favorite hunting shirt

Bob Peters

I've been jonesin' for pheasant hunting season to start again. I was daydreaming about it at work today and was thinking about new equipment to buy and now I'm curious what people recommend for a hunting shirt. I have a nice blaze hoodie that I wear often, but didn't know if there's a nice flannel, chamois, or some other material shirt that is comfy, stands up to pheasant cover well, etc.

I usually wear First Lite Merino wool long sleeves. They don't come in orange but my vest and hat is enough for orange. Seems to hold up to pheasant cover well.

I dont know if I have a favorite shirt but its the older everything gets the better it feels.
I agree 100%! That's why I want to get a good one and break it in :) When I first started a few years ago everything I had was too new. Thankfully now I've got a hoodie that's broken in and a little faded, brush pants going thin at the seams, and a vest with some seeds and stems and dried blood on it from last year. The old hunting clothes are the good hunting clothes.

I always wear shirt jacs even in extreme cold, then i just add a sweatshirt below.
I have a Duluth right now. I pair it with a Filson strap vest.

I like the Gamehide shirts (sold by PF) and Carhartt chambray shirts

Last edited:
I like my blaze orange Carhartt sweat shirt that is so faded that it looks like I still have my vest on.

During early season when it's warm to hot I have to say I've grown to favor Banded's super lightweight vented early season shirt. A bit pricey but man, are they comfy when putting on the miles in warm weather! I believe Beretta makes a similar shirt and I imagine others do too. I have almost the identical shirt from Cabelas in camo for early season waterfowl hunting.

As it cools I switch to heavier shirts like Carhartt's, then layer as needed with pullovers or jackets for comfort.

Warm weather, a long-sleeve t-shirt.
Mild weather, a short-sleeve t-shirt w/ a light fleece pullover.
Cool weather, a short-sleeve t-shirt w/ a medium fleece pullover.
Cold weather, a long-sleeve t-shirt w/ a medium fleece pullover.
Really cold weather, a short-sleeve t-shirt, a long-sleeve t-shirt, a medium fleece pullover, & my old GoreTex jacket if it's windy.

I have an old Codet polyester blaze orange shirt. Bought it for deer hunting, but it gets used every year for bird hunting. It's time for another but I can't seem to locate one on the internet.

Last edited:
I've been jonesin' for pheasant hunting season to start again. I was daydreaming about it at work today and was thinking about new equipment to buy and now I'm curious what people recommend for a hunting shirt. I have a nice blaze hoodie that I wear often, but didn't know if there's a nice flannel, chamois, or some other material shirt that is comfy, stands up to pheasant cover well, etc.
I tried a few “hunting shirts” others mentioned and couldn’t get used to the button down type shorts but wear the heck out of one old sweater over a comfy t shirt and seems less restrictive mounting my gun. Agree with what someone said about the old clothes being the best. All the good memories, blood stains, left over feathers from previous years, good stuff for sure!

The best all round shirt for hunting (upland, big game, etc.) that I've found isn't made any more. But it's a Worsterlon shirt from Cabelas. I've had 6 of them over the past 30+ years. They are 100% polyester but yet warm like wool and the dry very fast. They wash up great and are ready to wear without a wrinkle right out of the dryer. I've only read glowing reviews about these shirts over the years and have no idea why the manufacturer ceased production. I just did a Google for Worsterlon shirts and it turned up nothing. I think Gander use to have some also. I still have 4 of them hanging in the closet. They are a great looking shirt that you can wear in the field or casual dress.

Back