Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

Goosemaster: "It took my nephew five years to shoot a pheasant!" I admire his sticking with it. Such a trait may take him a long in way in life notwithstanding his rum uncle haha

Well, mine would be when hunting in a group (3 or more) and you lay out a plan and someone just has to do something different as "they saw birds over there", but the worst is when someone shoots at or shoots a hen, that really bothers me.

Forum dislikes..when almost everyone here says they "don't shoot low" or "on the ground"...and then in a different thread, everyone is shooting coyotes, cats, coons, opossums, rabbits, porkies and/or skunks, all while pheasant hunting...those are all on the ground and shooting them. If there is a dog along, is a recipe for disaster. When members here don't list a location in their bio and then tell about something and you have no idea where they might be located. I just imagine they are full of BS and want to make sure no one can track them down/recognize them and call them out. Last thing that I just don't get, is when members here won't support PF AND try to belittle their work and the things they have done. They can't do anything locally without local support. If PF isn't active or doing any projects in your area, look in the mirror. Get out and get others out, donations instead of crying...it costs money, lots of it, to create habitat. There is my venting.
I replied when I was at the end of page 3 or so....I just realized this thread really got off the rails. I don't drink much and it sure isn't part of my hunting. It makes my post seem "off topic" now. The talking and calling out the hens or rooster (if not in my area/range) seems to make little difference, especially after the gun fire begins. The hunting with the safety off is just a dangerous lazy thing to be doing.

Last edited:
Outside of opening weekend, I hunt mostly by myself. But, opening weekend normally involves a bigger family group. It always bothers me when someone turns a bird to mush by not letting it get out a bit, especially if there are less experienced hunters in the group who are looking to shoot their first bird. I think my sister went 10 years before she finally shot a bird that she knew was "hers".
I have family who are a work in progress. I've never done a group hunt. I have hunted with 3 other people, but we spread way out.

... When I came face to face with my counterpart on the opposing line, he handed me a bird saying I had to carry it because he was over the limit. Did he quit shooting for the rest of the day? Ha. He never observed the limits.

Several years ago, I used to waterfowl hunt with a guy that would shoot over his limit and tell me that I had to count the extra birds as part of my limit.

One morning we were hunting with new guy and as we were setting decoys, this the offender was bragging about a recent hunt where he shot more than his legal limit.

At that point, I stopped him and explained that if he was going to shoot over his limit today, and count it as part of my limit, that he should should shoot small birds.

He then asked: "Why?"

I then explained to him that any birds that he shot and wanted me to consider as part of my limit, I would be shoving up his arse.

He never shot over his limit in my presence again.

Most of my family are inept at hunting. We don't hunt big game, we don't drive suburbans.
He's actually pretty good hunter, not a great shot but he doesn't take bad shots. For deer he's looking for a once in a lifetime deer or some poor old buck that is well past it's prime.

He finally got the latter last season. Had to be 7-8 years old.

My older brother is the worst. Lives in NYC and comes back to WI for deer season/Thanksgiving. I nicknamed him the Great Wounder. He has injured more deer than anyone I can imagine. I bet in 40 years he's shot 20 deer, recovered ONE! Terrible shot, and thank God for that. He's the one that shot through my hair from 12 feet away when I was a kid. If he was a good shot, I'd be dead. (True story)

People that call GWPs Drahts really get my goat.
Finding breasted out birds in parking areas.
Upland “hunters” That pay to play/ shoot pen birds.
Guys that don’t count lost bird towards their limit.
Utards.

Several years ago, I used to waterfowl hunt with a guy that would shoot over his limit and tell me that I had to count the extra birds as part of my limit.

One morning we were hunting with new guy and as we were setting decoys, this the offender was bragging about a recent hunt where he shot more than his legal limit.

At that point, I stopped him and explained that if he was going to shoot over his limit today, and count it as part of my limit, that he should should shoot small birds.

He then asked: "Why?"

I then explained to him that any birds that he shot and wanted me to consider as part of my limit, I would be shoving up his arse.

He never shot over his limit in my presence again.
That sounded like a great plan.

What a thread!!! This thing has taken so many turns and it ended up with a whiskey discussion. A hunting trip without a good Pale Ale at the end of every day wouldn't be a day. and as the sun sets and the coyotes come out a little Makers Mark is necessary. It makes my feet, knees and shoulders feel so much better.

As for the things that really set me off have already been said but I'll say them again because it will make me feel better.
1. Anyone who is to noisy, whether its slamming a truck door or talking to their dog to much.
2. Anyone who can't control their dog
3. Anyone who can't read the cover and hunt accordingly
4. Anyone who doesn't pull their weight after the day has ended such as doing dishes, cooking meals, cleaning birds etc.

4. Anyone who doesn't pull their weight after the day has ended such as doing dishes, cooking meals, cleaning birds etc.

We have a guy on the pheasant trip who never cleans birds. I always volunteer to do it. Finally by the last night everyone brow beat this guy and forced him to get his hands dirty for a change.

We have a guy on the pheasant trip who never cleans birds. I always volunteer to do it. Finally by the last night everyone brow beat this guy and forced him to get his hands dirty for a change.

I stopped cleaning pheasants while on a multi-day hunt several years ago. There is no reason to do so, as you have to leave a wing or leg attached anyway and it is a joy killing chore at the end of a day's hunt.

We keep the birds whole, if it is cool enough we just leave them on the ground outside the cabin or trailer. If it is too warm, put them in a bag in the refrigerator.

Whoever takes birds home can clean them at their leisure when they get home.

When I get home I age the birds for a few days on the workbench in my garage or in the refrigerator before cleaning them.

Here's some additional bitching. (When it comes to bitching, I may be an expert.)

Hunted with a guy who always ran three GSPs. He just turned them loose and off they ran. Why? He honestly had no time to train them due to professional demands on him, and he seemed to be a "more is more" kinda guy. To his credit he became the best in the world in his field. But in every pheasant field, about one minute in he began yelling at the top of his lungs "Too far!!" as though the dogs had a clue. The yelling was more or less continuous. Behind his back we nicknamed him Too Far (his name). One morning when we were meeting up for a hunt, he turned loose his three GSPs and advised us that we needed to keep our dogs away from his dogs because HIS dogs had ringworm.

Last edited:
Drew wrote: "What a thread!!! This thing has taken so many turns and it ended up with a whiskey discussion." Hell yes!

Back