Planning for spring and summer projects

ford

Trees and shrubs are ordered. 8 rows just short of 1/4 mile. Also planting some nesting cover (23 acres) and I was lucky enough to get enrolled in the PF pollinator/monarch habitat program (15 acres). Will be a busy spring but will be worth it. When Im blasting some ringnecks in this cover in a couple years.

Trees and shrubs are ordered. 8 rows just short of 1/4 mile. Also planting some nesting cover (23 acres) and I was lucky enough to get enrolled in the PF pollinator/monarch habitat program (15 acres). Will be a busy spring but will be worth it. When Im blasting some ringnecks in this cover in a couple years.

Awesome not many planning this early I bet...

Im sure u have it all under control but I'd be way willing to offer some elbow grease to get my old man on a few wild SD pheasants tuff when u can't walk & are all time poster lol...

May all your projects thrive... & produce pheasants

Good job Ford. I just created my spring projects list. Actually it is an annual projects list. LOL. You will love the trees. They really produce the birds and are great for finding roosters all fall. I have a 1/2 mile or so going in. 5 rows and 3 rows. Got some food plot changes and grass projects too. this is the time to get it all planned out. Also planning on adding a dugout as well. Thanks for starting the thread. Was thinking about it.

Anybody know where you can get freedom honeysuckle? my coop says their supplier in MN says they are now considered invasive and are not supplying them anymore. I love them. Says the replacement is a hawk-eye honeysuckle.??

all my trees are cedar, junipers and spruce, shrubs are choke cherry, sumac, wild plum,buffalo berry and a couple more i don't remember. the trees will be in some what of an "s" shape so there will be protection no matter what direction the wind is from. This will be the third tree line on this 240 acres in the last 5 years. After this year i will only have 40 acres left to redo from a pasture that was abused by the previous owner.

Ford, of the 240 how much of that is habitat? Sounds like a good piece of ground for the critters

with in the next 2 years it will all be habitat. trees, nesting grass, winter cover grass, 26 acres of food plots and pollinator/monarch mix (brood rearing cover). I have seen some critters move in but I trap and do alot of predator control.

Ford, that is outstanding, keep the good work. Sounds like you will have a fantastic piece of land benefiting many different critters all year around. Thank you for the work you are doing.

Good job Ford. I just created my spring projects list. Actually it is an annual projects list. LOL. You will love the trees. They really produce the birds and are great for finding roosters all fall. I have a 1/2 mile or so going in. 5 rows and 3 rows. Got some food plot changes and grass projects too. this is the time to get it all planned out. Also planning on adding a dugout as well. Thanks for starting the thread. Was thinking about it.

Anybody know where you can get freedom honeysuckle? my coop says their supplier in MN says they are now considered invasive and are not supplying them anymore. I love them. Says the replacement is a hawk-eye honeysuckle.??

Try nature hills.com its a on line nursery

I am planting 300 plum, service berry, and fragrant sumac bare root seedling. I've also got a 50 lb bag of native grass seed to plant. Put in a 2 acre food plot and plan to do the same this year. Been out the last few days hinge cutting to create living brush piles and clearing trees.

I am planting 300 plum, service berry, and fragrant sumac bare root seedling. I've also got a 50 lb bag of native grass seed to plant. Put in a 2 acre food plot and plan to do the same this year. Been out the last few days hinge cutting to create living brush piles and clearing trees.

Quail heaven

That's the plan. Just reintroducing fire the last few years has helped. I wish I had a recent satellite picture to show the difference. Guy that owned the place before us really just let hedge and honey locust take over with sericea lespedeza taking over what native grass was there. I am trying to kill off fescue and brome then replace with natives. It's a process.

Sorry guys this may be a little off topic but somewhat related.... Ford and others , what are your thoughts on intermediate grass for habitat? I have some planted on my ground, but some is harvested for the cattle. I'm curious to what you guys think of this type of grass for pheasant habitat. I believe it's a cool season grass and better for nesting.... The grass that's left is approximately waist high in the fall but will lay down some when the snow hits. The birds use it but don't seem to hold in it very well (late season). Thanks in advance

Sorry guys this may be a little off topic but somewhat related.... Ford and others , what are your thoughts on intermediate grass for habitat? I have some planted on my ground, but some is harvested for the cattle. I'm curious to what you guys think of this type of grass for pheasant habitat. I believe it's a cool season grass and better for nesting.... The grass that's left is approximately waist high in the fall but will lay down some when the snow hits. The birds use it but don't seem to hold in it very well (late season). Thanks in advance

Oahe intermediate wheatgrass is what we planted in the early CRP days. It is a good cool season grass. As the stand gets older it becomes invaded by Bromegrass.

Back