Tell Me Why I Need A 28 Inch Barrel

westksbowhunter

I was wanting a new 12 Gauge Montefeltro Silver but they only come with a 28 inch barrel. I have always preferred a 26 inch simply because they were an ounce or 2 lighter and just liked a short gun. Felt like I could get on a bird quicker. Maybe I am all wrong. Tell my why I should by a gun with a 28 inch barrel over a 26?

I have a Maxus with a 28'' barrel I don't feel it's too long...but i really meant to buy a 26'' I ordered it online and didn't realize till it was too late that I'd ordered a 28. I've had it 3 seasons and I'm real happy with it. I feel the 28" barrel balances the gun out better, makes it feel lighter in my opinion. I will say I feel I acquire the target on a flushed bird quicker with a 26? So this season I decided to use a 26" A5 for upland and I'm using the 28" maxus for waterfowl. But I have no problem using the maxus for upland. Not that big of deal.

I was wanting a new 12 Gauge Montefeltro Silver but they only come with a 28 inch barrel. I have always preferred a 26 inch simply because they were an ounce or 2 lighter and just liked a short gun. Felt like I could get on a bird quicker. Maybe I am all wrong. Tell my why I should by a gun with a 28 inch barrel over a 26?
I dont believe it makes a hill of beans difference. I shoot a 30" gun. I have a SBE with 28, had a 26 in the past. All shot just fine. I dont see any dif at all in the swing from length. But thats me. I think you will like either.

The Benelli website shows a model #10818 Montefeltro Silver Featherweight 12ga with a 26” barrel. I looked at 4-5 online gun shops and they do show it in a 26”. However, they were all out of stock although a couple will back order for you.

The 28” will give you a longer sight radius which is generally thought of as an advantage is some cases. That’s why there are 30” and 32” trap guns.

The 2” difference shouldn’t affect balance much but as you say the 26” may handle a bit quicker to the bird. The old quail gun duck gun difference.

The 28” is a bit more cumbersome in and out of the pickup seats if you travel with guns inside.

The 12ga 28” Silver is 49.5” overall. My SKB O/U with 28” barrels is 44.5”. So it would appear the semi-auto action adds about 3” compared to an O/U; I’ve never felt my O/U sight radius was too short. Personally in a S/A, I’d prefer the 26” too. Even a 24” would work for me.

I’d back order and get what I wanted if it were me.

Last edited:

The Benelli website shows a model #10818 Montefeltro Silver Featherweight 12ga with a 26” barrel. I looked at 4-5 online gun shops and they do show it in a 26”. However, they were all out of stock although a couple will back order for you.

The 28” will give you a longer sight radius which is generally thought of as an advantage is some cases. That’s why there are 30” and 32” trap guns.

The 2” difference shouldn’t affect balance much but as you say the 26” may handle a bit quicker to the bird. The old quail gun duck gun difference.

The 28” is a bit more cumbersome in and out of the pickup seats if you travel with guns inside.

The 12ga 28” Silver is 49.5” overall. My SKB O/U with 28” barrels is 44.5”. So it would appear the semi-auto action adds about 3” compared to an O/U; I’ve never felt my O/U sight radius was too short. Personally in a S/A, I’d prefer the 26” too. Even a 24” would work for me.

I’d back order and get what I wanted if it were me.
Thanks for the info. I don't want the featherweight though, just the regular silver which only comes in a 28 inch.

The gun guy at Cabelas told me that a lot of guys would pay a lot of money for 2 extra inches…

I see the regular has the AA walnut and weighs a pound more.

Is the wood the attraction?

You’ve got me glancing back at the 20ga Featherweight with a 24”. Like I need another shotgun lol! Thanks for the itch!
I wanted to be able to put 5 rounds in the chamber and I am sure less recoil with the normal weight silver.

You don't need a 28" but it really boils down to individual preference. As someone said above, the receiver on these guns is fairly long so the sight plain on the 26" is plenty long. I had a regular 12 ga. Montefeltro with a 24" barrel back when they were making them in that length and loved it. Great balance and easy swinging. A 26" Monte would probably be about the same as a 30-32" over/under. However, your dilemma is the Silver doesn't come in 26". Have you considered a standard Montefeltro since they do come in 26"? Save you a little money too.

I wanted to be able to put 5 rounds in the chamber and I am sure less recoil with the normal weight silver.
Good point on the 5 rounds. Made me look at the 20ga Standard and Featherlight. In the Standard for just an additional .3 pounds I'd get 2 more rounds in the magazine. It would be a 26" vs 24" but that's ok.

I haven't decided yet but I'm sure my wife will be so happy if I add another shotgun to the safes!

You don't need a 28" but it really boils down to individual preference. As someone said above, the receiver on these guns is fairly long so the sight plain on the 26" is plenty long. I had a regular 12 ga. Montefeltro with a 24" barrel back when they were making them in that length and loved it. Great balance and easy swinging. A 26" Monte would probably be about the same as a 30-32" over/under. However, your dilemma is the Silver doesn't come in 26". Have you considered a standard Montefeltro since they do come in 26"? Save you a little money too.
I have a regular 20 gauge Monte with a 26 and love it. I just didn't want 2 guns that look exactly the same.

if i were shooting an auto i'd be looking for a 24" barrel due to the long action. i hunted with a 24" barrel gun and it was as deadly as any other. used to hunt with a guy who used a 19" barrel auto and it was as deadly as any gun.

Good point on the 5 rounds. Made me look at the 20ga Standard and Featherlight. In the Standard for just an additional .3 pounds I'd get 2 more rounds in the magazine. It would be a 26" vs 24" but that's ok.

I haven't decided yet but I'm sure my wife will be so happy if I add another shotgun to the safes!
Don’t tell her…

She wouldn’t really care. Heck if she actually thought I wanted one she’d probably buy it for me.

At my age though I should really be selling not buying. I really only use 3 of the herd I have. Some I haven’t shot in a decade.

At my age though I should really be selling not buying. I really only use 3 of the herd I have. Some I haven’t shot in a decade.
At 75 I've started to thin out the gun cabinet. I've sold some and given my grandson a couple. Think I only have one or two left that I haven't used in years.

I got a sbe with 28 barrel, f'n slays birds, phez, goose, anything. Course Im a pretty good shot. Sometimes i shoot 3.5" 2s for roodies, you should try that. Black Cloud FS kill hard.

By the numbers I see across the board for my position at work show most shotguns for field use sold are 28 inch barrels models, with the 26 inch coming in about 30% less. That being the case I like a 26 inch barrel on my inertia auto's for the fact they have long receivers and I like to run aftermarket extended chokes. If I do this on a 28 in gun it becomes a 30 inch gun basically and swings different. I do like 28in barrels on my O/U and SxS guns as their overall length is much shorter than the inertia autos.

I've always reckoned that the 28-30 inch barrels provide a stability to my swing in pass shooting. Originally used to make sure the powder charge was fully realized, now they serve (for me) as the equivalent of a gyroscope for a submarine', they stabilize and enhance my long follow shooting.
Mostly, though, I shoot the 26 inch sxs AYA 20ga.

YMMV

Be safe.

Back