Pheasant Scouting Report

sig_mech

Took a run out to eastern Colorado this past Saturday to scout some of my favorite areas and things look good. A lot of CRP was lost due to Farm Bill requirements but with the help of the PF C4C program some of this loss has been offset. There was a ton of corn still standing so hunting the WIA’s probably won’t be at its best until the corn comes down. Please respect the farmers and stay out of their standing corn. I saw some good bird numbers and I am optimistic for a season that will be comparable to last season. I guarantee another opening day circus out there so please be extremely careful when driving those dirt roads and especially when pulling that trigger. I’m going to wait for mid-week to start my season and I’ll let you guys and gals have all the opening day excitement you want.
Shoot straight.

Last edited:
Took a run out to eastern Colorado this past Saturday to scout some of my favorite areas and things look good. A lot of CRP was lost due to Farm Bill requirements but with the help of the PF C4C program some of this loss has been offset. There was a ton of corn still standing so hunting the WIA’s probably won’t be at its best until the corn comes down. Please respect the farmers and stay out of their standing corn. I saw some good bird numbers and I am optimistic for a season that will be comparable to last season. I guarantee another opening day circus out there so please be extremely careful when driving those dirt roads and especially when pulling that trigger. I’m going to wait for mid-week to start my season and I’ll let you guys and gals have all the opening day excitement you want.
Shoot straight.

good advice, smart guy...good luck!

Hi Sig--good advice. I typically avoid CO opening weekend for just the reasons you discuss but it was academic this year as I was in SoDak that weekend anyway. Since then I've got 3 days in NE and 8 in CO, all from US 34 north to the border. You were right about the standing corn early in the season, even worse in western NE. It was a good growing season for cover and I think bird count is about like last year, maybe a little better. The populations are isolated and it takes some fuel and boot leather (or Vibram) to find them-nothing new there. I plan to get in some more weekdays during January. Good hunting.
Tom

Back