solo hunting

I like to share the experience with a few buddies. It is not only the hunt but the ride in the truck, dinner afterwards, telling stories, etc. It is all part of the experience for me. Bigger groups get a little more crazy with dogs and shooting in many directions. But to answer the question, I haven't done much solo hunting maybe I should try it a few times!

Goose, you're big on safety but don't wear orange? I don't care what the law says. I'm not personally hunting with anyone who refuses to wear orange. A hat and something visible on the shoulders is my own personal requirement.
No orange. Camo.

You really don't know how good you are as a hunter unless you go solo:) There might be three guys in the truck, but we always hunt in different directions and meet back at the truck.

Goose, you're big on safety but don't wear orange? I don't care what the law says. I'm not personally hunting with anyone who refuses to wear orange. A hat and something visible on the shoulders is my own personal requirement.
I was surprised to learn that some states actually do not require any blaze orange while upland hunting. I just always assumed that at least one article of blaze orange was required. Apparently not.

We have a lot of days in the fall that coincide with a deer firearms season and even more than normal upland blaze orange is required during these days.

I have always worn orange. That said, when I was prairie chicken hunting NW MN, I thought that was about the only time you would be fine going without. So I can understand if you are hunting prairie grouse in a sea of shin high grass alone, I wouldn't feel the need unless required by law.

The birds know you are there...even before you pull the RUN switch on your shotgun...everything with in a half mile knows exactly where you are at that moment...and you still shoot more birds after the opening shot, right???
I am as quiet as possible (no slamming doors, no yelling, quietly loading shotguns, trying to keep the dog whining to a minimum, etc.) and I like hunting with others who do the same. However, the idea that yelling "Hen!" botches a hunt seems silly. As Remy noted, once you fire your first shot, every bird in the area knows you're there yet I often get into more birds after the first shot(s) so loud noises must not be too much of a factor.

That said, everyone's hunting experiences/situations are different and some may find that once a hen is called out or a single shot is fired all birds immediately leave the area.

ETA: I like hunting alone with one or two of my dogs, but I also like hunting with immediate family and very close friends. My favorite days are with my wife, my son, and our two dogs.

I also carry an In-Reach, which is a great idea for anyone who hunts solo.

As for orange, generally speaking, I'd never hunt with anybody who refused to wear any orange. Why risk getting shot or shooting someone else? Seems like a poor choice but to each his own.

Last edited:
The best outings for me are when it is just my wife and I. It is such a thrill every time she gets a bird. She just started hunting pheasants a few years ago and her confidence is growing. I also enjoy the time when my 13 year old nephew gets to join me. He is nearly as big a fanatic about pheasants as I am. He is hooked for life. A few outings a year with close hunting buddies is fun too. I appreciate the stories and good-natured ribbing at a missed opportunities. It is fun to see their dogs work in the field if they have them and equally fun show casing your own dog(s). What I love about solo hunts is how the game slows down and I am more in tune with the sounds, smells and sights of nature without the additional distractions.

Noise: A nearly instantaneous shot is hard to pinpoint, especially since a bird's ears are near ground level, surrounded by cover. Yelling, talking, bells, beeping, anything more continuous, is much easier for a pheasant to pinpoint, or at least establish a general direction & whether the noise is getting nearer or further away. Making noise makes the pheasant's task of evading you easier. If being quiet can get me & my dog even 5-10 yards closer to a bird before he goes into evasion mode, it can easily make the difference between a decent shot & none at all.

I am hunting by myself 99% of the time and carry a PLB. It can't text and doesn't have a subscription fee. It has a single SHTF button if I need help. Very simple. Battery lasts for 5 years. Just had the battery replaced and re-certified. Unless I'm turkey hunting, I wear orange bird hunting on public land. I often put orange vests on my dogs too. Helps me see them in the thick stuff and helps them a bit in really cold weather. Also makes me feel better when I know deer season is in. Never underestimate a stupid person. I think being quiet is important for any kind of hunting. I like keeping my truck organized so I can get my vest, grab my gun and get collars on the dogs without banging, talking and yelling. My dogs are finally at the point where we can hunt a field and I don't have to say a word.

Last edited:
Noise: A nearly instantaneous shot is hard to pinpoint, especially since a bird's ears are near ground level, surrounded by cover. Yelling, talking, bells, beeping, anything more continuous, is much easier for a pheasant to pinpoint, or at least establish a general direction & whether the noise is getting nearer or further away. Making noise makes the pheasant's task of evading you easier. If being quiet can get me & my dog even 5-10 yards closer to a bird before he goes into evasion mode, it can easily make the difference between a decent shot & none at all.
This makes a lot of sense. Perhaps the best rational I've heard for being as quiet as possible, and avoiding continuous noise (beeping, talking, etc.).

The best outings for me are when it is just my wife and I. It is such a thrill every time she gets a bird. She just started hunting pheasants a few years ago and her confidence is growing. I also enjoy the time when my 13 year old nephew gets to join me. He is nearly as big a fanatic about pheasants as I am. He is hooked for life. A few outings a year with close hunting buddies is fun too. I appreciate the stories and good-natured ribbing at a missed opportunities. It is fun to see their dogs work in the field if they have them and equally fun show casing your own dog(s). What I love about solo hunts is how the game slows down and I am more in tune with the sounds, smells and sights of nature without the additional distractions.
Mike, I envy you being able to hunt with your wife. I wish my wife would hunt more with me. I think it adds to your relationship and gives you something to build on in a relationship. When we were younger we had Harley's and that was a passion we shared together. Keep those passions and common interests alive.

Back