Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

I envy you guys that can harvest moose, salmon and other type of fowl. Here in East Tennessee there is not the kind of game variety of other regions. I don't hunt deer and even if I did, I think I would be a little concerned about CWD. I am approaching the age of retirement so maybe I should see if my wife wants to move West!

I don't know about them genetics. I pulled in my dad's one time and found him 20 feet up in a tree with a chain saw. He was 89. At 90 he made three trips to the horse stables shoveling shit on the garden. I'm 67 and having a little trouble getting out of the recliner. :unsure::unsure: course he didn't drink?? Naaaa that's not it..
My dad never did manual labor past age 35. Luckily, he loved bird hunting and needed someone to clean birds.

I envy you guys that can harvest moose, salmon and other type of fowl. Here in East Tennessee there is not the kind of game variety of other regions. I don't hunt deer and even if I did, I think I would be a little concerned about CWD. I am approaching the age of retirement so maybe I should see if my wife wants to move West!
TT, Good luck with that, lol. I tried to get my wife years ago to move west. Colorado or Montana

There might be a chance I could get her within driving distance of NW Arkansas. She has a brother and his family in that area. That is not really "West" in relation to this thread but I am really wearing myself out hunting these East TN mountains. Somewhere within a couple of hours of NW Arkansas and closer to Pheasant/Quail might work for both of us.

Maybe once a year I will have beef in a restaurant. It’s okay but not like moose or caribou. What I can’t do without is salmon and I get particular about which salmon. Feeder kings are first choice and silvers from the salt are next. Reds are okay made into salmon candy or smoked, but pinks never stay in the boat. Halibut is okay but black rockfish are better, unfortunately they really are little fun to catch. More info than you probably care about but just trying to be as quirky as Goose.

There might be a chance I could get her within driving distance of NW Arkansas. She has a brother and his family in that area. That is not really "West" in relation to this thread but I am really wearing myself out hunting these East TN mountains. Somewhere within a couple of hours of NW Arkansas and closer to Pheasant/Quail might work for both of us.
NW Arkansas is a fantastic place. If I didn't love snow and winter, I'd definitely consider moving down there some day. We're big mountain bikers in the summer, and I've been to Bentonville/Fayetteville/Eureka Springs about a half dozen times now to ride bikes. Absolutely gorgeous country, and a hell of a lot cheaper to live than the Twin Cities of MN. Side note, a few years back Bentonville area had a program where if you applied, moved down there, and got a job they'd give you $10,000 cash and a mountain bike (Which some folks spend 10k on easy.) Not sure if the program is still going on, but I believe it was called FindingNWA Incentive?

Maybe once a year I will have beef in a restaurant. It’s okay but not like moose or caribou. What I can’t do without is salmon and I get particular about which salmon. Feeder kings are first choice and silvers from the salt are next. Reds are okay made into salmon candy or smoked, but pinks never stay in the boat. Halibut is okay but black rockfish are better, unfortunately they really are little fun to catch. More info than you probably care about but just trying to be as quirky as Goose.
I understand about a restaurant cooking a steak. I tend to buy a whole loin and have butcher cut steaks 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick. Then I cook them on the grill, exactly the way I like them cooked. Makes a huge difference. I don't have a supply of Elk though. Some do.

I guided for Salmon one season at a fly-in lodge Outside of Ketchikan. Fished for all the species and share your opinion about Chum and Pinks.. and Halibut and Rockfish were for when you limited out on Salmon. Days off exploring and some light tackle fishing made it an awesome experience.
Still love the taste of Salmon but Utah is not exactly the Salmon capital of the west. I won't buy any of that farm raised crap so relegated to frozen Sockeye filets from Costco which is actually pretty good. Have a freezer full of Elk so don't buy much beef anymore but will inhale a thick rare Ribeye once in a while.
King - 8 lb test.JPG

would love to catch fish like that. wow!

would love to catch fish like that. wow!
That is a king. The largest, most fun to catch, and personally I believe the best eating. There is also a petition filed by a conservation group to have them listed as endangered or threatened not sure which. Their numbers have plummeted in the last few years due to a variety of factors, a sad day. I have a 64 pounder on my wall that I got in a drift boat, quiet a feat.

That is a king. The largest, most fun to catch, and personally I believe the best eating. There is also a petition filed by a conservation group to have them listed as endangered or threatened not sure which. Their numbers have plummeted in the last few years due to a variety of factors, a sad day. I have a 64 pounder on my wall that I got in a drift boat, quiet a feat.
Love it!
Usually get on quite a good King and Coho bite.....mix in some Rainbows too. Fun Fun Fun!
Coho is delicious!

Attachments

• Resized952022070895093247.jpg
    Resized952022070895093247.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG952411.jpg
    IMG952411.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG952414.jpg
    IMG952414.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 7
That is a king. The largest, most fun to catch, and personally I believe the best eating.
I don't know? That King was on 8# test and a light rod and fun but 10 lb silvers on a fly rod are a real hoot too. Just send it down on the rigger and hang on!

When I was there in the limit on Kings for non-residents was 2 over 24" for the year. Lots of pressure to produce.

Congrats on the 64 lb King. I saw one that was in the 50's and it was a real slob.

I think I would be a little concerned about CWD.
Just so you're aware, there has never been a documented case of a person becoming infected with CWD from consuming a deer with a confirmed case of it. It causes similar effects as mad cow disease does in cattle and the prions live in the brain, spinal cord, and lymph nodes. As long as you don't consume that and properly cook the meat, there is no health concern to people.

The issue isn't that we're worried about it carrying over into people; the issue is that we're worried about it taking out the deer herd. It can wipe out a local deer population. And the reality is that deer hunting is far more popular and generates far more to the economy than any upland hunting does, except maybe for South Dakota. That's why state wildlife agencies take it seriously.

As long as you don't consume that and properly cook the meat, there is no health concern to people.

Since a prion is a protein and not living like a bacteria or virus heat doesn't destroy it as easily. I believe the prions can remain in tact through most cooking temps. One big worry is that coyotes would contract it by eating the deer nervous system. This has not happened yet and I hope it never does. Terrible disease.

Since a prion is a protein and not living like a bacteria or virus heat doesn't destroy it as easily. I believe the prions can remain in tact through most cooking temps. One big worry is that coyotes would contract it by eating the deer nervous system. This has not happened yet and I hope it never does. Terrible disease.
Luckily it has not "jumped species" yet and only infects 4 legged hoofed mammals at this point.

If I'm not mistaken, every single case of CWD has originated from a pen raised deer or elk. We created this problem.

Back