Dog teeth cleaning?

benelli-banger

Had 2 of my dogs get teeth cleaned today…never done this before. Know a few guys who have it done…it was brought to my attention that it was needed when one of my dogs was in for another reason. Many teeth were extracted!

my dogs teeth get cleaned every day, naturally too.,..........bones! chicken bones today
youve never seen such shiny white teeth, even on my 10 y.o. lab, just like humans, healthy teeth and gums =healthy body

Chicken bones? I was always told dogs would choke or that they would splinter and stick in them somewhere? No??
my dogs teeth get cleaned every day, naturally too.,..........bones! chicken bones today
youve never seen such shiny white teeth, even on my 10 y.o. lab, just like humans, healthy teeth and gums =healthy body
I can only hope you are not serious! Chicken bones??

Chicken bones? I was always told dogs would choke or that they would splinter and stick in them somewhere? No??
My vet told me not to feed the dog chicken bones or steak bones or pork chop bones anymore. She will swallow large pieces and the risk is then cutting or slicing the inside of an internal organ. I used to do it until I received this advice. Maybe it depends on the dog. My dog actually EATS the bone. Some dogs just chew on the bone.

I'm dead serious. I take the advice of my regular vet over someone I don't know on a forum.

Bone splinters can transition to migrating foreign bodies very quickly. Be safe and avoid objects that can cause issues like splintered bones.
Life is unpredictable enough. Bad consequences are the result of bad decisions. Again, be safe.

Bone splinters can transition to migrating foreign bodies very quickly.
Excellent point!

I don't clean my dog's teeth. Others in my family attempt to brush them sometimes though. I have no idea how effective it is.
My understanding is that RAW chicken bones don't splinter near as much as cooked ones & can be safely given to dogs to help clean their teeth. I still won't do it though. Too much stigma attached to the idea. Plus raw chicken bones are gross.

Had 2 of my dogs get teeth cleaned today…never done this before. Know a few guys who have it done…it was brought to my attention that it was needed when one of my dogs was in for another reason. Many teeth were extracted!
I think in will be facing the same thing with my britt, have never done any dental treatments before but will start brushing and hope for the best. She has eaten the same food as my other dogs, wondering if britts are more prone to dental issues.

only bones safe for dogs are raw, NEVER GIVE COOKED BONES OF ANY KIND TO YOUR DOGS. ( i was pretty nervous at first watching dog crunch up a chicken bone) my dogs have eaten probably a hundred pounds of RAW chicken bones ,with nary a problem, my vet has 4 dogs she feeds raw diet as well, she feeds all kinds of bones beside chicken , like pork, lamb, deer etc. shes been feeding raw for many many years no probs, along with thousands of others out there. amazing short intestinal tract, their poop comes out white from the bones, i can post some pics of their amazing white teeth if youd like

I can only hope you are not serious! Chicken bones??
YES!!! RAW bones only, they love them, the bad rap about splintering bones is for COOKED bones, and is very true, my nephew is a vet tech ,hes seen the damage caused by a dog getting hold of a cooked turkey carcass at thanksgiving

I have been told as long as they are uncooked they are actually very good for the dogs. After they have been cooked is when it’s dangerous.

YES!!! RAW bones only, they love them, the bad rap about splintering bones is for COOKED bones, and is very true, my nephew is a vet tech ,hes seen the damage caused by a dog getting hold of a cooked turkey carcass at thanksgiving
Huh, learn something new every day.

Ive had my mutts teeth cleaned when they are under for something else but not specifically to get them cleaned. Some dogs are prone to icky teef and some naturally keep them clean IMO.
Not ever feeding raw or cooked bones. No need to chance it when there's enough other crap I can throw at em.

I don't feed bones, but if you consider the ancestral line of dogs, it would make sense that they would be able to safely consume bones.

My Golden has been chewing a "Benebone" since he was a puppy; at 11.5 yrs, his teeth are quite healthy. We attribute that to his chewing on this bone, which is indestructible. Try it...Amazon $10.62. Occasionally I'll scale his two front teeth, but we mainly rely on the bone...

I have my dogs teeth cleaned at least once a year. In fact, I will be taking all 3 of mine next week. I firmly believe in good oral health.
Curious what it usually costs you all? Had it quoted on my lab a year or two ago and a couple places were over $400 if I remember correctly. Ended up traveling about a hundred miles to a vet friend of mine who did it for around 150.

Back