Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

I have seen 3 reports all from this 21 page thread. We all good here? Does anyone need anything here, or should I just move on and go drink a beer. 🍻

What kind of beer? If I ran a forum, I'd view 21 pages (so far) and over16k views as an absolute success story. Move over Zuck, here we come.

Not sure what a report is - euphemism for complaint? If so, I'm surprised that there are that few. My observation would be- if there isn't a bit of heated debate and energetic commentary, why bother with a public forum? Just go on over to FaceBook so the mean girls don't hurt your feelings with any viewpoint not sanctioned by Ones Who Know. I've probably absorbed as many, or more, electronic slings and arrows than most - and I simply view them as evidence that, at least, someone is interested enough in the topic to engage.

I do think "reports" and their sources should be shared with all, or at the very least with those who are being ratted out to the Teacher. I suspect that the reports may well be more offensive than the alleged offense.

Last edited:
I have seen 3 reports all from this 21 page thread. We all good here? Does anyone need anything here, or should I just move on and go drink a beer. 🍻

It's stayed civil - Didnt know the board was full of Karen's -- or what is the male version of this :D -- I'd say you're fine to go have a 6 pack.

1 . It is part of the lease i am involved in, that is why i bring it up
2. I move more deer in CRP or thickets than corn when bird hunting, i have had deer running out of tickets flush many a covey of quail.
Just wondering, is all. When you say "involved in" - does that mean you are a lessee, or a lessor. Or maybe just kind of thinking about one or the other?

Here are two standard hunting lease formats, courtesy KS State University. Microsoft Word - example leases.doc (k-state.edu)

Not saying the lease you have, or may be thinking of having, doesn't restrict farming practices - but most do not. Rather, they tend to restrict the folks who are leasing for hunting purposes from tilling the soil or altering the landscape. Vice the other way around.

This isn't to say that hunters or outfitters couldn't craft a lease agreement restricting farming practices. Just that it does not appear to be the norm. FWIW. And to bludgeon a dead horse - we all know that monocultures don't benefit wildlife, but I think you'd find more deer with a corn monoculture than a hedgerow without reasonable proximity to food sources.

Does any creature actually eat hedge (Osage orange) balls, and live to procreate?

Just wondering, is all. When you say "involved in" - does that mean you are a lessee, or a lessor. Or maybe just kind of thinking about one or the other?

Here are two standard hunting lease formats, courtesy KS State University. Microsoft Word - example leases.doc (k-state.edu)

Not saying the lease you have, or may be thinking of having, doesn't restrict farming practices - but most do not. Rather, they tend to restrict the folks who are leasing for hunting purposes from tilling the soil or altering the landscape. Vice the other way around.

This isn't to say that hunters or outfitters couldn't craft a lease agreement restricting farming practices. Just that it does not appear to be the norm. FWIW. And to bludgeon a dead horse - we all know that monocultures don't benefit wildlife, but I think you'd find more deer with a corn monoculture than a hedgerow without reasonable proximity to food sources.

Does any creature actually eat hedge (Osage orange) balls, and live to procreate?
It is not restricting the landowner of anything, its just a way out of the lease if the habitat that drew you to the lease is removed for whatever reason.

If you signed a five year lease and the second year into the lease the landowner decided to tear out most of the habitat and put it into production for whatever reason, which is the landowners right. Wouldn't you want a way out of a legal agreement in which you are not receiving what you signed up for?

It is not restricting the landowner of anything, its just a way out of the lease if the habitat that drew you to the lease is removed for whatever reason.

If you signed a five year lease and the second year into the lease the landowner decided to tear out most of the habitat and put it into production for whatever reason, which is the landowners right. Wouldn't you want a way out of a legal agreement in which you are not receiving what you signed up for?
I thought the question was, is this an actual lease that you have subscribed to, or are offering on property you own? Also, whether this is, more or less, a standard clause (but I think we answered that one).

But in evading the question, you do raise another one that interests me, at least. Is a five year lease "normal"? Game populations (especially deer with big heads) come and go, so I would have assumed (dangerous, I know) that most leases were annual. Any actual lessors or lessees here know the answer to that one? I've never been part of a deal on either end of that.

