2019 brood report

the delay in the publication of the fall brood survey has me wondering......it can't be good and what is SDGF up to? lots of dollars at stake with the results. a claim for a late hatch to bolster the numbers?

Yeah, I can't help but wonder what is going on. It was released on Aug 27 last year.....it's Sept 4 now, 8 days and counting later than last year. I don't think they would flat-out lie about the numbers, but maybe they're taking the extra time to figure out the best way to frame it.

the delay in the publication of the fall brood survey has me wondering......it can't be good and what is SDGF up to? lots of dollars at stake with the results. a claim for a late hatch to bolster the numbers?

I'm with you on that... Good news is usually quick to be published. I can only suspect GFP will be reviewing it in the Spearfish meeting at the end of this week - might be some wordsmithing to support the numbers they are seeing.

But, I will be going out there either way. A bad report just means I get some better boots - might be more work to get the birds in the bag.

Hard to know why the delay in getting it published? For me personally it doesn’t really
Matter. Going either way and know we will find areas that have good numbers and other areas that are slimmer, same as most years. Would be nice though to know what they saw on their drive around though.

If you have a source close to where you hunt that may be a better indication than the actual report. As I mentioned in a previous post, based on what I saw last weekend and friends/farmers have also confirmed, my area will be up significantly. The hatch was incredible...With that said, it will be interesting to see how the report correlates with what I saw in my area. Certain parts of the state will be down due to the winter, hail storms, timing of rain/colder weather during the hatch and of course habitat. It is always fun to read the report and the optimism on this site. The season is fast approaching, can’t wait!

Iowa report is in, overall state down 17%from 2018. Excessive winter snow and wet cool spring sited. SD normal follows Iowa.

To Dakota Zeb...I meant to reply to one of your posts, in order to identify who I was directing this to...but I did something wrong...

George--I'm not positive, but I think you may be on the cover of the Project Upland magazine, fall edition...the photographer took the pic on one of my hunts, and I can't for my life figure it out...it has to be you...O/U, dog, hunter...it leans toward being you. One of my dogs ended up the the PF prairie grouse primer as well, thanks to my friend. Let me know if that is you...my .02 says it is!

To Dakota Zeb...I meant to reply to one of your posts, in order to identify who I was directing this to...but I did something wrong...

George--I'm not positive, but I think you may be on the cover of the Project Upland magazine, fall edition...the photographer took the pic on one of my hunts, and I can't for my life figure it out...it has to be you...O/U, dog, hunter...it leans toward being you. One of my dogs ended up the the PF prairie grouse primer as well, thanks to my friend. Let me know if that is you...my .02 says it is!

How do I get or see a copy of the cover?

Back