Wish I knew it then

....as to the slots?... one plays their hunches...as to the pheasants?... one plays their hunches.
Agree on everything above, plus....
If one dog/one gun... don't spend time in big open lots, sure there's birds but wind rows, sloughs, are more "interesting"

2 recommendations
1. Use high quality ammunition, it is typically only a few bucks more per box but can make a big difference. When considering the total cost of the hunting trip it is one of the least expensive items. If you can, I would suggest testing different brands and shots with your gun and chokes. I have 3 different types of shells that I am comfortable with shooting.
2. I always take two guns with different chokes, one improved cylinder and the other with a modified choke.

One more suggestion ... I picked up the Garmin Pro 550 plus last year and I wish I would have bought it sooner. Whether I’m hunting in thick cattails, high Crp, or next to corn, I always know where my dog is and it has allowed me to hunt much quieter. No longer losing my dog when he goes on point in thick cover. My brother and cousin upgraded to it this year as well. We wouldn’t hunt without it now.

Don't take a brand new gun you've' never shot before in a gauge you've' never shot before. Ask me how I know.

Stop every once in awhile and just look around, its crazy beautiful. Bring muck/rubber boots if you have them, I always have them in my truck just in case.

Don't yell out "Rooster! Rooster!" or "Hen!"

Don't yell at or voice call your dog.
Why no calling out dukx? I always call em out when I'm with a group. Alone I don't (obviously). But I'm the young guy (30) in a group of older guys (50s and 60s) so I try and let em know because they find themselves standing around or not with me as much haha

When you yell out each bird you scare many more away! Pheasants hear 10 times better than us. If you ever block for guys that talk you will see birds hundreds of yards ahead of them running out of the cover.

When you yell out each bird you scare many more away! Pheasants hear 10 times better than us. If you ever block for guys that talk you will see birds hundreds of yards ahead of them running out of the cover.
For me it just depends I guess. I've had birds get up right in the sun and if it wasn't for others in my group calling it out I'd either have shot a hen or passed on a rooster.

I mean if they get up in front of everyone, I don't bother. Use your eyes haha

Why no calling out dukx? I always call em out when I'm with a group. Alone I don't (obviously). But I'm the young guy (30) in a group of older guys (50s and 60s) so I try and let em know because they find themselves standing around or not with me as much haha
You'd see more birds if you shut up. Do what you like.

I hunt alone more now because other guys can't keep quiet or not yell at their dogs.

...99% of the time I'm on my own... not so much by choice as by lack of like minded individuals... my brother talks to his 2 non-stop and so if we hunt together, I suffer...if I found 2or3 guys I liked, I'd put up with some (small) chatter
Here, we don't need to call out rooster

One more suggestion ... I picked up the Garmin Pro 550 plus last year and I wish I would have bought it sooner. Whether I’m hunting in thick cattails, high Crp, or next to corn, I always know where my dog is and it has allowed me to hunt much quieter. No longer losing my dog when he goes on point in thick cover. My brother and cousin upgraded to it this year as well. We wouldn’t hunt without it now.
Holy crap.... I get by fine with my $74.95 Tractor supply collar.... don't have$500 but not sure I'd drop it if I did

Holy crap.... I get by fine with my $74.95 Tractor supply collar.... don't have$500 but not sure I'd drop it if I did
Yes the $75 from TSC likely does everything you need from a dog correction standpoint. For me having the piece of mind that if that one off crazy instance happens I will be able to look and see where my dog is makes spending the money a no brainer. To each their own though.

I hunt alone more now because other guys can't keep quiet or not yell at their dogs.
Oh I rarely talk to my group or my dog when I'm hunting. My dog I speak to either via my whistle or hand signals. About the only time I speak is when a bird gets up and heading there way to give them a heads up. I'm usually in the thick shit with my dog busting cover and the old guys in my group are on the edge. So when a bird gets up out of the cattails, I let em know.

They're like minded of being quiet throughout the hunt. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I only call em out when they're getting up in the sun or something and I can identify it. If it's out in the open everyone's on their own.

My friend shot a hen yesterday, and the day before. His eyes are not good. He yells at his dog a lot, but hes a great guy, and I never scold him.

My friend shot a hen yesterday, and the day before. His eyes are not good. He yells at his dog a lot, but hes a great guy, and I never scold him.
two in two days? it's OK to scold him...great guy or not. i have shot a hen before, not saying it can't happen...peer pressure works...letting a bird fly away is OK, feels pretty good, actually, when not 100% sure.

two in two days? it's OK to scold him...great guy or not. i have shot a hen before, not saying it can't happen...peer pressure works...letting a bird fly away is OK, feels pretty good, actually, when not 100% sure.
I agree, I'm going to have to talk to him gently. He didn't start hunting until he was 35.Hes now 58.He has some vision issues.

Back