Saturday 12/22/2012

Road Runner

Hunted more public ground on Saturday. We had a great day! Walked miles of tough looking cover and moved birds off of every piece. Nice mixed bag, we harvested quail, pheasants and huns. It was fun not knowing what we were going to flush next.

One encouraging note; as we were driving to a new spot, I have never hunted before, we passed a flock of 30-40 pheasants feeding in a winter wheat field. Private ground, we could not hunt, but is was like being in South Dakota for the briefest of moments. I have not seen that many pheasants in Idaho for quite some time.

I think it is a valley quail. But there was a little reddish color to the top of his head. I would not have expected the area I hunted to have gambles quail.

I think it is a valley quail. But there was a little reddish color to the top of his head. I would not have expected the area I hunted to have gambles quail.

That's what I thought. I would not have thought that Gambel would be in that part of the country. The pic shure looked like one. :)

Very nice. The quail in question is definitely a valley quail. Gambles don't have the blonde patch on the forehead.:cheers:

Nice RR! Good going:)
Wish I lived in western Idaho at times. You still got birds to hunt, we dont.
I might try for some huns Wednesday, but it will be a crapshoot heading to untested ground.

That is half the fun of hunting for me. I love trying new spots feels like I am exploring. Birds are just the excuse to watch the dogs work and seeing some of this beautiful planet. Good luck on wednesday.

Very nice. The quail in question is definitely a valley quail. Gambles don't have the blonde patch on the forehead.:cheers:

Thanks for the info on the identification. I was not sure how to positively ID them. I would like to try for some gambles some time. Quail are so fun to hunt and hard for me to hit. Plus the desert habitat can be very interesting to walk never know what I will find out there.

Thanks for the info on the identification. I was not sure how to positively ID them. I would like to try for some gambles some time. Quail are so fun to hunt and hard for me to hit. Plus the desert habitat can be very interesting to walk never know what I will find out there.

The desert is awesome, I highly recommend a trip for some gambles quail. Gambles also don't have the scaled yellow and bronze chest feathers. Their chest is more drab with cream and black feathers without the "scaled" appearance.

Last edited:
Back