Pheasant season isn’t looking too good for me now.

Kevin W

Dang, pheasant season isn’t looking too good for me know. What started out as a foot issue a couple months ago has slowly transgressed into a major leg issue. I’ve been off work for almost a week now and on crutches most of the time.
My doctor initially thought it was a knee issue and after a couple visits including a follow up visit today it looks like a tendon issue in my lower leg.
Never before have I had an injury or condition so disabling. I can’t imagine how I could even try to walk a field or ditch right now. I suppose I can go with my son and brother when they have a chance to go so they can work Kepa and I can chauffeur them around and be a pick up vehicle on the other side of a field.
But dang, this season is going to be rough one for me.

Dang Kevin, sound like if you don't recovery quickly, you can play the role of the "old dude", blocking when you can and droppin off & pickin up fellas. I might get to do a little of that this season too, my new dog will be less than 5 months old on the opener, I am thinking he and I will hunt after our normal hunts end, on days I don't bring home a limit...hit smaller parcels with shorter cover and try to get a pile of bird contact with him. Those roosters will really be moving sometimes...lay it out in-front a ways! Hope the recovery goes well (and quickly).

Boy, what a time for something like that. I imagine as much as you care for Kepa, seeing her sit out probably hurts nearly as bad.

A person has to take care of themselves, there will be plenty more hunting. Be sure you follow doctor’s orders and don’t make the situation worse.

Here’s hoping for a swift recovery.

My Grandfather was unable to pheasant hunt during his last few years as he was battling cancer and undertaking chemo. He was always so low on energy and his knees hurt. So we posted him when he wanted to go with sometimes. He didn't really care for it, but it was better than sitting at home. His dog would not hunt without him so she just sat next to him while he posted.

He could still deer hunt and fish right up until he died because that did not require much movement.

There's more to life than pheasant hunting. Take care.

My condolences, I've got a similar issue, but still hope things will improve enough to go out a bit.

Amazing how big a thing can be when you can't do it, isn't it?

Hang in there.

Hope your docs figure it out, that it's not serious, and that they get you fixed up.

Well, my season is also now looking like it might be a shadow of what I was wanting. The 1st day of early muzzleloader season, Saturday morning, I was in the tower with Dad, we see a little forky buck right away and a couple minutes later a smaller 10 pt rolled in. Once the 10 crossed into our property, Dad put him down. I could see it drop. Fast forward, I grabed the buck and drug it about 10 yard out of the tree belt to field dress it and that little bit of twisting pressure seems to have herniated a disk in my lower back. I have had 3 of the micro-discectomies and a fussion. My normal back Doc in Dakota Dunes is way backed-up currently, so I taking a steroid pak, a muscle relaxer and gabbapenton. Oddly enough, I am getting a little relief with that cocktail, but much more than a minute on my feet and I need to get back on the couch. Was looking farward to seeing my buddy's boy going out on the youth weekend, that won't be happening and maybe much of the season, but maybe things will change and I will make it out there. Kind of feeling your pain Kevin.

Dang!!!! Kismet is dinged up too and now Remy as well? I hope both of you guys get to feeling better and healed up ASAP. I am thankfully back to work this week and starting to feel much better than I was feeling last week.

Not so much dinged up as paying the price of a old bachelor's diet for 40+ years. I was always fatigued last season and ended up the 6 or 7 trips out 1/3 to 1/2 of the usual forays. Legs were drained of strength; lots of lassitude through out the day. I'm old, so I figured it was age-related dissipation. Talked with my Dr. but he seemed indifferent to the facts.
This year the weakness got to the point where it felt like I had bags of water instead of muscles in my thighs and calves. Finally changed Drs. about 7 weeks ago, had the usual exam run-through and the next day got a call from the Dr. who informed me that my blood sugar level was at 739, which he described as "coma territory." He combined that with the rest and diagnosed Diabetes 2, suggesting it had been long coming.

Medicine was prescribed, diet completely changed (old diet was big on packaged food and bread-stuffs, rice and potatoes--all carbohyrates,) which turns into sugar. I don't consume much sweets, but the crappy diet was doing me in.

Last week's blood test showed blood sugar at 133--down 600 from 3.5 weeks before. A very good thing.

But, as it happens, the blood sugar level increases the pressure on your eyes and distorts the lens of the eyes, so my eyesight was being severely affected. My reading glasses were useless, and my long-distance glasses work to about 30 yards and then things get foggy or blurry. I waited to be the blood sugar level down and now have an optometrist's appointment next week. I have only driven 4 times in the last 5 weeks, to get grocieries, adn the drive is timed on a three mile trip into town for groceries. for lowest traffic (out in the rural countryside).

So, I'm working slowly on bringing muscle back to my body, and hope for lenses to see, although it is supposed to take 3 months for eyes to settle down into former, near-former, shape. I expect future trips for other prescriptions.

I'm getting there and hope to take Tinker out when the eyesight returns. Right now, I read a book through the long-distance glasses, a magnifying glass lamp with LED lights around it, and a second magnifying lens held between the first and the book.

I only have had two dreams that were near-erotic, but dealing with pasta Alfredo and fresh-baked bread. I miss starches.

I got lucky.

You guys be safe out there.

You're on the road to recovery and will soon be afield, I'm sure, by sticking to the healthy diet. Wise move consulting another doc.

Well, my season is also now looking like it might be a shadow of what I was wanting. The 1st day of early muzzleloader season, Saturday morning, I was in the tower with Dad, we see a little forky buck right away and a couple minutes later a smaller 10 pt rolled in. Once the 10 crossed into our property, Dad put him down. I could see it drop. Fast forward, I grabed the buck and drug it about 10 yard out of the tree belt to field dress it and that little bit of twisting pressure seems to have herniated a disk in my lower back. I have had 3 of the micro-discectomies and a fussion. My normal back Doc in Dakota Dunes is way backed-up currently, so I taking a steroid pak, a muscle relaxer and gabbapenton. Oddly enough, I am getting a little relief with that cocktail, but much more than a minute on my feet and I need to get back on the couch. Was looking farward to seeing my buddy's boy going out on the youth weekend, that won't be happening and maybe much of the season, but maybe things will change and I will make it out there. Kind of feeling your pain Kevin.

Hope you find a path to recovery and are effective and comfortable afield in the near future.

The saga continues,,,

just got back from the optometrist's and no glasses. Dr. said the diabetes 2 had accelerated the growth of tiny cataracts and I now need surgery in both eyes..

This is not fun.

Be careful out there.

The saga continues,,,

just got back from the optometrist's and no glasses. Dr. said the diabetes 2 had accelerated the growth of tiny cataracts and I now need surgery in both eyes..

This is not fun.

Be careful out there.

You'll be seeing clearly in short order. Keep taking better care of yourself!

Dang, I hope they can get you scheduled for surgery swiftly and everything goes smoothly!!!

Not to be, apparently. The earliest initial appointment at U.W. Hospital for evaluation is December 15th.

You guys have great seasons.

Be careful out there.

Know what your going through in March I had a infection the went to my knee replacement ended with sepsis they had to go back in and take some parts out and replace them. Had to have eight weeks of daily antibiotics in a pick line and I'll be on antibiotics for the rest of my life now. Was worried about hunting the surgery went well but the knee is not as good as the first surgery. I have trouble walking thru the heavy brush so I tend to look for the easy routes but at least I get out. I usually take the older dog since she's slowing down also. Good luck with the surgery and rehab and blocking isn't so bad that's what I did mostly out in South Dakota this year.

Back