Louisiana?

pnsballard

About to move to Louisiana and windering if anyone has hunted upland game down there. Looks like pheasant is on hunting preservations and it is pay-to-hunt or you're on quail in the wild. Thoughts? Going to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City/Shreveport.

Never hunted woodcock. Good eating? I hear they are hard to hit. How close are you to Barksdale AFB? Can you recommend a decent area to start relatively close to the Barksdale AFB area?

Never hunted woodcock. Good eating? I hear they are hard to hit. How close are you to Barksdale AFB? Can you recommend a decent area to start relatively close to the Barksdale AFB area?

Woodcock are fun to hunt. Yes they can be hard to hit. They tend to maneuver very well through trees that make a fast moving target all the more a fast moving target (if that makes sense).

Eating......their okay. Some like them, so don't. Nothing like Ruffed grouse for eating. I always leave them in salt water over night than cook with plenty of garlic.;)

Also, Louisiana has quail and dove hunting too.

P.S.---Welcome back O&N!!!

Woodcock? Good eating, but devilishly hard to hit. As stated, duck/snow goose hunting can be spectacular. If it were me, I'd for sure go 'Gator hunting. Head a bit north & there are tons of Quail, altho access may be a be-atch. Good luck.

We're here!

Ok...just arrived at Barksdale and up to my ears in boxes. However, once house is setup will be interested in getting together with someone chasing quail or woodcock. Drop me a line. I have a dog too. "Dakota" is my 2yo Vizsla. We'll be looking to get out.

Local WMAs or preserves?

What are some good starter areas in the Shreveport/Bossier City area? Anyone been to the Pecan Brake Lodge for a hunt?

Woodcock? Good eating, but devilishly hard to hit. As stated, duck/snow goose hunting can be spectacular. If it were me, I'd for sure go 'Gator hunting. Head a bit north & there are tons of Quail, altho access may be a be-atch. Good luck.
Koja...when you say "a bit north" how far north of Shreveport are you talking? There is a huge WMA in North LA--is that what you mean or are you talking about Missouri and Kansas?

Back