Plug question

Bird Buster

I don't see in the regulation brochure if a plug is required to hunt pheasants, is it needed or not? Thanks

Short answer: Not needed for pheasant or quail.

Long answer:

115-3-1. Game birds; legal equipment, taking methods, and possession. (a) Legal hunting
equipment for game birds shall consist of the following:
(1) Shotguns and muzzleloading shotguns not larger than 10 gauge and using only shot;
(2) archery equipment; and
(3) falconry equipment
(b) The use of dogs, horses, and mules shall be permitted while hunting, but no person shall
shoot while mounted on a horse or mule.
(c) Hunting hours shall be from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
(d) Game birds shall be shot only while the birds are in flight.
(e) Any type of apparel may be worn while taking game birds.
(f) Legally taken game birds may be possessed without limit in time and may be given to another
if accompanied by a dated written notice that includes the donor’s printed name, signature, address, and
permit or license number. The person receiving the meat shall retain the notice until the meat is
consumed, given to another, or otherwise disposed of. It shall not be deemed unlawful for a person to
relinquish possession of a game bird for the purpose of dressing the bird.
(g) Each pheasant in an individual’s possession for the purpose of transportation shall retain
intact a foot or plumage by which the sex can be readily established. (Authorized by and implementing
K.S.A. 2020 Supp. 32-807; effective, T-115-7-27-89, July 27, 1989; effective Sept. 18, 1989; amended
June 1, 2001; amended July 23, 2021).

Now migratory birds...yes. That's a Federal Regulation and a Kansas State Regulation too. So if you pond jump ducks while pheasant hunting, better have a shotgun "incapable of holding more than three shells".

You can keep it out if you venture to Iowa. Doves, now that you need a 3 shell limit, but not pheasants.

It depends on the state. It is a federal migratory bird regulation that all states must comply with for migratory birds (except during the snow goose conservation order season). I believe some states apply it to all bird hunting and some don't apply it to resident upland birds. You need to consult state regulations where you are hunting.

Never understood why you would need more than 3 shells at any one time for upland hunting. Unless a really delayed flush with multiple birds, which that is the exception, shot 4 or 5 success is such low probability from what I've observed from my hunting buddies. And if you're a cracker jack shot, really no business taking 3-5 birds from a single shouldering.

Thanks for the responses I normally hunt Nebraska where it is not required, next weekend gonna cross the border and try Kansas for a change of pace.

Just FYI, if you ever hunt in Missouri, plug is required no matter the bird species. I thought my new found friends when I moved over here were screwing with me when we drove 4 hours to northern Missouri and asked if I had brought my plug. Back before smart phones, I had to use the hotel lobby computer to read the regs. Sure enough I needed a plug. Luckily my buddy owns a stainless fab shop and had some heavy filler wire in his truck. I'm probably one of the few hunters around that has a stainless steel plug in his Beretta 391.

Doves, now that you need a 3 shell limit
That's because doves are not an upland bird. They are a classified as a migratory bird since they do actually migrate like waterfowl.

Never understood why you would need more than 3 shells at any one time for upland hunting.
The primary reason I use a plug in my Benelli is that I do not care for the added weight in the front of the magazine/stock of 2 extra shells. The Benelli plug has almost no weight to it. The amount of times that I could have used a 4th or 5th shot is not more beneficial than adding the extra weight to the shotgun for me.

Gim, just load 2 or 3 shells, even lighter w/o the plug. Heck, I am not afraid of weight, I carry an 11-87....with five 1.25 oz shells... a couple more seasons and that could change. The weight is pretty much just what you are used to, until Father Time has come to visit too often.

Gim, just load 2 or 3 shells, even lighter w/o the plug. Heck, I am not afraid of weight, I carry an 11-87....with five 1.25 oz shells... a couple more seasons and that could change. The weight is pretty much just what you are used to, until Father Time has come to visit too often.
I use an 1187 a lot.I really like it, but it is heavy. At times, I will load 4 shells for sharptails that flush wild. It's my go to gun, when the others are not hitting.

I don't see in the regulation brochure if a plug is required to hunt pheasants, is it needed or not? Thanks

not in KS when upland bird hunting

Back