solo hunting

Hunting alone with the dog. No greater challenge, no greater satisfaction, no greater enjoyment. For me and for Sage, anyway.
Yep that's my zen. I do enjoy hunting with a few other people once in a while. Have a few beers, have some friendships.That big group thing is bogus.Thumbs down on that.Those birds have no chance, with 10 hammerhead blasting away. No that's bs.

Yep that's my zen. I do enjoy hunting with a few other people once in a while. Have a few beers, have some friendships.That big group thing is bogus.Thumbs down on that.Those birds have no chance, with 10 hammerhead blasting away. No that's bs.
Not even a big group of liberals who like beer, chocolate, and spending money?

Honest question based on several of your previous posts in other threads.

I find solo hunting in MN too easy. Something about just me and a bird dog. Nearly every time it is one or two walks and done. Spend more time driving than hunting.
Not sure if there is sarcasm in this or not, but for me, most days (in the last few years), I could maybe only hunt all day if I only loaded shot into every third shell. Birds are plentiful in the area currently...but this could all change with one nasty blizzard. Up in MN, your limit is just 2, right? I have to think solo hunters in southern MN are often finished in less than an hour. Location, location, location!

Birds are plentiful in the area currently...but this could all change with one nasty blizzard.

After what them birds made it through last winter in SD? If one blizzard can take a bunch out then they don't have very good winter cattail cover or cedar trees or somethining like that,

Driven freezing rain turning to snow can really hurt any and all wildlife no matter how great the cover. Continued severe drought or 1 big hailstorm can be devastating also.

Up in MN, your limit is just 2, right? I have to think solo hunters in southern MN are often finished in less than an hour.
Its 2 until December, then its 3. Which is a big reason why I do more hunting as the calendar turns December.

I usually drive an hour to get to my hunting area. Quite often, at least before December, I spend more time driving than hunting. I do not hunt in southern MN though.

After what them birds made it through last winter in SD? If one blizzard can take a bunch out then they don't have very good winter cattail cover or cedar trees or somethining like that,

I will agree with that. Blows my mind that we've got not just some pheasants around, but just as many as last fall (perhaps more) after the ice storm, 80+ inches of snow, the typical wind and cold of a SD winter that combined to completely bury countless cattail sloughs. But the pheasants found the biggest cattails, the food plots and weed seeds and were able to grind it out and be blessed with dang near perfect nesting conditions.

No sarcasm. Just stating that me and the bird dog(s) are damn productive when it is just us. I wish SW MN offered some realistic chance at something besides a rooster. Huns, grouse, etc... would be nice if even a few were around.

after the ice storm, 80+ inches of snow, the typical wind and cold of a SD winter that combined to completely bury countless cattail sloughs
Isn't that something? Last year at this time where I hunt in MN there was already 13 inches of snow on the ground that I was trudging through. Tomorrow its supposed to be almost 50 degrees. What a difference a year makes.

At this pace, January is going to be a good month to hunt out there in SD.

Back