I thought the question was, is this an actual lease that you have subscribed to, or are offering on property you own? Also, whether this is, more or less, a standard clause (but I think we answered that one).

But in evading the question, you do raise another one that interests me, at least. Is a five year lease "normal"? Game populations (especially deer with big heads) come and go, so I would have assumed (dangerous, I know) that most leases were annual. Any actual lessors or lessees here know the answer to that one? I've never been part of a deal on either end of that.
Yes i am involved in said lease

Where i am coming from is i hear a lot of people complaining but very few willing to put more in the game than a 20 or 40 dollar license .

Not my place to judge, but while acknowledging that it would be difficult (maybe impossible) to turn back the hands of time - I do hate to see the movement toward game (OK, OK - "access") being sold to the highest bidder. The European model. As a practical matter, once only the best heeled among us can afford to participate - the few - then the interest in preserving the hunt in any form will erode to the point where one will no longer be allowed to hunt, even if you were the highest/last bidder. We need to look no further than our Mother Ship (England) to see how that plays out, and faster than one might think.

Not my place to judge, but while acknowledging that it would be difficult (maybe impossible) to turn back the hands of time - I do hate to see the movement toward game (OK, OK - "access") being sold to the highest bidder. The European model. As a practical matter, once only the best heeled among us can afford to participate - the few - then the interest in preserving the hunt in any form will erode to the point where one will no longer be allowed to hunt, even if you were the highest/last bidder. We need to look no further than our Mother Ship (England) to see how that plays out, and faster than one might think.
I agree with what you are saying about this becoming a wealthy mans sport and i also do not wish for that, I just believe that there is a middle road where it is beneficial to everyone. Maybe with more conversations like this one we may come up with the right idea one day.

I agree with what you are saying about this becoming a wealthy mans sport and i also do not wish for that, I just believe that there is a middle road where it is beneficial to everyone. Maybe with more conversations like this one we may come up with the right idea one day.
Amen!

What kind of beer? If I ran a forum, I'd view 21 pages (so far) and over16k views as an absolute success story. Move over Zuck, here we come.
Busch Latte. I'm kind of a sucker for it. Not sure why.

I agree with you on your 21 page discussion. I say success and I like your positivity. I will go the fridge and grab a Latte and bid you guys cheers. 🍻
Not sure what a report is - euphemism for complaint? If so, I'm surprised that there are that few. My observation would be- if there isn't a bit of heated debate and energetic commentary, why bother with a public forum? Just go on over to FaceBook so the mean girls don't hurt your feelings with any viewpoint not sanctioned by Ones Who Know. I've probably absorbed as many, or more, electronic slings and arrows than most - and I simply view them as evidence that, at least, someone is interested enough in the topic to engage.

I do think "reports" and their sources should be shared with all, or at the very least with those who are being ratted out to the Teacher. I suspect that the reports may well be more offensive than the alleged offense.
All good with the Reports. I think sometimes it's tough to follow 21 pages, so some context can go page to page. So, as the teacher, I'll say hall passes for everyone. :LOL:
It's stayed civil - Didnt know the board was full of Karen's -- or what is the male version of this :D -- I'd say you're fine to go have a 6 pack.
Male Version of Karen = Kyle

And thank you KsHusker, don't mind if I do. 🍻
Chestle 🤣 🤣

I know Busch (Bavarian) but I'll have to check out that Latte stuff - coffee beer? Caffeine plus alcohol, sounds like the chemical version of riding the clutch. But I see you posted at 12.07 AM - so this is probably a good fit. Do you drink that hot, cold, or room temperature?

Having sampled beers from around the world - German (or Bavarian) beers take the prize but I am a simple man, as no doubt is obvious to you.
PBR day to day - hey, the recipe came over from Germany, I believe. Close enough. Not a total redneck, your impressions aside. I prefer bottles, not cans.

I do want to thank you, especially, as well as all who endured me here for indulging my first (and likely only) foray into social activism. Didn't get a damned thing done - but did "meet" some good, knowledgeable and interesting people - sometimes even all in the same package of skin. And I learned much more than you probably think I did. And as one result, I am actively exploring placing my little piece of Kansas heaven in WIHA, to allow more urbanite and suburbanite Kansans an opportunity for a high quality, no lease or guide hunt. For real.

Back