solo hunting

After what them birds made it through last winter in SD? If one blizzard can take a bunch out then they don't have very good winter cattail cover or cedar trees or somethining like that,
We would be short on "good storm refuge cover" here. Shelter belts around building sites would hold most of the survivors to repopulate if we receive a good after-dark blow & snow. I have some conifers in the middle of the section that are getting big enough to provide some storm cover now, but I hope we don't get one of those night-time killers to see how effective they are. Most of the heavy winter cover here is quite small. No swamps that you can measure in acres. Heck, most bird cover you hunt here is quite small, with the exception of the few CRP parcels. Location changes everything, particlurly the habitat....which is everything.

No sarcasm. Just stating that me and the bird dog(s) are damn productive when it is just us. I wish SW MN offered some realistic chance at something besides a rooster. Huns, grouse, etc... would be nice if even a few were around.
I figure if I make it to retirement with my legs still feeling good, I will chase some of the other upland birds we don't have here. I have a Chevelle to restore then also, but I know I will need a break from that, when the temps start dropping.

I figure if I make it to retirement with my legs still feeling good, I will chase some of the other upland birds we don't have here. I have a Chevelle to restore then also, but I know I will need a break from that, when the temps start dropping.
You probably could get a few Hungarian partridge in iowa. And then head south an hour or two and get into quail.

You probably could get a few Hungarian partridge in iowa. And then head south an hour or two and get into quail.
You might see a group of partridge on the road, not in recent years, but, that is about it. Quail, you are spot on, an hour south and I might have a fair chance for some. I would like a pair of each to mount.

I learned upland hunting in western KS with a group. Everybody in the group was safe and it was a lot of fun. But there was one guy in the group that was a self-centered schmuck to begin with, and who evolved into a real jerk. I started to type out some of his stunts, but decided not too.

After that I just hunt alone or with my boys when I can manage to convince them to go. But, I really love the alone hunts. Just me and the dogs and the country and my thoughts. And, it's no big deal if I don't bag any birds.

Another strategy that has worked well for me is solo hunting down canyons.
I start by climbing up out of view of a cattail canyon up to the top then cross over to canyon
and put the lab in cattails and push roosters towards the bottom.
Most hunters would start at the bottom only to have the roosters run up canyon,
run out of cover and flush way out of range.
cattails_MT.jpg

I hunt solo most of the time now too. I used to hunt more with my now deceased Grandfather, my Uncle, and/or a few trusted friends. They either don't hunt birds anymore or they're doing hard time at the family prisons.

I can be quieter by myself which is an advantage later in the season. Plus I can hunt on my own schedule instead of trying to coordinate when someone else can go with.

I have zero interest in hunting in a larger group.
Yeah these deals where 10 guys surround a shelter belt.Those birds have no chance. Thumbs down on those people big time.

one thing about going solo: if your dog gets shot there's no question who's to blame. my last dog got shot by none other than his prior foster master. dog lost an eye and I was out a thou. never pointed the finger of blame; just let it go.

Back