SW ND Final Corn Harvest and Winter Report

antelopecreek

Yes, these pictures are from yesterday and not last fall. Final 70 acres of corn will come down today on the 22nd of March. Crazy end to a crazy year.

Lots of thermal cover and food available for the pheasants throughout the winter. We had much better conditions this winter as well when it comes to temps and snow being spaced out over time.

Looking for a great year, the hatch will of course be the big factor.

I had a couple bins go bad this year. One wasn’t terrible but the other was an absolute nightmare. 10 day fight getting it out and blended with good corn. Had to cut a hole in the bin, the whole nine yards. Farm on

I had a couple bins go bad this year. One wasn’t terrible but the other was an absolute nightmare. 10 day fight getting it out and blended with good corn. Had to cut a hole in the bin, the whole nine yards. Farm on

I caught one bin just in time. Had to get the stir augers running and turn the fan on. This ethanol thing gets worse we may have a hard time finding a market for this corn.

I got about 10k bu. left unsold. Hate to take a beating on it but it’s got to come out of the bins in the next week or two. 17% moisture . And for some reason the bank expects me to pay them. Meantime it rains every week here. Looks to be a repeat of last years planting season...late. Dooms day scenario, imagine we can’t get crops planted on top of China virus panic.

Are corn and beans so profitable and convenient that other crops historically grown in western ND just no longer worth planting ?

Further east ... there is a township in Stutsman County (middle ND) that once was mostly wheat and barley. Flowers, beans, oats and I guess some corn ... mostly planted for feed made up the balance. A year or two ago 95% of the township that was planted ... was planted in beans.

Never saw a corn field in Griggs county growing up ... now it is all corn and beans.

I feel for you guys, it’s been a tough few years. I’m curious, with “corn being king”, and everyone planting it, I’m sure that is driving down the prices. Will you go back to planting crops other than corn and beans or are those grain markets just as bad? Hope things work out for you all this spring and you can get it in the ground.

Corn is King
Apparently. Over the last 30 years I've watched corn fields march to the west. They don't look like the fields we'd see in South Dakota though. Most of them seem to be half as tall and the ears are much smaller. They're replacing the wheat and barley fields so I assume the farmers are making more money on them than the wheat. Read once that Eureka SD was a major wheat producer, now it is all beans and corn.

Back