Cedar Rapids Area?

Jrb_113

Hello,

I am from Ohio and going out to Cedar Rapids to visit my son who recently moved there. We would like to do a little pheasant hunting while I am out that way. Public or private land with a good population of birds would be preferred but it doesn't sound like Iowa has the birds that used to be there.

Are there any pheasant preserves that have large tracts of land and good cover where they just release the birds without dizzying them in the Cedar Rapids area? The pheasant preserves that I have tried in Ohio have small fields 10 acres or so and dizzy the birds. I have a good pointing dog (Brittany) that covers a lot of ground and I would like to make it challenging for him as well. Any comments appreciated. It doesn't have to be a preserve I just don't know where else I might go. I plan on being out there the week of December 18th. Driving an hour or so from Cedar Rapids would be OK.

Thanks.

+1 on Highland. About 45 min drive from CR, have been out a couple times walking along and for an event. Birds I saw were released and not dizzied. Cover was very good compared to another place I have been and birds seemed strong (no birds getting caught by dogs/getting caught in heavy cover attempting to fly and such). Staff was friendly, lunch was good and I got full, the website is pretty nice also. Haven't been to P n M, sorry. Hope you enjoy your time.

Highland would be my choice as well. You will be close to lots of public ground too.
Second shotgun deer season ends on Dec 17 so you could find some wild birds and not see the orange army marching through.
Hope you get some shots!

Thanks for the great information guys. Glad to hear there are some wild birds on public land and about the quality preserve.

I haven’t been to Iowa pheasants n more for several years. Have hunted there a few times and was never impressed.

I've heard only good things from friends and co-workers about Beck ridge preserve, I'm considering going there for my first ever pay to hunt (dad's knees are getting bad). It's north of Clinton Iowa so not too far from cedar rapids.

I've heard only good things from friends and co-workers about Beck ridge preserve, I'm considering going there for my first ever pay to hunt (dad's knees are getting bad). It's north of Clinton Iowa so not too far from cedar rapids.

One of the best on the east side of the state. Tend to go once a month to keep the dogs on the birds. The Beck family is excellent and really take care of their hunting property. Their daughter and son-in-law own a dog kennel and training facility. They trained my dog for upland.

Beckridge is fantastic. Jim and Coralie are always a pleasure to chat with after a hunt! It's about 1:40 from Cedar Rapids so you could visit on your way in or out of the state since you're coming from Ohio.

Public land near Cedar Rapids and Iowa City is hit really hard the first month of the season, but you could try Hawkeye WMA or Pleasant Creek (Palo) if you want to try areas close to you. 2nd shotgun season for deer ends the 17th if that factors into your decision at all.

Good luck!

Back