Exited for opening day 2015

Hello all. lets just say i have nothing to report. My son and I got to the field around 1:00 this afternoon. On the way in we passed a truck with a dog and two guys. Not a good sign. We hunted every field we could find. Cookie gave us a so-so point after about an hour of hunting, when i walked up to she turned her head and broke point, but stayed there, so i walked up dismayed, but still somewhat on alert. What i found was the remains of either a hawk or coyote's meal. The good news is my 10 year old stuck with through a couple of light showers and continually thanked me for taking him with me. He didn't know it, but it was him making my day not me making his. I am going to have to camp out one night and see where on the property they actually turn out the pheasants. All in all still better than a day at the office.....:thumbsup:

Hello all. lets just say i have nothing to report. My son and I got to the field around 1:00 this afternoon. On the way in we passed a truck with a dog and two guys. Not a good sign. We hunted every field we could find. Cookie gave us a so-so point after about an hour of hunting, when i walked up to she turned her head and broke point, but stayed there, so i walked up dismayed, but still somewhat on alert. What i found was the remains of either a hawk or coyote's meal. The good news is my 10 year old stuck with through a couple of light showers and continually thanked me for taking him with me. He didn't know it, but it was him making my day not me making his. I am going to have to camp out one night and see where on the property they actually turn out the pheasants. All in all still better than a day at the office.....:thumbsup:

The time with your son and his enjoyment and excitement for it are better then a dozen limits! Glad you got him out and he had such a good time. Know I love having my daughter along in the field and while I don't want her to grow up any quicker than she is I can't wait until the day she can join me as a shooter in the field!

Wish I knew anything about Caesar that would help you but I don't. One thing I would say is to hunt the edges. My experience has been these released birds like to get in the woods right on the edge of more traditional pheasant habitat.

Keep after it. You will get some birds.

We hunted Charlemont Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. I as well thought that the hunter numbers were down. Had a little issue with guys trying to follow us first thing Friday after they seen we had dogs, but other than that it was pretty enjoyable for a release date. We harvested 8 out of 9 birds on Friday and 3 out of 4 on Saturday.

The time with your son and his enjoyment and excitement for it are better then a dozen limits! Glad you got him out and he had such a good time. Know I love having my daughter along in the field and while I don't want her to grow up any quicker than she is I can't wait until the day she can join me as a shooter in the field!

Wish I knew anything about Caesar that would help you but I don't. One thing I would say is to hunt the edges. My experience has been these released birds like to get in the woods right on the edge of more traditional pheasant habitat.

Keep after it. You will get some birds.

Thanks for the tip MattD. I was getting pretty nervous when Cookie went up into the woods. towards the end of the day she pointed a tree full of tweety birds. talk about desperate for a bird :D

Your thoughts about your daughter are dead on! As a father little girls are not suppose to grow up :(

We hunted Charlemont Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. I as well thought that the hunter numbers were down. Had a little issue with guys trying to follow us first thing Friday after they seen we had dogs, but other than that it was pretty enjoyable for a release date. We harvested 8 out of 9 birds on Friday and 3 out of 4 on Saturday.

Will you be making it out for the release this weekend? Glad to hear someone else did well on Friday and Saturday as well

We plan on heading out Saturday, might wait til mid morning tho instead of first light. If the crowds show up I get really stressed out about my dogs safety. We had a group walk right up to us and stand 5 yards to our left as we waited for Sunrise last Friday. They walked a mowed path while we hunted the cover with our dogs, we watched them raise up to potentially shoot several birds that were running, its just a recipe for disaster IMO

Made it out today after the rain with one of my buddies. Was able to grab three more well earned birds. Mandy is finally coming along with solid flushes on all three, and two great retrieves, and one that needed a little coaxing. After the rain, it seemed like they went straight to the thin spots in the cover to feed. Made for a great day for us!

:D
We plan on heading out Saturday, might wait til mid morning tho instead of first light. If the crowds show up I get really stressed out about my dogs safety. We had a group walk right up to us and stand 5 yards to our left as we waited for Sunrise last Friday. They walked a mowed path while we hunted the cover with our dogs, we watched them raise up to potentially shoot several birds that were running, its just a recipe for disaster IMO

If you are going to charlemonte, we will need it meet up (at least between pushes). Always nice to meet new people!

I hunted Tiffin River area Friday morning. We flushed 3 birds and got 2. I don't think they released the birds like they were supposed to. I seen probably 10-12 birds go up all morning. I believe the birds that were put up were from the youth release. It was still a great day to take out the new pup. Pup had rock solid points but no retrieves. Bro-inlaw hunted their in the afternoon and found 0 birds. Not many guys out hunting.

Saturday we hunted a private field that we had used for our PF youth hunt the weekend before. We knew their were birds left that the kids missed. :D This time I took both my GSP's, bro-inlaw brought his kids and setter. We flushed 9 roosters and managed to shoot 7. One rooster was a wild bird and we flushed two wild hens. Pup had no points or retrieves that day. The old guy kept finding all the birds, he let the setter retrieve one bird. He's really a jerk about sharing retrieves.

Tomorrow we're heading to Tiffin River again.

Last edited:
They talked me into hunting in the morning, so we will be there! I'll have the dark tri colored setter, say hi if you see us

I will be hunting out at Berlin lake unfortunatrly,. However, if that doesn't go well, I will head out that way. I'll have the chocolate lab, and I'm 6'7", so we will be hard to miss!

IMG_20151114_111054_zpsc2tmvdus.jpg

The results from our hunt on Saturday. I am so happy that this year it finally all click for this little girl, and couldn't be more proud of her. I'm just glad she was able to put it all together. I think she even enjoys hunting more now too!

Last edited:
IMG_20151114_111054_zpsc2tmvdus.jpg

The results from our hunt on Saturday. I am so happy that this year it finally all click for this little girl, and couldn't be more proud of her. I'm just glad she was able to put it all together. I think she even enjoys hunting more now too!

She done well, I'm glad you put em on the ground for her :) :10sign:

We had another good hunt at Tiffin River. We had a group of 5 and manged to shoot 8 birds. Should've had our limit but we missed a few. Pup is starting to back other dogs but still no retrieves.

PB140022_sm.jpg

Great job:) great looking bunch! The handlers are Ok too...:p

well I ran into a first today while hunting public land. Went to Berlin (seems to be my spot to go lately) and while walking a field I know the ODNR releases at, Mandy jumped a hen 40 yards off the roadway. I know its possible that the hen got mixed up in the released birds, but can only hope this bird and a wise rooster will survive the winter/spring.

well I ran into a first today while hunting public land. Went to Berlin (seems to be my spot to go lately) and while walking a field I know the ODNR releases at, Mandy jumped a hen 40 yards off the roadway. I know its possible that the hen got mixed up in the released birds, but can only hope this bird and a wise rooster will survive the winter/spring.

Something similar happened to me yesterday at Spring Valley, My son had a good week in school and begged me to take him and Cookie (our GSP) I took MattD's advice and went off of the natural pheasant terrain and cookie locked down and by the way she was shaking I knew she had a bird. When i flushed it was a hen, I was like wow where did she come from. Unfortunately that was the only bird we flushed,but it was another great day afield with my son and dog :thumbsup: Still waiting on my first public rooster :eek:

Back