Curious

Again hunted close to 20 yrs in the same spots with little to no cover took 5 to 6 people hunting with me every time limited out. Don't really believe the cover story; yes they need cover, food, and water. The reason I don't believe the cover story is I walk big pieces of public land in Central Iowa I don't see many birds and I hunt with two good dogs, I go home where there may be five to ten feet of brome grass along a water way and I limit out. Therefore I'm not buying this cover story. Not to mention the farming practices today and the chemicals used are a million fold more environmentally safe compared to 10-15 years ago. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is mine. Maybe the large public areas in Central IA are just structured wrong wouldn't be the first time the DNR didn't know what they were doing but did it anyway.

I expect some chemicals and application procedures are a bit safer today....perhaps not a million fold, but one hopes that folks learn.
Problems still exist however....just the nature of the beast.

Hunting linear cover is decidely simple and effective especially when blockers are in the mix and crops are out. When compared to big block CRP, I'm sure many take a while to figure out how to hunt it. It even takes dogs a spell to understand it, truth be told....some then may revert to their waterways and road ditches unconvinced.
To the point of 7 folks limiting out every time in narrow brome tho?:)...no, that is a bit past silly but I reckon there is much more untold to that pheasant tale.
But I ignore such tales, even at the barbershop.

Farming practices today from actual planting/management decisions to bulldozers belching smoke in Iowa have played a hand in the loss of Iowa's pheasants.
The weather just put a cap on it.
I miss it...Iowa holds a lot of memories for my dogs and I.

If you have the right connections or know the right people there are places where you could shoot that amount of birds in NW IA. That are not many but there are a few places like that. I believe the winters in our area have more to do with our current situation.

I expect some chemicals and application procedures are a bit safer today....perhaps not a million fold, but one hopes that folks learn.
Problems still exist however....just the nature of the beast.

Hunting linear cover is decidely simple and effective especially when blockers are in the mix and crops are out. When compared to big block CRP, I'm sure many take a while to figure out how to hunt it. It even takes dogs a spell to understand it, truth be told....some then may revert to their waterways and road ditches unconvinced.
To the point of 7 folks limiting out every time in narrow brome tho?:)...no, that is a bit past silly but I reckon there is much more untold to that pheasant tale.
But I ignore such tales, even at the barbershop.

Farming practices today from actual planting/management decisions to bulldozers belching smoke in Iowa have played a hand in the loss of Iowa's pheasants.
The weather just put a cap on it.
I miss it...Iowa holds a lot of memories for my dogs and I.

Like.

Calling a spade a spade. Not saying it couldnt happen....

Yes, there are places in NW Iowa and other places in Iowa but they are not brome grass. The only way, it would be surrounded by excellant bird habitat and heavily pressured. This is not the scenerio given. With the low bird #'s this year even the best habitat it would be hard to get 27 roosters in one day.

Wasn't the point of the thread occupation?

I'm a Project Manager for a Building Envelope contractor. We do large buildings, small buildings, you name it. We work all over the country and have 24 hour service.

Check out the website...thanks for looking.

http://www.archwall.com/

Been pheasant hunting for approximately 10 years and I haven't seen it as poor as the last two. Sad for me and my young dog (2 years old) that hasn't had a bird shot over her.

I'm a Project Manager for a Building Envelope contractor. We do large buildings, small buildings, you name it. We work all over the country and have 24 hour service.

Been pheasant hunting for approximately 10 years and I haven't seen it as poor as the last two. Sad for me and my young dog (2 years old) that hasn't had a bird shot over her.

you can fix that next season, take her to SD!:thumbsup:

yes you do have a point there:thumbsup:. it's funny how it turned into a form of myth busters!:rolleyes: ps sorry for any name calling. we wouldn't want any of the mods to flex their muscles:rolleyes:. :cheers:

I was a wind turbine technician and material control coordinator at a NW IA windfarm until I was permanently laid off back in June. Seems my profession is really hated by some of the good folks on the Kansas forum. I'm trying to decide if I want to go another direction or add to my wind energy degree ?

I was a wind turbine technician and material control coordinator at a NW IA windfarm until I was permanently laid off back in June. Seems my profession is really hated by some of the good folks on the Kansas forum. I'm trying to decide if I want to go another direction or add to my wind energy degree ?

You picked a good location for the consideration of moving hot air around.

Wind farms in Kansas don't bother me overmuch but I do wonder how appropriate they are when perched down the spine of the Appalachians.

Interesting thread read, all.

As for me . . . I too am a born-and-raised Iowan, and currently serving my community as Vice President at a Fortune 100 Financial institution.

Beer city, I grew up in IA as well. Nth central to be exact. I believe you when you say you have been getting birds in IA as have I. But to think the reason that we don't need cover is for that reason alone is a short fall. We definatley need more cover in IA. The only reason for the numbers down there the last 10 years is no winters. This last year showed how important that actualy is.
I hunted around those wind farms and did just as well as else where.

Clearing some things up for any confusion I haven't released any birds in the last ten to twelve years for some of you that may have questions about that. I know RoosterFetcher likes to accuse me of releasesing birds right before I hunt that's not the case I would be willing to take anyone on a hunt with me to see how I hunt. Also maybe look at the person making accusations because more than likley that is what they are doing in there own life. Roosterfetcher married my dad and for whatever reason feels the need to bash me every chance she gets. Which is fine her reward can be of this earth, I'm leaving the site due to the fact that I have better things to do than have her track me on this site. I wanted to be able to use this site as away to talk to other pheasant hunters about things that they like but like everything else I am a part of she ruins that too. Hope the rest of the upland nation will see the light as well

Good Bye

Brent Beelner

Sorry you feel that way BCPH. I'm not accusing you of releasing birds only the location where you hunt. I'm sorry you're taking this wrong I was only trying to bring light on the subject. We can agree to disagree and that didn't mean you had to leave the website. For that I'm sorry. I respond to a bunch of peoples threads and only a handful of yours. I thought pheasant hunting we could share and have in common. Obviously I was mistaken. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and the best of luck hunting, fishing and life in general. I won't be blamed for the problems in your life (they were there years before I entered the picture). Take care.

BeerCity and RF, You can both add good info to the forums, and both of you are welcome here.
I don't see the need to bring personal feuds to UPH.

Who how did I miss this thread?:) Guess it's over way to go MNMT:mad: I love big ag I smell it every morning (hog houses) and they raise my rents every year. Funny thing is I never bitch about not being able to make it farming and thats all the big guys do:confused:

You picked a good location for the consideration of moving hot air around.

Wind farms in Kansas don't bother me overmuch but I do wonder how appropriate they are when perched down the spine of the Appalachians.

I don't know anything about turbines in those mountains. I can assume there would be limited locations on mountain sites, to put turbines. Usually areas like these have shear winds that are pretty hard on blades.

On the other hand, I don't blame you for wondering.

Back