I think we need a Cash Crop Forum

UGUIDE

It has recently occurred to me that having a habitat or pheasant forum without a cash crop forum is out of balance.

As oyu know many of our posts end up in what appears or feels like farmer bashing when in reality it is just about issues that farming has to do with pheasants, conservation and habitat. Usually competing priorities.

I for one value the information that that other pheasant hunting farmers have on this forum but to make this sector of the land stand on its own it needs its own forum.

It would be great if this forum were relevant and valuable enough that it would attract non pheasant hunting farmers looking to acquire and share knowledge.

The other advantage is it would educate all that going forward the success of a conservation bird yielding farm will have to take into full account the profitablility and functioning of the farm as a whole and with out this new forum the farm as a whole is not well represented on this forum board.

I would suggest putting it right below or above habitat.

Please voice your opinions on this idea.

I agree with you on this.

Great idea, anytime you can bring two groups together for them to gain insight into the others area. It can be a great asset.

I think its a great idea as well. I think that both sides need to realize that there doesn't need to be a ton of quantity as long as there was quality. Just like any thing else weather it be dogs, guns, or anything else if it isn't quality it's worthless.

Webguy?

What do you say Webguy? I would be willing to champion it and moderate like I did the habitat forum way back when.

I can still do this without being a moderator too. FYI.

I feel the crop side needs a voice in this community. In order to get 100% of the picture you have to deal with both sides, the crop side and the habitat side.

One successful measure of the crop forum would be to attract farmers that are not hunters that participate in this new forum. If not there are plenty of forum members that farm now that could participate.

Title of Forum would be "Cash Crop Farming". Sub label would be "Discuss crop talk, farming practices, legislation, nutrient management, cash flow and sustainability issues." I would take the word "Farming" out of the Habitat Forum sub label.

Put this new forum right beneath Habitat Forum and visible on main page.

Last edited:
I farm for the wildlife. It has not made me the most poplar person with some of the family and neighbors, but I really don't care because I care more about those little critters that could use my help.

My only fear is that this would degenerate into a arguement thread between those that believe you can basically farm the center of the road and everything in between, based on the theory that they can, and haven't exterminated all the wildlife yet, and those who would err on the side of conservatism and aren't driven solely by profit as a justification. Both sides are already firm in their belief that they are right and close minded to any belief which differs. I'd gladly suffer it, if I thought one breakthrough resulting in maximum profit and high bird numbers would occur, but we already know that isn't going to happen, and I can feel my blood pressure rise 10 points as I write this. Besides, I already get "The Progrssive Farmer", "The High Plains Journal" and a few others, and it's all I can take.

My only fear is that this would degenerate into a arguement thread between those that believe you can basically farm the center of the road and everything in between,.

Then it would be as bad as politics and religion on this site. However, I chose to believe that the majority of participants would be farmers that are like may on the site that have and eye for conservation and hunt and are truly trying to make the farm pay in a sustainable way and also so the kids can come out and hunt when they visit.

If the topic can get as toxic as we think it can then it should be one we need to master anyway and where better than this forum. Where else is it going to happen?

Then it would be as bad as politics and religion on this site. However, I chose to believe that the majority of participants would be farmers that are like may on the site that have and eye for conservation and hunt and are truly trying to make the farm pay in a sustainable way and also so the kids can come out and hunt when they visit.

If the topic can get as toxic as we think it can then it should be one we need to master anyway and where better than this forum. Where else is it going to happen?

As they say, No guts, no glory. I'm still in awe that little old PF, managed to save and preserve 12000 + acres last year alone, all open to the public. All this despite being among the smaller wildlife organizations, just think what we could do if it were the size of D.U.

I know there is opportunity for all the conservation orgs out there to come together and pool resources and efforts where common objectives can be accomplished. I have seen this work well in South Dakota where Game and Fish, PF and DU work to put habitat acres on the ground across the state. Bottom line though is whoever is trying to sell or educate the landowner or farmer on how to improve thing they must see things for the owner or managers perspective and do a better job of understanding their issues, challenges, goals, objectives and then offer solutions and opportunities.

As they say, No guts, no glory. I'm still in awe that little old PF, managed to save and preserve 12000 + acres last year alone, all open to the public. All this despite being among the smaller wildlife organizations, just think what we could do if it were the size of D.U.

I found this interesting;

In it's first 25 years of it's existence, Pheasants Forever had 5 million acres of habitat projects nation wide.

In 2010 we had around 600,000 acres of habitat projects nation wide
In 2011 we had around 800,000 acres of habiatat projects nation wide

In the next 5 years we are projecting 5 million acres or more in Pheasants Forever habitat projects.

The momentum is growing. 10 years from now God only knows how many acres we'll be working on each year.

Youth programs and events are growing at a fast pass within PF chapters too.

It's a good thing and needs to keep growing. If you ask, I'll tell you what our chapter has in store for 2012/13 and beyond:D:cheers:

I found this interesting;

In it's first 25 years of it's existence, Pheasants Forever had 5 million acres of habitat projects nation wide.

In 2010 we had around 600,000 acres of habitat projects nation wide
In 2011 we had around 800,000 acres of habiatat projects nation wide

In the next 5 years we are projecting 5 million acres or more in Pheasants Forever habitat projects.

The momentum is growing. 10 years from now God only knows how many acres we'll be working on each year.

Youth programs and events are growing at a fast pass within PF chapters too.

It's a good thing and needs to keep growing. If you ask, I'll tell you what our chapter has in store for 2012/13 and beyond:D:cheers:

I'm very interested in this, I'm also very interested in results. 5 million acres is impressive. What for instance, how are the pheasants doing on the habitat projects? I wonder about predator control? Winter cover and food?
Pheasants habitat and cover is so much more then, for instance planting Warm Season Grass.

I've changed my tune on this as I will be enrolling 200 more acres (most of rest of my cropland) in to the next general CRP signup and cash renting the 100 acres left in crop to neighbor farmer.

Clearly you really owe me that dinner at McCormick & Schmick's after quiting before even one crop year.

Back