Looking For A Started Lab

Labs

Beginning to look for a Started Lab to finish and replace my 14 year old queen of the lineup, Betty. Prefer a Yellow or Fox Red female. must be through basic OB (rock solid OB a must), FF/CC, doing at least 100 yd marks, delivers to hand, and have some pheasant experience. Would consider trading a Franchi Instinct L 12 gauge O/U used 1 season as full or partial payment, depending on dog & level of training. Preferably from Minn, SD, or ND due to driving distance from my home in western ND. PM me...

Beginning to look for a Started Lab to finish and replace my 14 year old queen of the lineup, Betty. Prefer a Yellow or Fox Red female. must be through basic OB (rock solid OB a must), FF/CC, doing at least 100 yd marks, delivers to hand, and have some pheasant experience. Would consider trading a Franchi Instinct L 12 gauge O/U used 1 season as full or partial payment, depending on dog & level of training. Preferably from Minn, SD, or ND due to driving distance from my home in western ND. PM me...

Afraid your not even close on what a dog with that training would/should cost you—shotgun may make a down payment if some one wanted it-but would be needed to be backed with substantial cash—jmo

For that level of training you probably are going to need 5-6 more nice shotguns to make a trade viable.

For that level of training you probably are going to need 5-6 more nice shotguns to make a trade viable.

That is what I told him on his other thread! He seems to think he can get a Senior or Master level dog $3500. If I could get a Senior dog at $3500 I would buy a dozen of them.

He's asking for a started dog. For all you smarasses out there, what's your definition of a strted dog?

He's asking for a started dog. For all you smarasses out there, what's your definition of a strted dog?

Not for sure what a "smarasses" or "strted dog" would be but a started dog would be a dog that has been force fetched, collar conditioned, and through basic obedience. Along with bird exposure, swimming through decoys, and having a few live fliers shot for it. Depending on the dog and pedigree anywhere from $3500 to $5500. Most well bred puppies are going to be in the $1500 range, then 3 or 4 months training at a minimum of $600 per month, plus birds, feed, vet bills, etc. It adds up quickly.

Smartass

Not for sure what a "smarasses" or "strted dog" would be but a started dog would be a dog that has been force fetched, collar conditioned, and through basic obedience. Along with bird exposure, swimming through decoys, and having a few live fliers shot for it. Depending on the dog and pedigree anywhere from $3500 to $5500. Most well bred puppies are going to be in the $1500 range, then 3 or 4 months training at a minimum of $600 per month, plus birds, feed, vet bills, etc. It adds up quickly.

Obviously, my typing skills aren’t the greatest but your answer exposes you as a smartass

I didn’t feel my response was being smartassed (not sure that’s a word).
But anyhow, I consider a started Dog to be a Dog at the minimal level to hunt with. Basic obedience, bird/gun intro, FF, CC, steady, running reasonably difficult singles, and maybe some simple doubles (with consistent delivery to hand). Some upland exposure would be nice but unlikely.
A decent bred pup $1000-2000
Early vet costs $500?
4-6 months training at $800 = $3200-$4800
Add in some flyers $200ish.
Real simplified that puts you around 6k. That’s probably a bit on the high side, I think 5k is pretty realistic.
Convince me I’m wrong. I’m sure you can find cheaper started dogs out there but they likely have some issue like lack of drive, vocal, or maybe aggressive. I’ve seen some dogs sell really cheap but the seller found the perfect home to be more important than the profit.
A recent discussion put the average cost of a AKC Master Hunter to be around $35k (pro trained/handled). Few of these dogs would sell for close to that but you get the idea.
Ksaures what do you consider a started Dog, and how would you value said Dog?

Last edited:
Ksauers
I’ll ask again what is your definition of a started Dog and how would you value said Dog?

Last edited:
Obviously, my typing skills aren’t the greatest but your answer exposes you as a smartass

What is your point —it’s Not only your typing skills that need work—why the attack and name calling?
OP asked a question —got Honest opinions from experienced trainers and hunters-Not what he was looking for but still honest —
If you have nothing positive of informative to add why even start your cr&%&?
Why do I also suspect you may be a previously banned poster trying to sneak back on? Had several really ignorant ones banned some time ago—
YOU REMIND ME OF THEM

What is your point —it’s Not only your typing skills that need work—why the attack and name calling?
OP asked a question —got Honest opinions from experienced trainers and hunters-Not what he was looking for but still honest —
If you have nothing positive of informative to add why even start your cr&%&?
Why do I also suspect you may be a previously banned poster trying to sneak back on? Had several really ignorant ones banned some time ago—
YOU REMIND ME OF THEM

I guess you scared him away! Or maybe he moved out of his mom's basement and doesn't have the internet.

Try Mike Thyen at 605 520 0575 (cell). I and my hunting partners have bought several started dogs with great success. He is by Watertown SD

Back