainer is it could potentially confuse a dog.
For example in the retriever world, the original Dobbs/Tritronics program used the ecollar very differently
for cheating water compared to the Lardy Total Retriever program.
Another example is most conventional obedience programs emphasize dog/handler eye contact while heeling,
while most retriever programs want the dog focusing out in the field while heeling.

As an experienced trainer, I do mix drills from a variety of programs, for example
walking baseball from Evan Grahams Smartworks, split casting drill from Dennis Voigt's program,
Danny Farmers approach to beginning cold blinds, and lots of drills and approaches from Lardy's Total Retriever Training program.

One reason that mixing programs might be risky to a newbie trainer is it could potentially confuse a dog.
For example in the retriever world, the original Dobbs/Tritronics program used the ecollar very differently
for cheating water compared to the Lardy Total Retriever program.
Another example is most conventional obedience programs emphasize dog/handler eye contact while heeling,
while most retriever programs want the dog focusing out in the field while heeling.

As an experienced trainer, I do mix drills from a variety of programs, for example
walking baseball from Evan Grahams Smartworks, split casting drill from Dennis Voigt's program,
Danny Farmers approach to beginning cold blinds, and lots of drills and approaches from Lardy's Total Retriever Training program.
Thank you..that’s the point I was trying to make..

Who amongst us aren’t guilty of these from time to time? Personally I do the best I can with what’s available to me. If I had it my way id train dogs full time and hunt endlessly. Unfortunately with work, kids, responsibilities the dog doesn’t always come first. Also I think being able to have multiple dog’s helps a TON. A guy with one pup is always going to rush him. Almost always.

Once pup is crazy about hallway retrieves and has developed a consistent habit of returning instead of "playing keep-away", we move outdoors.
In my program, must be steady for each retrieve outdoors.
I start with a small paint roller that rattles and is easy for pup to see and find, primarily working on the good habit of direct return to the handler.

1) Repeating Commands
3) Not Building Pup
4) Cheerleading Pup
5) Ignoring A Problem
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the listening to the podcast. I admire those that I have hunted with that have that "finished and polished" dog. Mad respect for those that get to that stage.

You don't need to pay some guy. All you need to do, is hunt a lot. Dogs figure it out.Never hit a dog, or curse at a dog. You will have a karma injection soon.

Back