Tough year in Nebraska

airmedic1

I hunt mostly in the western portion of the state and have really struggled this year. Early on, I imposed a one rooster per day limit on myself, which, with days like this is not hard to do. I saw three roosters today after hunting multiple patches and walking over 7 miles. My GSP’s logged over 16 miles. I would have needed a cannon to shoot any of the three I saw today. Got up at least 100 yards or more. Most of the roosters I have shot this year are last years birds.

I was very optimistic about the season when I heard the reports of Sw Nebraska being up 27 percent over last year , I was going to make a trip up your way but with the feild reports makes sense to hope for a better hatch next year .

Thanks for the post and hopes you will find a pocket or two of huntable populations .

I was very optimistic about the season when I heard the reports of Sw Nebraska being up 27 percent over last year , I was going to make a trip up your way but with the feild reports makes sense to hope for a better hatch next year .

Thanks for the post and hopes you will find a pocket or two of huntable populations .

if you were here last year you would know how small that 27% was accounted for, not much!

New to the group, Same story here, few birds early but then they spooky. Late season after we received snow was much better.

NE DNR have some great marketing tools, but it truly is mostly smoke and mirrors.
last good hunting upland was over 10 years ago, maybe 20. save your money.

How was hunting in the NE part of the state, have to assume that was good....but maybe not where the public hunting areas are?

NE DNR have some great marketing tools, but it truly is mostly smoke and mirrors.
last good hunting upland was over 10 years ago, maybe 20. save your money.
I see what you're trying to do. You just want us all to stay home so you have the birds to yourself! 🤣

I've been to Nebraska twice now, one trip was phenomenal, this year's was tough.

This picture is the results of one public land spot 2 of us hunted from 9 until noon a couple years ago. This year had no days worth sharing haha

Attachments

• 1516933215831.jpeg
    1516933215831.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 23
I see what you're trying to do. You just want us all to stay home so you have the birds to yourself! 🤣

I've been to Nebraska twice now, one trip was phenomenal, this year's was tough.

This picture is the results of one public land spot 2 of us hunted from 9 until noon a couple years ago. This year had no days worth sharing haha
i grew up in NE. and it is nothing at all as it once was. the habitat is virtually gone now, only the SW has some huntable cover in the state program. i do all my hunting in Iowa and SD.

We are considering an upland hunt in early Jan of '22. Thinking of hunting both north central KS and south central NE. We hunted all around Lucas KS last Jan., we did find birds but very spotty. Hopefully # will be up next yr. Any thoughts ?

My thoughts are numbers will not be up. Year over year the habitat loss to poorly regulated industrial agriculture overruns any conservation work done by the KDWP and there are not enough “good” weather years for birds to mount a come back in the limited habitat available to counteract the bad weather years, which are frequent and increasingly so. Barring some sort of miraculous 180 in our ecologic, economic and agricultural practices, the writing is on the wall. It’s only going to get worse.

My thoughts are numbers will not be up. Year over year the habitat loss to poorly regulated industrial agriculture overruns any conservation work done by the KDWP and there are not enough “good” weather years for birds to mount a come back in the limited habitat available to counteract the bad weather years, which are frequent and increasingly so. Barring some sort of miraculous 180 in our ecologic, economic and agricultural practices, the writing is on the wall. It’s only going to get worse.
while i am not quite that negative, i don't foresee any major increase in quality habitat or birds.
we have been in this rut for quite awhile now, nothing on the horizon to think things will change in a big way.

It is super dry in Western Nebraska right now, we need some rain and not just an inch or two. There are red-flag warnings almost everyday. Most of the subsoil moisture was used last year, so crops will suffer if not under irrigation. I’ve seen a few roosters off gravel roads but I still think it’s going to be a tough year for the 2021-2022 season. I just found out that several of the CRP fields that I hunt have been taken out as well.

Three years ago we had several good pheasant hunts. Two years ago it was way down. Last year was terrible and we only made the one trip opening weekend. The CRP we normally hunt was either GONE or hayed, it was bone dry. Not expecting much in the way of bird improvement this year with CRP getting less and less each year. Only saw a couple hens last year which does not give me the warm and fuzzy feeling either.

Back