Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

BritChaser

Got a peeve or two you want to air? This is the place to do it. Bring it on! I'll start.

It's about etiquette afield; that is, lack thereof. First: I was blocking at the end of a line of fruit trees for three guns who were pushing through them. About 20 yards from the end of the trees (and me), this offender turned and walked across the zones of the other two guns obviously hoping to get the jump on any end flushers. Second: Three of us were taking a line along a draw. A bird gets knocked down but we can't find it right off. The offender helps look for less than a minute and then continues down the draw by himself. Third: Several of us were taking a line through a milo strip with three blockers at the end. Initially all blockers were properly positioned, about 20' beyond the end of the milo strip. As we pushers neared the blockers, the offender moved forward about 15' into the milo ahead of the other two blockers. But karma got him: birds flushed behind him and he got no shots. Fourth: Small group of us executed a pincer movement on a patch of cattails. First hunt of the day. Lots of birds. When I came face to face with my counterpart on the opposing line, he handed me a bird saying I had to carry it because he was over the limit. Did he quit shooting for the rest of the day? Ha. He never observed the limits.

Four different hunter-offenders? Nope.

Last edited:
I have 2 dogs and 40 years pheasant hunting experience so it’s a given I’m the one pushing corn, tree lines or cattails 75% of time. No problem. I enjoy watching other guys excitement shooting. However, when I’m finally blocking you can bet your last dollar that the pushers will somehow screw it up. Not spread out evenly, when pushing standing corn a pusher is too far in from the side as birds slip out the sides and run or flush back. They Drop a bird in standing corn and 2 guys look and look while the other pushers keep going. Again, a screwed up push with birds easily escaping out the sides.

Outside of opening weekend, I hunt mostly by myself. But, opening weekend normally involves a bigger family group. It always bothers me when someone turns a bird to mush by not letting it get out a bit, especially if there are less experienced hunters in the group who are looking to shoot their first bird. I think my sister went 10 years before she finally shot a bird that she knew was "hers".

A couple seasons ago, on opening day, I was out with my lab on a good familiar 1/4 section of CRP. Over the rise come 4-5 guys and some dogs headed right at me on a line. Not sure why the didn’t see me. Turns out they parked a short distance from me too. Initially upset, I decided to leave. Decided to look for a different field and actually found a couple of good fields a few miles down the road. Hunted those fields multiple times that season and since and often have found birds there. Funny thing is that I likely wouldn’t have found the new fields if I hadn’t left that old familiar field opening day. Lesson learned.

Lefty76: "I think my sister went 10 years before she finally shot a bird that she knew was 'hers'."

I admire your sister's stick-to-it-iveness and your concern for her not getting equal treatment afield.

My biggest is when you are hunting a 1/2 or 1 sq mile patch of public land and another group of hunters come into the same field. I haven't done opener in a long time because people act like assholes on that first weekend.

Door slamming and general unreadiness when we get to the field. There's always a little gear-organizing and readying, but it seems like some guys got in the truck in the morning having forgot what we were going to do.

The reverse bird hog: loves to go, never wants to take birds home. I guess the silver lining of the last couple years in Kansas is that numbers are low enough that we don't have this problem all that much. However, years ago when we had a great opening weekend host and a larger group, there could sometimes be a little discussion about dividing up the birds on Sunday.

Others have mentioned line discipline in various forms, that can get a little old.

My biggest is when you are hunting a 1/2 or 1 sq mile patch of public land and another group of hunters come into the same field. I haven't done opener in a long time because people act like assholes on that first weekend.
Agreed. A lot of the guys who hunt opening week, hunt that week and don't hunt anymore during the season. Very rude group. It's all about them...

Last edited:
Others have mentioned line discipline in various forms, that can get a little old.
The few times I hunt a large group in a year, this is a big one. A couple guys in the group seem clueless about their walking speed. When the guys in the middle of the line start to get ahead of everyone it's very annoying. Also when guys damn near overrun the dogs. When you see pups working the cover well, and they're 5 to 10 feet in front of someone half the time. It's tough to get some people to match pace with the dogs. That being said I'm working on them to do better. Lastly a buddy last year I noticed was carrying his gun at port arms but with the muzzle pointed at an angle at the ground. He never covered me in that manner, but I'm planning on having a talk with him about it before we hunt again. He is a good guy and fun to hunt with.

Stop hunting with repeat offender? I know that can be difficult with established groups but if he's that bad you may have to. I've done it before.

The reverse bird hog: loves to go, never wants to take birds home. I guess the silver lining of the last couple years in Kansas is that numbers are low enough that we don't have this problem all that much. However, years ago when we had a great opening weekend host and a larger group, there could sometimes be a little discussion about dividing up the birds on Sunday.
This!!! This happens every year on opening weekend. Fortunately, my folks love to eat pheasant, as do I, but with the way I hunt now I have to keep an eye on my possession limits from the two states I hunt frequently.

Nobody's perfect, even the grippers! Stay home if you want perfection or hunt by yourselves. You sound like a bunch of whiney crybabies. Been at this game 60 years since I'm now 75. Seen it all! This gets so old by a few on here that dominate the forum and are always crying about something.
Get over yourselves.

Nobody's perfect, even the grippers! Stay home if you want perfection or hunt by yourselves. You sound like a bunch of whiney crybabies. Been at this game 60 years since I'm now 75. Seen it all! This gets so old by a few on here that dominate the forum and are always crying about something.
Get over yourselves.
I see your point of view, but why did you read through the thread then if you saw the title😂😂😂. You were forewarned!

Get over yourselves.

You perfectly grasp the purpose of this post and engage in some terrific whining in response. Well done! Bravo! Keep it up! How about another whiney, bitch post? Come on, you can do it. Help out this thread.

Last edited:
Back