Dogs face

springerfan

Anyone have any tips on protecting dogs face during hunting? My springers face(nose, eyes) get beat up from 3 or 4 day of hunting. Anyone rub vasoline or something else on?

Young Bert, one of my most memorable wirehairs became mine when he was about 2.5 years old. He was so enthusiastic to be out, running free and hunting, that the first two years by the second day of season, he'd have two half-moons of raw skin under his eyes until he finally learned to go around some of the heavy brush. It seemed to not bother him at all, but made me feel responsible. I actually consered putting on a Lone Ranger sort of mask, but dismissed it asa really dumb idea.. :)

I put some bag balm on the spots--bag balm was developed for dairy farmers to take care of chaffing and teat scratches on milking cows.

Best wishes.

I've found in over 50 years of hunting dogs that the issue usually only occurs during dry conditions. I have a Springer back in the 70's and early 80's when it was dry that would really get cut up around the mouth, nose and eyes when hunting in sharp reeds. She'd come out looking like a bloody mess. Can't remember if I did anything about it or not. You could try some Vasoline but it will probably wear off quite fast. Probably best to apply something after the hunt.

Kismet already mentioned this but I'll give my 2 cents.

When I used to hunt SW NoDak my Shorthairs face used to get so beat up it looked like they were dragged face first down a gravel road. The dry climate combined with the new CRP just butchered their face. What I used that is heavier and better than vasoline IMO is Bag balm. At the end of the day and first thing the next day I would rub it on the raw parts. Be careful not to get it in their eyes though.

Should be able to find it at most drug stores. Works good on our skin too for dry chapped skin.

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips on protecting dogs face during hunting? My springers face(nose, eyes) get beat up from 3 or 4 day of hunting. Anyone rub vasoline or something else on?
I broke down and got rex specs for my Springer last year and I'll never go back. They look goofy on her, but I'm all about function as we get older and those goggles provide one less thing to worry about. Doesn't help the raw nose (Bag Balm does), but I don't have to worry about her eyes anymore.

Back