solo hunting

I hunt alone unless one of my adult sons wants to join me. I had a regular hunting buddy and realized after a many years he was more or less a game hog. It wasn't like that early on, but it got to the point that he'd keep shooting after he got his limit. He also admitted to shooting over his limit on his own. I ran into his son the other day and he was bragging about their year, then proceeded to tell me how he shot 6 birds in one day. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I hunt alone unless one of my adult sons wants to join me. I had a regular hunting buddy and realized after a many years he was more or less a game hog. It wasn't like that early on, but it got to the point that he'd keep shooting after he got his limit. He also admitted to shooting over his limit on his own. I ran into his son the other day and he was bragging about their year, then proceeded to tell me how he shot 6 birds in one day. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Jawilor, just curious, did you talk to your buddy about his behavior or just decide enough was enough?

Jawilor, just curious, did you talk to your buddy about his behavior or just decide enough was enough?
I would make comments, but I don't think he got the hint so I just quit hunting with him. The weird part is that he's actually a good guy outside of the hunting world. I ran into him this Summer at an event and we talked for hours over beers, but it didn't change my mind about going back out with him. In my opinion, he went from a hunter to a killer at some point in time and can't control that urge.

When hunting MT huns solo, covey flushes is a functions of miles covered in big country.
I hunt my lab way out of gun range...about 150-200 yards and let her hunt.
When she gets birdy, I stop here silently with the vibration on the ecollar and circle in for the covey flush.
Screenshot 2023-10-26 174229.png
IMG_0003.JPG

Sometimes I will flush a covey while chasing roosters. This time a ice-cold swim was needed...no problem for the lab.
hun_water_retrieve.jpg

I don't hunt with people like that.I have in the past, but that was over 20 years ago.Im not a boyscout, but I try to keep it as legal as I can.

Solo hunting ptarmigan in Alaska is also a function of miles covered.
ptarmigan_country.jpg
My strategy is to let the lab hunt out of range (100-200 yards) until the dog gets birdy.
rock_ptarmigan_landscape.jpg
Then whistle sit the dog and move in to find those white chickens.

Ptarmigan are typically low flushers which I do not like...especially Willow Ptarmigan in riparian areas.
Sometimes Rock Ptarmigan on steep slopes give more challenging shooting with the dog way upslope and birds flushing downslope.

Ptarmigan have dark meat similar to sharptails or spruce grouse.
I typically hunt them in August when they are in the alpine berry patches.
A wonderful bird for pup's first upland hunt.
puppy_ptarmigan.jpg

View attachment 7358
My strategy is to let the lab hunt out of range (100-200 yards) until the dog gets birdy.
View attachment 7359

Ptarmigan are typically low flushers which I do not like...especially Willow Ptarmigan in riparian areas.
Sometimes Rock Ptarmigan on steep slopes give more challenging shooting with the dog way upslope and birds flushing downslope.

View attachment 7357
Ha. Good one

View attachment 7358
View attachment 7359

View attachment 7357
That is on my “gotta do” list!

I used to hunt alone about 90% of the time. But after crawling out of the woods a couple times, when I do solo, I'll drop a pen and text my direction.
I am usually hunting alone. My most valuable hunting accessory is my Garmin InReach. It is always on me and powered up while out and about. There is a "locate me" function my family or friends can use for a worst case scenario.

I am usually hunting alone. My most valuable hunting accessory is my Garmin InReach. It is always on me and powered up while out and about. There is a "locate me" function my family or friends can use for a worst case scenario.
I really like having it on the alpha. With the full unit, I would often leave it behind if I didn't think I was going far. Now I have it anytime out with the dogs and can still bring it separately if hiking without them.

I was able to send a text just yesterday when I lost my key. And then was able to send another when I found them since i could spend time searching instead of hiking out.

I also have an InReach with me 100 percent of the time.

Each morning before I head out I email my wife a google map pin showing exactly where my truck will be parked
and what direction I will be hunting. I always text her when I'm headed home.

The final rooster of the year 2023 solo hunting.
This rooster saw me and the lab as he was on an abandoned railroad grade.
He flushed at over 200 yards and flew across an entire section.
I knew there was a grazed out pasture at the section line.
So we hustled the mile across the section and immediately pup pup in a patch of cattails along the section line.
Bear spray on my pack...I never leave home without it!
Last2023_Rooster.JPG

Back