Another vest question

mt1784

Hello, looking these 3 packs as they are more in my price range. Anyone use or have recommendations on these 3 vest.
LL Bean tactical, Orvis pro series, or the alps upland game vest?.
Thanks

I have the LL Bean and it is a good, comfortable vest with adequate pockets. The only complaint I have about it is the water bottle pockets are too big/loose. Unless I pay attention, when I bend over the water bottles fall out. I run two labs so water is important. I've learned to be careful. The vest does accommodate a water bladder, but I've never installed one. I just purchased an Orvis Pro vest for a good friend. Hopefully it works for him. It is a good looking vest and well built. Both of these have thinner shoulder straps cut to keep them away from the "pocket" the butt of your gunstock fits into on your shoulder when shooting. A number of vests have thick, straight cut straps that may be more comfortable, but they push the gun butt out of the pocket, which at least for me, results in frustrating misses.

Thanks does your LL bean have zippers on the water bottler holders? The online pictures look like it might?

One thing I always look for in a vest like the ones above is how easy is it to put a pheasant in the game bag. That is one of the main things that I like about my WingWorks vest., very easy to load a bird.

Ever look at the Q5 Rimfire vest. I have the San Carlos, which is good for short WMA trips. Prices have gone up in the last two years, though.

Thanks does your LL bean have zippers on the water bottler holders? The online pictures look like it might?
Mine does not. They have changed the design a bit. I'm still not sure the water bottle holders are that secure unless you can find bottles that fit with the pocket zipped closed. I just looked at their website and it reminded me that I removed the little pockets that the model has one of on his right shoulder. They were in the way and not much use. Made me laugh, though as the model must be a left-hand shooter.

Mine does not. They have changed the design a bit. I'm still not sure the water bottle holders are that secure unless you can find bottles that fit with the pocket zipped closed. I just looked at their website and it reminded me that I removed the little pockets that the model has one of on his right shoulder. They were in the way and not much use. Made me laugh, though as the model must be a left-hand shooter.
Yes that pocket is strange. I would be shocked if that guy had every shot a gun. The more I look at it the less I like the water bottle pocket design.

The prices aren't much different than when I ordered mine from Dan.

OP a friend if mine got the Orvis and is pleased with it so far.
Comparing against prices I paid 5-7 years ago for a San Carlos, doubling in price is a bit much.

My brother bought an Orvis Pro-Lt strap vest yesterday. For the price, it looks like a good unit. I may take a second look at one after I get his review.

With Cabela's turned into a mirror image of BPS, Scheels and Orvis look to be places to look for well made, solid hunting equipment...at a higher price point, of course...but...

I have the Orvis Pro and the new(er) Pro LT vests. I like them both a lot. You give up the magnetic pocket closure and internal shell loops with the LT, but the shoulder straps are a bit thinner and overall the vest is lighter. For my normal walks, either would do fine, but if I was expecting to take a lot of water, food, jkt, etc. or be away from the truck all day, the Pro vest can handle a bit more weight because the hip belt is more substantial. With respect to comfort…I find both extremely comfortable and relieve a bunch of the weight on your shoulders from a less “techy” strap vest. I used a Filson pro guide vest for 15 years…it’s nostalgic, but it doesn’t compare for comfort to either of these.

Thanks for the reply's. I think I will go with the Orvis, for the money it seems like a good vest. I like that it can hold some weight as I tend to be an over packer and have lots of water, snacks and gear, when ever I leave the truck.

Congratulations on your first rooster.
Don't get too worked up over this vest, just get one.
We all have different hunting styles, so there's no perfect vest. You will go through several vest, if you continue to hunt.
I like that picture! Your dog knows what's important!

Congrats on the rooster and welcome to a lifetime addiction. Although my first one be killed was many years ago I remember it as if it was yesterday. Agree on the vest. You will likely buy others over time if nothing else just to try them.

A lot of people buy too much vest. They think they need to carry all sorts of water, first aid kits, etc. I would concede that people that are away from their vehicles for 3-4 hours--high plains and sw deserts--probably need to carry more. But, for those away from their vehicles--midwest pheasant and grouse hunters--for maybe a 1-1 1/2 hours, less is better. Especially trying to navigate the grouse woods...those larger vests can hangup on a lot of brush.

I don’t have a strap vest, just a traditional with water bottle pockets. I have terrible flexibility, and need something easy to front load. The water bottle pockets are hard enough to get to.

You might want to check out a vest from “final rise” while you’re looking…seems like it’s fits between two Orvis options mentioned above.

Back